Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the drinking age be in the US?
21 16 17.20%
18 42 45.16%
16 0 0%
18 for beer/wine, 21 for spirits 11 11.83%
16 for beer/wine, 18 for spirits 5 5.38%
There should not be a minimum, kids should be taught how to drink appropriately at an early age. 19 20.43%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,825,813 times

Advertisements

If you're old enough to die for this country, you're old enough to drink in it.

Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,219,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

Then they should be disciplined the same way an employer would discipline a worker if he or she came back from their lunch break intoxicated to work on the clock.

If they have zero judgment, they shouldn't be behind the wheel when sober.

In my opinion, it comes down to personal responsibility and good parenting (which judging by the recent rash of shootings and rapes committed by young adults really tells us a lot about our nation). I believe the drinking age should remain 21 (simply due to the fact that a majority of American youth lack maturity), but at the same time, maybe we should also look at redefining at what age someone becomes an "adult", as well as the other responsibilities and priveledges that come with that distinction.
I think you nailed this one, because I actually think the age of adulthood should be raised to 21. The only problem that raises is with kids who don't go on to higher education, and who are working full time and living away from their parents between the ages of 18 and 21.

I understand what SHOULD happen, but even great kids from great families and good parents can make really poor choices on occasion--they're teenagers, and sometimes they do really stupid things no matter how well they've been brought up. In situations where the parents don't parent, holding the parents accountable seems to work. When states get tough on underage drinking, it really can make a difference. We live in Nebraska within commuting distance of Lincoln. Parents used to BUY the kegs for their underage kid's high school parties, and Lincoln was known as a college party town. Now that Nebraska started arresting parents for supplying alcohol to minors that stopped. The same thing happened with a zero tolerance policy for underage drinking on campus. They started arresting kids for minor in possession, and way fewer college kids drink now. I have both college and high school aged kids, and at least in our school, the "cool" kids and student athletes don't drink anymore, so it's more of a reverse peer pressure--the kids who drink are outcasts.

The same thing happened with school truancy here--if your child misses more than 20 days of school for any reason except for school sponsored activities (even excused by the parents) the parents are turned over to the county prosecutor, and they leave it to the prosecutor to sort out if it was for legitimate medical reasons, etc. or not. It's amazing how quickly that cut down on kids taking "mental health days" every week, three week family vacations in the middle of the school year, and habitual truancy by kids who just didn't attend. They send a warning when you hit the "absent 10 days" mark so the parents are aware of attendance issues.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-15-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,487,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Then we should raise the driving age to 18. Few 16-year-olds are mature enough to be trusted with two tons of deadly metal, IMHO.
The days of "deadly metal" are long since past. It is now the age of "deadly plastic."

Personally, I consider anyone between the ages of 12 and 20 to be temporarily insane, and should be treated accordingly.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,150,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Personally, I consider anyone between the ages of 12 and 20 to be temporarily insane, and should be treated accordingly.
I had a wise lady tell me once, "that children.. especially boys.. lose their brain at 13. They find it sometime around the age of 25." From raising a son who is now in his late 20's, I concur that she was pretty much spot on.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,222,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I had a wise lady tell me once, "that children.. especially boys.. lose their brain at 13. They find it sometime around the age of 25." From raising a son who is now in his late 20's, I concur that she was pretty much spot on.
I called my mom when I was 24 years old and told here word for word "I am sorry for being such an idiot for the last ten years, thank you for not letting me do something so stupid that I would get myself killed"

She said she had waited for years for one of her sons to say that.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,347,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
A lot of that was simply because drinking water was often contaminated. Alcohol was guaranteed to be disease free. If you could drink water and risk getting sick due to contamination or drink beer and know you would be OK, why wouldn't you choose alcohol?
So, what did they drink when they were hung over and dehydrated from the alcohol? More alcohol, until they died of dehydration?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When I turned 18 the drinking age where I lived in Nebraska was 19. However, in Iowa (which was only 30 miles away) the drinking age was 18. A few months after I turned 18 I joined the Marine Corps and was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA, where the drinking age was 21.

I agree with the OP in that the drinking age should be determined by each State, not the federal government.
Kids from Nebraska crossed the river to party in Iowa all the time back then. Then they'd drive back home drunk.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, what did they drink when they were hung over and dehydrated from the alcohol? More alcohol, until they died of dehydration?
Did they dilute the alcohol with a lot of water so that it basically just disinfected the water? I don't know if that's right, but it would make sense. I know people through the ages have diluted wine pretty heavily, but I don't know about the rest.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,222,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I couldn't tell you. I just know most of the history books say that people often substituted alcohol for water for sanitary reasons.

A friend of mine who was born in the Ukraine told me that Russians used to do this was Vodka back in the day too. Deaths from alcohol were very high, but clean water was almost impossible to find, so people from that era did what they could.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Kids from Nebraska crossed the river to party in Iowa all the time back then. Then they'd drive back home drunk.
Same for Illinois/Wisconsin, Illinois drinking age was higher {21} than Wisconsin's {18}, kids came here to drink, then went back home to Illinois, Russel Road, the state line was once called "blood border".

russell road illinois - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies