Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,826,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't side with ACLU on this issue but don't be fooled. The United States of America is not a Christian nation. Many of the founders, including Thomas Jefferson, found Christianity to be nothing more than brainwashing by the church.
Practically all of the founders were Christians, and even today every single State Constitution mentions God. Sounds like a Chriatian country to me.

Religious Affiliation of U.S. Founding Fathers# of Founding

Episcopalian/Anglican 54.7%
Presbyterian 18.6%
Congregationalist 16.8%
Quaker 4.3%
Dutch Reformed/German Reformed 3.7%
Lutheran 3.1%
Catholic 1.9%
Huguenot 1.9%
Unitarian 1.9%
Methodist 1.2%
Calvinist 0.6%

Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,229,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do school kids know that ?

You have protection against the state forming a national religion, that's what you have.

People have interpreted that to mean the sight of a bible on school property is promotion of a religion.
And like numerous people here have tried to explain to you--if you want people handing out Christian literature in a public school, then you can't complain if they hand out Satanist literature. Kids are free to bring their own bible to school with them--nothing is stopping them--but the school has to stay out of the business of allowing the distribution of religious materials on school property. As a parent, I take the job of providing religious education to my children very seriously. Those choices are made between my family and my church. There are a number of so called "Christian" denominations that preach what I consider a very distorted view of Christianity, and I don't think I should have to put up with having that kind of information presented to my children any more than I would want to have them taught about how to worship the devil. If other families aren't Christian, why would they want their kid sent home with a bible?

Bottom line--if you want your kids to learn Christianity, then teach it to them, but leave everyone else alone and let families do their job without the government sticking it's nose into religious training.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,138,536 times
Quote:
We let teachers bring their partisan opinions into the classroom and that seems to be ok.
We're going to let kids get the morning after pill in school without parental permission or notification and that seems to be ok as well.
Kids can get condoms in school without parental notification as well and that seems ok.

But a bible....OMG the sky is falling and the children will turn into extremists.

So politics and sex in school is ok but religion is not.
So, I should take it you are okay with the government allowing outside groups to distribute literature to you school-age children without telling you?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Practically all of the founders were Christians, and even today every single State Constitution mentions God. Sounds like a Chriatian country to me.

Religious Affiliation
of U.S. Founding Fathers# of
Founding
Fathers% of
Founding
FathersEpiscopalian/Anglican8854.7%Presbyterian3018.6%Congregationalis t2716.8%Quaker74.3%Dutch Reformed/German Reformed63.7%Lutheran53.1%Catholic31.9%Huguenot31. 9%Unitarian31.9%Methodist21.2%Calvinist10.6%TOTAL2 04
I said don't be fooled. You're letting yourself be fooled.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus." -Thomas Jefferson.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,717,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And like numerous people here have tried to explain to you--if you want people handing out Christian literature in a public school, then you can't complain if they hand out Satanist literature. Kids are free to bring their own bible to school with them--nothing is stopping them--but the school has to stay out of the business of allowing the distribution of religious materials on school property. As a parent, I take the job of providing religious education to my children very seriously. Those choices are made between my family and my church. There are a number of so called "Christian" denominations that preach what I consider a very distorted view of Christianity, and I don't think I should have to put up with having that kind of information presented to my children any more than I would want to have them taught about how to worship the devil. If other families aren't Christian, why would they want their kid sent home with a bible?

Bottom line--if you want your kids to learn Christianity, then teach it to them, but leave everyone else alone and let families do their job without the government sticking it's nose into religious training.
I haven't complained. But who is handing out Satanist literature these days ?

Atheism would be more appropriate. Send in the atheists with brochures. I won't complain.
If I brought my kid up right then I wouldn't be worried about a brochure or a book.
It's when you take them on a bus to a mosque and have them partake in religious ceremonies that I would complain about.
If you have taught your children that the bible is evil then why are you worried ? I'm sure they would not take a copy because of the way you brought them up.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Hey, I will happily put on the old yarmulke and give a lesson about Judiasm that's much more specific and less general.

Still, I don't think those parents will like it.
And you're right--a lot of the same people who want Christian teaching in public schools would completely freak out if you showed up and tried to hand out the Torah.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I said don't be fooled. You're letting yourself be fooled.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus." -Thomas Jefferson.
Are you allergic to historial facts?

Religious Affiliation of U.S. Founding Fathers# of Founding

Episcopalian/Anglican 54.7%
Presbyterian 18.6%
Congregationalist 16.8%
Quaker 4.3%
Dutch Reformed/German Reformed 3.7%
Lutheran 3.1%
Catholic 1.9%
Huguenot 1.9%
Unitarian 1.9%
Methodist 1.2%
Calvinist 0.6%

Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,138,536 times
Quote:

Atheism would be more appropriate. Send in the atheists with brochures. I won't complain.
If you have taught your children that the bible is evil then why are you worried ? I'm sure they would not take a copy because of the way you brought them up.
How about NAMBLA? Can they distribute literature at schools?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times
Quote:
We let teachers bring their partisan opinions into the classroom and that seems to be ok.
We're going to let kids get the morning after pill in school without parental permission or notification and that seems to be ok as well.
Kids can get condoms in school without parental notification as well and that seems ok.

But a bible....OMG the sky is falling and the children will turn into extremists.

So politics and sex in school is ok but religion is not.
I guess the idea here is that there is no separation of partisanship and government. There's also no separation of healthcare and government.

Frankly, there's no need to distribute a book that talks about rape, murder and other horrible acts to school aged children if it not part of the curriculum.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

The point is that when you open the door for one, you open the door for all. I don't think any kind of religious pamphlets or literature (or atheist, as you pointed out) is appropriate in a public school, and I don't want any of it handed out to my kids--MY JOB as a PARENT is to provide for their religious education--the government needs to stay the H out of it. Religion is one of the most personal decisions you can make. Luckily for me, the constitution and the SCOTUS view it the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies