Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I received a little flier from BJ's Club, advertising membership to their store. The flier has several pages and contains a "free" membership card. It goes on to describe some of their products and the advantages of membership.

The entire leaflet is basically in Spanish. Sometimes, English and Spanish are both on a leaflet, but this is the first one I have received that is almost entirely in Spanish (there are a few English words on it - enough to easily count them). Whenever English is used, it is clearly secondary: Spanish is in large font, bolded red or black ink, etc. English is in much smaller font in gray ink.

I have no problem with advertisers catering to a demographic if they think that doing so will bring them more customers and/or business.

However, I thought I lived in the US and while I know that there is no official language, wouldn't you think that big box stores first and foremost use English to entice new customers, especially if they do not know their background?

If we lived in a heavily latino area, had a last name that seemed like it could be latino/hispanic, etc. I could understand the mental leap that BJ's took. Alas, none of this applies. Thus, BJ's apparently believes it's best to contact potential new customers in Spanish, first.

Mind you, I am an immigrant to this country. I also learned English - because I figured that it's the dominant language here. Fortunately, I have Spanish as part of my repertoire as well - seems like I should start brushing up on it in order to facilitate life here in the good ole' US of A.

Frankly, I was offended by receiving a leaflet that is completely in Spanish. I am thinking about contacting BJ's Club in yet another language since, apparently, we don't need to have a common language around here. Of course, they'd do with my letter exactly what I am going to do with theirs: Ignore it!

Clearly, they were trying to court me as a customer, but they've certainly managed to achieve the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Maybe their market surveys indicated their sales demographic was primarily Hispanic and it was more economical to send out their blurb in Spanish. The probably gained more customers than they lost. That is why they advertize to specific groups.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
That's what I thought, too. Alas, this is an affluent, overwhelmingly Caucasian (and English-speaking) area. Since the store has been around for many years, I am guessing that they are trying to expand their market share by actively recruiting hispanics.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
If it was a worthless pursuit, they probably wouldn't do it. We are a changing nation...we are becoming more diverse (something which I really have no problem with). Everybody always wants things to "stay the same" as if barely 200+ years of history is really some mark of permanence in a world that is over 4 billion years old. Let it ride, dude...

Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Call & complain to the company & then boycott them.

I would find it frustrating as well. I think I would even write a letter to management.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Call & complain to the company & then boycott them.

I would find it frustrating as well. I think I would even write a letter to management.
This. I'd be annoyed by it.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
It's getting like that here, in the coastal mid-Atlantic, over 1000 miles from any Spanish speaking country. Now my wife is Colombian and when all her legal paperwork came through and she was able to work I decided to help her in the looking process by snooping around to see who was hiring. I learned a lot, because the few year-round jobs in the rural area here cater to the hispanics and I had no way of finding what places were looking for work. The seasonal jobs in the resort city here all cater to Russians and Eastern Europeans so I had no idea of any of those places as well. There was nothing in any of the papers, radio, or local TV. She found work on her own. The spanish language periodicals and towns where a lot of mexicans lived were plastered with help wanted adds and flyers----in Spanish only. Very hard for an American to find out who was hiring here.

So pretty much here it seems if your an American (last I checked this part was in the US but I'm not quite sure any more) you need to own your own business, be in real estate or become a bar tender to have a job.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Interesting that so many people want to dictate to a private business how it should advertise, the same way the government of Québec bans any advertising that's not in French.

I often see ads on buses (usually for McDonald's) that are entirely in Spanish or Chinese, but it's never occurred to me to get bent out of shape about them.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Just throw the flier away and move on with your life. If you get angry or offended at this kind of innocuous stuff, you might need some professional help or mood altering medication.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:36 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
My late husband used to work for BJ's warehouse for the East Coast and he was about the only one who spoke English. No wonder management wanted him to become one of "them" so badly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies