Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
...and what will we end up with? A country full of bastards, a breakdown in the extended family unit, and government social programs forced to pick up the slack to help single parents raise the next generation.

I suppose a total police state will be fine with this, treat their citizens like one big collective, with the state raising all the children, so the unwashed masses can concentrate on working for the state.
What are you talking about?!?!? There are a ton of out of wedlock children being raised by single mom's or dad's or grandparents. This is all already happening and SSM isn't even legal.

I understand your argument as to why the government is involved, but times have changed and your arguments don't hold up.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
...and what will we end up with? A country full of bastards, a breakdown in the extended family unit, and government social programs forced to pick up the slack to help single parents raise the next generation.

I suppose a total police state will be fine with this, treat their citizens like one big collective, with the state raising all the children, so the unwashed masses can concentrate on working for the state.
You mean what we have now with 50% divorce rates, and over a million children born a year out of wedlock?

It wasn't "the gays" who did that.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What do you think the purpose and function is?

I already said that it is a commitment between two people who love and care for each other that offers certain protections and benefits under the law. The couple can chose to raise children together, or chose not to have kids. I am not religious and in all honesty this is all I see marriage to be.
You've idefined a domestic partnership, where two people agree to raise each others children, or adopt children and raise them together. But the partners can choose not to raise children, since they need to jump thru a lot of legal hoops to find surrogate mothers or sperm donors. but the child is only related to one partner.

Marriage is a legal contract between a man and woman who create and raise children together thru procreation.

I'm not opposed to same-sex couples raising children, but the differences between the laws that would govern SSM and traditional marriage would be different. For example, since there is no procreation between the partners in a SSM, then blood relations would not be a legal barrier to being in a SSM. Two divorced or widowed sisters could be married under SSM to raise their children together. because SSM and traditional marriage would be fundamentally different.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You mean what we have now with 50% divorce rates, and over a million children born a year out of wedlock?

It wasn't "the gays" who did that.
wow, why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

The reason the people asked government to involve itself in marriage was because we are trying to prevent "50% divorce rates, and over a million children born a year out of wedlock."

BTW, gay people are just people, with the same flaws and problems maintaining long term personal relationships as anyone else. They are not different from other people, in that they do get divorced, and can end up raising children alone.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You've idefined a domestic partnership, where two people agree to raise each others children, or adopt children and raise them together. But the partners can choose not to raise children, since they need to jump thru a lot of legal hoops to find surrogate mothers or sperm donors. but the child is only related to one partner.

Marriage is a legal contract between a man and woman who create and raise children together thru procreation.

I'm not opposed to same-sex couples raising children, but the differences between the laws that would govern SSM and traditional marriage would be different. For example, since there is no procreation between the partners in a SSM, then blood relations would not be a legal barrier to being in a SSM. Two divorced or widowed sisters could be married under SSM to raise their children together. because SSM and traditional marriage would be fundamentally different.
Except when it's not. Like when 2 elderly people get married, or when infertile people get married, or when states have laws that say the couple must prove that they are INFERTILE to be allowed to get married.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
wow, why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

The reason the people asked government to involve itself in marriage was because we are trying to prevent "50% divorce rates, and over a million children born a year out of wedlock."

BTW, gay people are just people, with the same flaws and problems maintaining long term personal relationships as anyone else. They are not different from other people, in that they do get divorced, and can end up raising children alone.
Claiming marriage is only about reproduction is a fallacy. There are people that get married every day that are incapable of reproduction, There are people every day that get married that choose not to have children.
There are even people that have to prove that they CAN'T have children in order to get married.

Marriage does not require reproduction, and reproduction does not require marriage.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Except when it's not. Like when 2 elderly people get married, or when infertile people get married, or when states have laws that say the couple must prove that they are INFERTILE to be allowed to get married.
Beat me to it.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
C'mon already!!! Can we stop rehashing the same thing over and over and over ad nauseum! People that oppose same-sex marriage oppose same sex marriage regardless of how you or anyone else feels about it, just like people that are for, are for it. I wish people would stop trying to analyze, pick apart or rationalize the opposition so that they can "change" everyone. One side calls the others "haters" and "homophobes because they won't get on board with what's "popular". What are people supposed to do, all become athiests or change to the "politically correct" edition of the holy bible? Look, people aren't all going to agree with you.....period, regardless of how much you name-call, label, try to rationalize. Their beliefs are just as solid and correct in their minds as yours are. Do you want tolerance? Try tolerating others that don't agree with you. Accept that some are going to be for and some against...no matter what side you are on. I do, I favor one side and realize not everyone is like me.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Marriage is between a man and a woman.
According to????

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Claiming marriage is only about reproduction is a fallacy. There are people that get married every day that are incapable of reproduction, There are people every day that get married that choose not to have children.
There are even people that have to prove that they CAN'T have children in order to get married.

Marriage does not require reproduction, and reproduction does not require marriage.

An infertile couple is just a couple who have tried for a year to make a baby and failed. But after 30 years of trying, these infertile couples do create babies. I think you are referring to sterile couples, and they are very rare. We want to encourage all our sexually active men and women strongly consider marriage, so we don't intrude into their lives, demanding batteries of fertility tests and such.

Marriage, procreation and the future that children represent is so crucial to our survival as a nation, that we allow men and women to marry, because we want to encourage them to marry, NOT discourage them. Even an elderly couple who marry, most times have children and grandchildren of their own.

The benefit to society that the extended family unit provide is also very important to any society. With strong ties and relationships between families taking care of each other, during the good and bad times, they provide a vital function in society by alleviating the need for government to step in and take care of its citizens.

So we promote, endorse and encourage marriage, just as we support the larger family unit, of aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies