Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is what the OP first wrote:
I could have missed this on the news, but so far I haven't heard Obama use any form of the word "terrorism" regarding the bombings in Boston yet (as of 4/16/13 at 12:23 pm).

Has he, to anyone's knowledge?

Do you believe this term is an important designation? Does it make any difference or not? Do you believe using the term, or choosing not to use that term, is significant?
To me this is just another replay of politics that were at play in the aftermath of the Benghazi consulate attack; when did the President call it terrorism and why did it take so long yada, yada, yada. It is a semantically argument of absolutely no import and I find it a similarly distasteful dissent in to political gamesmanship played on the back of the suffering of others.

Violent acts, mass killing, terrorist attack, act of terror, who the frack cares (he asks rhetorically) outside of the criminal process of charging the perpetrators with the appropriate crime? Colloquially speaking feel free to use any of the above, they are all appropriate. The mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School was all the above why do we not debate the appropriate appellation for a mass shootings or is the problem that terrorism is reserved for non-domestic actors?
I don't disagree with you at all, and I have my own theories about why the OP brought it up. I was only pointing out that she's not talking about "mass murder" as opposed to some sort of terrorism. For the record, I don't think that politicians are up to some dastardly scheme by talking about an "act of terror" as opposed to "terrorist attack" and I don't think the choice of words indicates what sort of action they'll take in the future. To me, the terms are interchangeable.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,762,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I do, however, believe that words have meanings, sometimes quite subtle meanings.
Words do matter. A lot. Pay attention.
However, there is not just one definition for any given word or phase; there are many. We cannot be so arrogant as to assert that our definition is the only definition.

Last edited by bongo; 04-17-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Ithink he will want to leave the charges to the FBI and prosecutors. He has realises that FBI is investigating it has terrorist act. That allows Mass. murder to be tried as capital offense when a state murder charge would not carry that penalty.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Terror doesn't kill people - PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. This isn't an "act of terror." This isn't a "terror attack." Terror can't act - it's an emotion. This weenie talk makes me sick.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,120,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how simply using a bomb makes it an act of terrorism. People can use bombs to kill civilians for non-political reasons. The Columbine Massacre used bombs, but it was not labeled terrorism because it was not politically motivated.

So either the FBI has evidence that this is politically motivated, or this is propaganda.
One of the first airline bombings was on a flight out of Denver in 1955. Some nut wanted to kill his mom, so he put a bomb in her luggage. He just happened to kill 43 other people too.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,499,572 times
Quote:
I could have missed this on the news, but so far I haven't heard Obama use any form of the word "terrorism" regarding the bombings in Boston yet (as of 4/16/13 at 12:23 pm).

Has he, to anyone's knowledge?

Do you believe this term is an important designation? Does it make any difference or not? Do you believe using the term, or choosing not to use that term, is significant?
The term is not important.

[it's just a label]

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The term is not important.

[it's just a label]
Really?

Words MEAN something. I despise the label "terror attack."

This implies that TERROR came, like a bolt out of the sky, and SMOTE the people. No, folks, it wasn't TERROR that planted the bombs in Boston - it was a real person (or people). Real criminals, real perpetrators. NOT TERROR. TerrorISTS perhaps, but not terror itself.

Terror doesn't kill people - criminals kill people. Terrorists kill people.

Damn it, I hate the way the English language is contorted and meanings are watered down.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,562,078 times
And so we have yet ANOTHER pointless, splitting hairs thread from the Obama Hater Peanut Gallery....shocking

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
I just found out that Obama said this about an hour ago:

Boston Bombings ‘Act Of Terrorism,’ Obama Says - ABC News

So - he says it's being investigated as an act of terrorism. And actually, ABC - he STILL hasn't said directly that this IS A TERRORIST ATTACK. Remember - he's a lawyer. Pay very close attention to the exact phraseology.

To me, there is no QUESTION that it's terrorism. There was no question yesterday, as soon as the first bomb was found. Bomb - detonation - civilian targets - TERRORISM.
Did he say so in the Rose Garden?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And so we have yet ANOTHER pointless, splitting hairs thread from the Obama Hater Peanut Gallery....shocking
Shame, shame.

Very few people hate the president.

Most of us simply disagree strongly with his policies.

"Hate" is a word that the left loves to throw around in order to shut down debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies