Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Jealousy is a negative, regressive state of mind.

The jealous thought is “I want what you have, and thus until I have it, you shouldn’t have it either.”

Why are people so jealous of successful people? Especially people who don't want to do what it takes to become successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Behind every great fortune is a great crime...

Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Not really.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
"Why are people so jealous of successful people?", said the Count to the Marquis, on their way to the guillotine.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

335 posts, read 517,817 times
Quote:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones ~ Einstein

Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Jealousy is a negative, regressive state of mind. The jealous thought is “I want what you have, and thus until I have it, you shouldn’t have it either.”

Why are people so jealous of successful people?
I can hazard some guesses on this.

1. We have been brought up to believe that this is the land of opportunity and that everyone in the United States can raise themselves up by the bootstraps. Only......in the past few years we have learned that the game is rigged. That those with money and power (and the corresponding influence over politicians that those things bring) is king. That those in big business and those in politics are one in the same, and that they switch roles regularly. That they don't care about the people who vote them in, they lie with impunity, they are getting rich through their lies and connections. When you continually see those in power breaking the law and financially benefiting because of unethical behavior you become angry and jealous. You also stop believing in the American ideal we were all raised to believe in, and when you stop believing you become angry and jealous.

2. It's easier to be jealous of the money and power of others, than it is to work and strive for your own success.

3. When you're working harder and longer just to stay in place it makes you angry. When you feel that the game is rigged against you, that government is placing more and more restrictions on you and making it harder to earn a decent living, when you continually live in fear that your increasingly tenuous grip on your life will fall apart it makes you fearful. Which manifests itself in anger at those (with all the power and money) calling the shots from their privileged "ivory towers".

4. You were raised to believe that the good guys always won out, and that when the bad guys screwed you over it would eventually come back to bite them in the a$$. And then you grow up, and realize that the good guys don't always finish first. That bad guys (over and over) seem to come out on top.

5. You try to do the right thing and plan for retirement, and then one day you wake up, turn on the TV and learn that the entire financial system of the world is about to collapse because of the greed and illegal actions of millionaires on Wall Street. You hear about CEO's who get paid $250 million to have their contracts bought out because of their ineffectual leadership. You see the government bailing out large companies with your tax dollars after the CEO's flew on their private jets to Washington to beg for money. You see the feds tossing money at green energy companies and then learn that after the companies inevitably go belly up the CEO's made millions on the deals. And in the meantime your 401K is worth half of what it was five years ago, your house in underwater, you haven't been on a vacation in three years, and you have to delay retirement for 10 years.

6. The propaganda we have been fed for the past few years is beginning to worm its way into the collective psyche of the American people. Pay a little more. Spread the wealth around. Pay their fair share. Tax the rich. Can afford to pay a little bit more. All phrases we never heard just a few years ago - which feels like a lifetime ago. We have become a nation of haves and have-nots that has been reinforced by the government propaganda. Say it enough times and it becomes true.

7. There will always be self-involved, shallow people who simply feel jealous of what other people have, and are too lazy to work and get it for themselves.

There's a bunch of other reasons why people feel angry, jealous, feel disinfranchesed, hopeless, helpless. Those are some of them.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:

The jealous thought is “I want what you have, and thus until I have it, you shouldn’t have it either.”

Why are people so jealous of successful people? Especially people who don't want to do what it takes to become successful.
What do you mean by successful?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Behind every great fortune is a great crime...
No. Not necessarily.

Success doesn't mean wealth, by the way. Well I guess it could if money is your god.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Quote:

This is an easy answer, but no one will believe it. The last few generations have been told from a very young age that everyone is a winner and there is no reason why you can't have everything you want. The problem is that they didn't bother to teach these same people that for every winner there must be a loser and more importantly no one bothered to teach them that the only way to become successful was to actually work at it.

So what happens is you get a whole bunch of people all standing around waiting to become successful or "winners" and then getting angry when nothing happens.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
No. Not necessarily.

Success doesn't mean wealth, by the way. Well I guess it could if money is your god.
That's most Americans god. Which is why I asked the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies