Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's also incorrect.

You don't have to be mirandized to have those rights.
The idea is that they want to "compel" him to talk. Giving him the Miranda warning won't exactly "compel" him to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
this seems to be a grey area created by the patriot act. interrogation by a federal official for 48 hours then the person in custody must then be marandized.

This 48 hours is the grey area. Can they infact interrogate him and not provide him a lawyer if he requests one? do the contitue the interroagtion? what is the purpose of not informing him of his 5th amendment rights?

this maybe case law to challenge that provision in the patriot act.
My sense is that they can hold him for interrogation, but he still retains his civil rights: he can steadfastly refuse to answer questions and demand an attorney when the period ends.

Now, in practice, his ability to resist interrogation depends partly on his fortitude and partly on the method of interrogation. But if I were the federal prosecutor, I wouldn't risk such a high-profile case by allowing the use of "extreme methods" - that could backfire hugely.

15,101 posts, read 8,647,627 times
Quote:
Nope, you are incorrect. Just because they don't mirandize him, doesn't mean he doesn't have the right. They are just not informing him of said right

He can say "I'm not talking, get my lawyer". There is nothing they can do.
Nope, you are incorrect. If you are in the custody of armed men who reject the notion that you have rights, and decide to ignore them, you can say whatever you care to say ... fat lot of good that's going to do you if they ignore you. It's really pretty simple. We all have the right not to be robbed, but try explaining that to the robber, and see how much good it will do you!

2,117 posts, read 1,882,260 times
I think it's awfuly dangerous to re-classify a US citizen as an "enemy combatant" without first having proven their guilt in the court of law.

The entire idea behind behind this is contradictory to our constitution, and entire judicial system.

We've turned into a nation of cowards, so afraid of terror attacks that we are willing to give up any and all constitutional rights so we can live another day to watch "Teen Mom" while borwsing Facebook and eating a bag of Cheetos.

Disgusting.

10,655 posts, read 18,672,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
this seems to be a grey area created by the patriot act. interrogation by a federal official for 48 hours then the person in custody must then be mirandized.

This 48 hours is the grey area. Can they infact interrogate him and not provide him a lawyer if he requests one? do they...or are they able to contitue the interroagtion? what is the purpose of not informing him of his 5th amendment rights?

this maybe case law to challenge that provision in the patriot act.
The 48 hours only applies to reading of the rights.

Suspect still obtains the rights.

They're probably screwed as I think he's kind of unconscious and might be through the 48 hour period... I wonder how that works.

Agents can delay Miranda warnings in some cases

Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I think it's awfuly dangerous to re-classify a US citizen as an "enemy combatant" without first having proven their guilt in the court of law.

The entire idea behind behind this is contradictory to our constitution, and entire judicial system.

We've turned into a nation of cowards, so afraid of teror attacks that we are willing to give up any and all constitutional rights so we can live another day to watch "Teen Mom" while borwsing Facebook and eating a bag of Cheetos.

Disgusting.
He hasn't been classified as an enemy combatant, and it's doubtful that he will be. It's already been stated that they're going to try him in civilian court.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
My sense is that they can hold him for interrogation, but he still retains his civil rights
Being branded as an "enemy combatant" effectively strips him of his rights and due process, per Patriot Act and NDAA2012.

If he is even loosely educated on our current judicial system, he isn't saying a word - because, in the end, it doesn't matter.

4,684 posts, read 4,576,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Nope, you are incorrect. If you are in the custody of armed men who reject the notion that you have rights, and decide to ignore them, you can say whatever you care to say ... fat lot of good that's going to do you if they ignore you. It's really pretty simple. We all have the right not to be robbed, but try explaining that to the robber, and see how much good it will do you!
You're saying they'll torture him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's your OPINION only, not the law.

I prefer to avoid the hysterics and opinion, and provide the actual law/facts.

You're entitled to your opinion, that does not make what I stated incorrect.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
He hasn't been classified as an enemy combatant, and it's doubtful that he will be. It's already been stated that they're going to try him in civilian court.
According to Reuters, a short bit ago, Senator Lindsey Graham is leading a big push to make sure that he be classified as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies