Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Not only is it speculation, but soon, the speculation will turn to conspiracy theories about cover-ups. Every time something like this happens, news reports are all over the place as rumors get reported as truth but then turn out to be not true. Then the rumors all get recycled into a dark, secret cover-up. It's as predictable as the sun rising every day.
I had heard that BPD "knew" just a couple of hours after it happened.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 PM

78,354 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
I posted this in the current events but that forum apparently doesn't get much use. NY Post reporting that there are 12 dead, almost 50 wounded and a suspect is in the hospital being guarded. I'm not sure what "being guarded" means, or why he's being guarded but that's what they are reporting.

12 dead, nearly 50 injured after 2 explosions rock Boston Marathon, suspect identified and being guarded in hospital - NYPOST.com
^^^^Reason #412 why the NY Post isn't fit for wrapping dead fish in.

Report first, correct second. Zero credibility.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
In a sense, I hope it is. Much less reprocussions in terms of retaliation. Imagine if North Koreans were the ones who plotted this.. it'd be war.

I just don't think it looks like a very professional job. I don't know too much about these things, and I could very well be wrong though.
Use of pressure cookers sure sounds like a backwoods type of person or people. Once authorities are able to track the materials used, they'll have a better idea of who dunnit.

In my state, you don't have to be licensed to obtain black powder, but, there is a limit of how much one can purchase at a time, and a drivers license must be used for identification.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Not only is it speculation, but soon, the speculation will turn to conspiracy theories about cover-ups. Every time something like this happens, news reports are all over the place as rumors get reported as truth but then turn out to be not true. Then the rumors all get recycled into a dark, secret cover-up. It's as predictable as the sun rising every day.
Obama may change the story to fit his image as not being a terrorist attack. Speculative Obama story= A man who was mad because the sneaker company that fired him lead him to blow up people who wore sneakers.. just as crazy the story about the video that supposedly killed the four Americans in Bengazi.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It's all speculation at this point, but I tend to agree with you.

My "gut" tells me (and my gut is rarely wrong) that this wasn't the work of a large, foreign group.

Possibly a small, home-grown group who sympathizes with or who are wannabes of some larger terrorist group.

I also don't think the closeness of the date to other events (Columbine, Waco, OKC, Hitler's birthday.....) can be discounted yet.

And, there are some other theories floating around out there that are possibilities, too.

Anyway, none of us know yet, but my almost never wrong gut says it was "domestic."

Also, I suspect that the investigation probably already knows more than what they're saying. If anyone thinks that they are going to give all us armchair quarterbacks on City Data an hourly update on what they know or don't know, or that they should, well.......that's just nuts.
Wouldn't surprise me if they already know who they're looking for.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM

78,354 posts, read 60,556,941 times
How quickly we all forget Richard Jewell.

ADD is alive and well in this thread.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
I guess I'll vote with the domestic terrorist folks. A black powder explosion on Tax Day and Patriots' Day? In Boston, the site of colonial rebellions?

I think the Saudi dude was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is some lunatic fringe of the Tea Party, such as we can see here any day encouraging rebellion for constitutional and taxation reasons.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if they already know who they're looking for.
Nor me.

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why so confrontational, mb? Sheesh!

I just thought it was interesting that you speculated for several sentences, and then opined that it does not good to speculate, that's all. Get over whatever you need to get over - not everyone is trying to attack with everything they write, you know.

It's crap like this that makes me wonder why I bother with this forum. People are always far too adversarial to have an intelligent, reasonable discussion. I had high hopes for Great Debates, but that's just PoC, redux.
There's a difference between talking about the significance of the location and the date to different groups--and then stating there may be no significance at all, vs. making claims that I'm sure it's this group or that group. That's was my point--that both foreign and anti-government terrorist could have targeted the Boston Marathon for a reason, so there's no way to be "sure" who did it, or to even guess at this point. Can you READ?

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why should all people with "darker skin" be suspect? Do you think they all belong to the Al Queada?

Of course not but no one can tell without being investigated if they "act" suspicious. If they don't "act" weird, then they float by, even if they ARE a terrorist.

Tell me who you think our enemies are? I'm dying to know. Teh only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Well, I wouldn't want to be the reason for your death, honey, Jihadists, Al Queada. N. Korea comes to mind, too many to list, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies