Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a liberal or a conservative?
Liberal 38 35.19%
Conservative 30 27.78%
Fiscally Liberal, Socially Conservative 7 6.48%
Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Obama is a fiscal liberal and social conservative.
lloloolol

Someone needs to take a couple 100 level political science and sociology courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think he is pretty far from social conservative. No one who is pro-gay marriage and pro-abortion is socially conservative.
Do you truly believe that Obama supports gay marriage? He mentioned it once b4 the election and i guarantee he doesn't mention it again for the rest of his term.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Do you truly believe that Obama supports gay marriage? He mentioned it once b4 the election and i guarantee he doesn't mention it again for the rest of his term.
Bwaaaahahahahahahah!

Seriously?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
"Liberaal" means wanting larger government, more intrusion and control.

"Conservative" means wanting small government.

If you think you are "socially liberal but fiscally conservative", it means you want more government intrusion and control in some areas but not in others. In other words, you are liberal.

If you think you are "socially conservative but fiscally liberal", it means you want more government intrusion and control in some areas but not in others. In other words, you are liberal.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
He said he does, so I'll have to take his word for it, and he has definetly mentioned it more than once.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If you think you are "socially liberal but fiscally conservative", it means you want more government intrusion and control in some areas but not in others. In other words, you are liberal.
Or independent.

Quote:
If you think you are "socially conservative but fiscally liberal", it means you want more government intrusion and control in some areas but not in others. In other words, you are liberal.
Or independent.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Since they are your views, they are yours describe. A lot of independents supported Paul even though they disagreed with him on some issues. A lot of socially liberal independents disagree with his pro-life stance, and that he defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman, or that he would legalize only medical marijuana. Some socially conservatives disagree with his anti death penalty stance, and his proposal to stop the war on drugs, and that he is not anti-gay (despite of his defenition of marriage).
Yes, and I don't agree with everything he proposed. However, I think some of his views (abortion, gay marriage, etc) were more about moving this power to the states rather than the federal government. Sometimes people mistake a position taken because it does not fit the common definition. For example, I oppose a federal or state law authorizing gay or plural marriage. This is because I believe government should not tell us who and how many we can marry. A gay or plural marriage law simply confirms that the government can tell us who we can marry.

Quote:
People are willing to sacrifice on issues like that, because they recognize that Ron Paul has identified the root causes to our bigger problems, and they agree with his approach to fixing them, even then they agree that is would be a tough road. People are tired of divisive partisanship which is all the Dems and Repubs have to offer. I personally do not care that the Repubs say when they talk about small government, because I know they have no intent of delivering it.
I agree. I have always said Reps like big government and Dems like even bigger government. Also, Dems like a huge military and Reps like an even bigger military. Neither party wants a small government. Neither party wants a small military. Neither party wants personal freedom.

And that's why I support Ron Paul.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, and I don't agree with everything he proposed. However, I think some of his views (abortion, gay marriage, etc) were more about moving this power to the states rather than the federal government. Sometimes people mistake a position taken because it does not fit the common definition. For example, I oppose a federal or state law authorizing gay or plural marriage. This is because I believe government should not tell us who and how many we can marry. A gay or plural marriage law simply confirms that the government can tell us who we can marry.
Well, he said he defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman, but I know he said something about talking government out of it as well. As for abortion, Ron Paul is strictly against it, and he considers it murder. Maybe it has to do with the fact that he has delivered over 1000 babies.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I think he is pretty far from social conservative. No one who is pro-gay marriage and pro-abortion is socially conservative.

I'm not talking about what he says. I'm talking about what he has done, which is nothing, to advance social freedom.

In fact, he has increased raids on medical marijuana shops in CA.

Being pro-gay marriage is not social freedom. It's just expanding the power of the government to tell us who we can marry.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Bwaaaahahahahahahah!

Seriously?

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies