Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the drinking age be in the US?
21 16 17.20%
18 42 45.16%
16 0 0%
18 for beer/wine, 21 for spirits 11 11.83%
16 for beer/wine, 18 for spirits 5 5.38%
There should not be a minimum, kids should be taught how to drink appropriately at an early age. 19 20.43%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM

104 posts, read 83,228 times

Advertisements

America is a country that is far more spread out than our European counterparts with much better public transportation. Drunk driving is a serious problem in America, and even though it irked me that I couldn't legally drink when I was 18, I see now why it should be 21.

We need to not only keep it at 21, but we should also make the national legal BAC 0.04 (this is coming folks, mark my words) and make the penalties for DUI's much stiffer. Too many people are killed each year because of drunk driving, the numbers are astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM

104 posts, read 83,228 times
Also, if the legal age is 18, then you will see plenty of 16 year old drunks driving around. It's much more common for 16 year olds to be hanging out with 18 year olds than it is for 16 year olds to be hanging out with 21 year olds. When I was 18 and in high school I didn't hang out with too many people who were 21 and older, but as soon as I went off to college when I was 19 and was on the track team, most of my friends were 21 and over and could get me (and did get me) alcohol whenever I wanted it. I lived on campus, and even though I drank illegally, I'd rather see 19 year olds drinking illegally than 16 year olds.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,383,547 times
Default Drinking Age Debate

I don't see any reason to lower the legal age, there are better things to do in life than getting drunk.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,487,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
Also, if the legal age is 18, then you will see plenty of 16 year old drunks driving around. It's much more common for 16 year olds to be hanging out with 18 year olds than it is for 16 year olds to be hanging out with 21 year olds. When I was 18 and in high school I didn't hang out with too many people who were 21 and older, but as soon as I went off to college when I was 19 and was on the track team, most of my friends were 21 and over and could get me (and did get me) alcohol whenever I wanted it. I lived on campus, and even though I drank illegally, I'd rather see 19 year olds drinking illegally than 16 year olds.
Then we should raise the driving age to 18. Few 16-year-olds are mature enough to be trusted with two tons of deadly metal, IMHO.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,977,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
old enough to fight and die for your country at age 18, then you are also old enough to drink. if you complain about that, then just raise the age of people joining the military to 21.

My thoughts exactly.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't see any reason to lower the legal age, there are better things to do in life than getting drunk.
Roaddog, people are always going to get drunk. This has been truth for thousands of years. You're not going to stamp it out overnight

Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM

11,368 posts, read 11,113,441 times
[quote=mb1547;29130969]
Quote:
When I was 18, the drinking age was 18. We had kids leaving our High School to go to the bar over lunch and coming back to school drunk. It wasn't a good thing.
Then they should be disciplined the same way an employer would discipline a worker if he or she came back from their lunch break intoxicated to work on the clock.

Quote:
That and the fact that American kids have to drive to go just about anywhere, so then you have young kids with zero judgment behind the wheel of cars drunk. I think it needs to stay where it is.
If they have zero judgment, they shouldn't be behind the wheel when sober.

In my opinion, it comes down to personal responsibility and good parenting (which judging by the recent rash of shootings and rapes committed by young adults really tells us a lot about our nation). I believe the drinking age should remain 21 (simply due to the fact that a majority of American youth lack maturity), but at the same time, maybe we should also look at redefining at what age someone becomes an "adult", as well as the other responsibilities and priveledges that come with that distinction.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM

36,792 posts, read 31,078,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I voted 18, and this is why:

Also, this should only apply to public or unsupervised drinking, and should be exempted for teens with parental supervision. Similar to how handgun ownership works. A minor (under age 18) cannot legally purchase, own, or possess a handgun. But they are allowed to shoot one with direct parental supervision. It should be the same for alcohol.

I had my first sip of wine on my 13th birthday at the dinner table. I did not die nor did I turn into a drunk.
I agree with this. Eighteen to legally buy alcohol or be permitted in a bar, but no age limit on parental supervision of alcohol consumption. Or raise the legal age to 21. These days most kids are under the wing of their parents at that age anyway.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,463,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The second is the whole issue of drunk driving. Quite rightly we have strict laws which punish such anti-social behavior. But one of the reasons that the age was raised back up to 21 was the problem of kids drinking and driving. However, I think that kids today have much more awareness of this issue and are probably more trustworthy than my generation was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
When I was 18, the drinking age was 18. We had kids leaving our High School to go to the bar over lunch and coming back to school drunk. It wasn't a good thing. That and the fact that American kids have to drive to go just about anywhere, so then you have young kids with zero judgment behind the wheel of cars drunk. I think it needs to stay where it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
We need to not only keep it at 21, but we should also make the national legal BAC 0.04 (this is coming folks, mark my words) and make the penalties for DUI's much stiffer. Too many people are killed each year because of drunk driving, the numbers are astounding.
I voted for 21, and agree with the statements above.

I, too, was 18 when the drinking age in NY (where I attended college) was 18. There were a TON of problems with kids 18-20 (and sometimes younger) drinking to excess, and sometimes driving while drunk.

Since the minimum drinking age was raised nationally to 21, there have been plenty of statistics gathered and studies done that show that thousands of lives have been saved since that time.

Minimum Drinking Age - Minimum Drinking Age of 21 Saves Lives

NIH Fact Sheets - Alcohol-Related Traffic Deaths

Beer Tax
Quote:
Since 1988, the minimum legal drinking age has been 21 in all 50 States and the District of Columbia. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates drinking age laws save more than 900 lives a year in traffic fatalities alone.
Minimum Legal Drinking Age

The argument that if a person is old enough to fight - and die - for his or her country, they should be able to legally drink alcohol is a powerful argument, and I really want to agree with it, but I can't. I just don't believe that 18-year-olds - as a group - are mature enough to drink responsibly. And the statistics gathered over the last 3-4 decades (with a lower-than-21 drinking age as well as with the national minimum drinking age of 21) would appear to prove this point very clearly.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,002,580 times
[quote=ditchlights;29132640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Then they should be disciplined the same way an employer would discipline a worker if he or she came back from their lunch break intoxicated to work on the clock.

If they have zero judgment, they shouldn't be behind the wheel when sober.

In my opinion, it comes down to personal responsibility and good parenting (which judging by the recent rash of shootings and rapes committed by young adults really tells us a lot about our nation). I believe the drinking age should remain 21 (simply due to the fact that a majority of American youth lack maturity), but at the same time, maybe we should also look at redefining at what age someone becomes an "adult", as well as the other responsibilities and priveledges that come with that distinction.
I think our schools need to start adopting the Japanese way of schooling as well. Kids have too much free time to get in trouble and whatnot. Make them so busy that they'll have to stay out of trouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies