Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then why the hell did it take 19 years to find her out if Catholic teaching is so adamantly against homosexual behavior? Surely it was well known she wasn't married to a man. Why didn't they spy on her?
THat's the big issue in my mind. If it was "She applied, and got fired after a year for munching carpets", then I wouldn't have an issue with it. 19 years, no. THat's just wrong on many levels.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I REPEAT: Will they be firing everyone who knew she was gay and didn't report her? THAT is also a sin an incompatible with the church and just as bad a "role model" as anything else we are talking about here.

It's way too bogged down with dirty details that mean nothing. This is the battle we are fighting now because we are stupid. Yes, I said it. We are stupid. Once we get past it there will be no "sin" problems with employment, I don't care what church-school you are working at or what the belief of the newly converted CEO is. Done and done and religion better get used to that idea. Everyone at that school is doing something that is incompatible with the church and making them look bad in the eyes of whatever god they pretend to be serving. The BC users, the masturbaters (yeah...NO ONE IS DOING THAT), the liars, the fill in the blank here and you know you look stupid stupid stupid. I really can't stress that word enough.

Now, if there was a problem with her sexuality at the school that was clearly disturbing the way things worked then there might be a reason to fire her, but after 19 years I'll go out on a limb and say there wasn't. I wonder, did they ask if she was gay at the interview? It probably didn't even come up so lying in irrelevant.

And NO, you don't get to fire someone after 19 years for lying in a job interview and you don't get to fire someone after 19 years who, since the job interview, came to a realization about themselves that was nobodies business.

Last edited by Ceece; 04-23-2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I REPEAT: Will they be firing everyone who knew she was gay and didn't report her? THAT is also a sin an incompatible with the church and just as bad a "role model" as anything else we are talking about here.
It's really irrelevant. This isn't about whether the church is hypocritical here. It's whether or not they can be. They can.

Quote:
It's way too bogged down with dirty details that mean nothing. This is the battle we are fighting now because we are stupid. Yes, I said it. We are stupid. Once we get past it there will be no "sin" problems with employment, I don't care what church-school you are working at or what the belief of the newly converted CEO is. Done and done and religion better get used to that idea. Everyone at that school is doing something that is incompatible with the church and making them look bad in the eyes of whatever god they pretend to be serving. The BC users, the masturbaters (yeah...NO ONE IS DOING THAT), the liars, the fill in the blank here and you know you look stupid stupid stupid. I really can't stress that word enough.
Whether or not God approves really doesn't come into play here. If you want to take swipes at them because of the reasons you note, I suppose you can.

Quote:
Now, if there was a problem with her sexuality at the school that was clearly disturbing the way things worked then there might be a reason to fire her, but after 19 years I'll go out on a limb and say there wasn't. I wonder, did they ask if she was gay at the interview? It probably didn't even come up so lying in irrelevant.

And NO, you don't get to fire someone after 19 years for lying in a job interview and you don't get to fire someone after 19 years who, since the job interview, came to a realization about themselves that was nobodies business.
Actually you can.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Some people don't want their kids taught by gay people, thats why they choose private schools.
No big deal, just don't hang out where you're not wanted.
I went to a private middle/high school, and had at LEAST 3-4 openly gay teachers in my time there - and that was from 1989-94. We had a few at our private elementary school too, in fact we even had a 1st grade teacher who was HIV+ (and passed away in the early '90s)... my brother was in his class, and still considers him one of the most wonderful and inspiring influences in his entire student "career."

Did you mean to say Catholic schools?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Are you planning on throwing out the first amendment? It is a religious school, if this were a secular school I would agree with you. But, it is not. It is up to them to decide which sins are worthy of being fired over.
This bears repeating:
Quote:
The Bona Fide Occupational Qualification Defense (BFOQ)
Even under the statutes, there are certain situations in which “religion, sex, or national origin is a bona fide occupational qualification reasonably necessary to the normal operation of that particular business or enterprise.” 42 U.S.C.A. 2000e-2(e). This is called a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ). An employer accused of discrimination may therefore raise the defense that there is a justification for discriminating against the complainant. The employer then has the burden of proving what justification exists for their discriminatory behavior. Note: there is no BFOQ defense available when the discrimination is based on race.
Oh, and just because you get away with something for 19 years does not mean you are exempt when it is found out.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why do women choose to become lesbians? Is it because they tried having sex with a man. Then they tried having sex with a woman and from there decided sex with a woman feels a lot better?

Did you choose to be straight after engaging in homosexual activity first?

I first knew I was straight at the age of nine while watching "One Million Years B.C."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies