Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM

30,445 posts, read 52,132,045 times

Advertisements

Furthermore, gay marriage rights aren't only about job benefits... the rights associated with marriage also include inheritance, hospital visitation, adoption/custody, VA benefits, along with nearly 1000 others. So even if your theory was correct, it doesn't mean they (people with non-benefited jobs) wouldn't gain any rights from marrying their partner.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 PM

30,445 posts, read 52,132,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
Are white people more accepting of homosexuality because they are less likely to believe in God?
Kind of, but not really. In the Hispanic community it's more likely because they are specifically Catholic, which is less accepting of homosexuality than some Christian sects. In terms of the Black community, they are more often Baptist, which again is less accepting than other religions & forms of Christianity. I know quite a few gay people who are religious themselves, so it isn't just an issue of believing in G-d or not.

P.S. You also have the culture of "machismo" in the Hispanic community, where gender roles are enforced and specifically designated. I've lived and worked in many Hispanic-dominant neighborhoods, and saw regular examples of this with my own eyes.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 PM

138 posts, read 155,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Homosexual Americans in general have higher salaries and "disposable income" than heterosexual Americans - but I honestly have no idea how that breaks down by race. Personally I have a few non-white friends who are gay, and they have very good jobs... including a lawyer, hair salon manager, cocktail waitress (with benefits, which she needs for her children), etc. So until I see actual statistics on what you claim, I can only assume this is merely your opinion.

Oh, and I'm a straight woman who will fight for gay rights until they are achieved. So it's not just the gays fighting this fight!
I think all Americans and Europeans should fight for gay rights and raise their children to love gays too.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 PM

39,178 posts, read 51,489,919 times
Simple. It is because the liberal media promoting homosexuality wants a white face on the issue. I'll leave it to you to figure out why that it is. It is rather obvious.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, gay marriage rights aren't only about job benefits... the rights associated with marriage also include inheritance, hospital visitation, adoption/custody, VA benefits, along with nearly 1000 others. So even if your theory was correct, it doesn't mean they (people with non-benefited jobs) wouldn't gain any rights from marrying their partner.
I have to be honest, I lived a number of years in London, I am not really familiar with all of the dynamics with America (because I am originally from Turkey).

What I have seen are poor blacks mostly in the US, although there are wealthy ones too, but it doesn't seem to be the majority. I did not know that blacks were gay because I mostly see very macho black guys, but I have seen a few wearing dresses, now I know there are some black gays. I wondered why they were not protesting and I guessed it was due to their employment status.

This is an honest question, will poor gays be able to afford the adoption that you speak of? Also, not many will qualify for any inheritance if they do not have money or stocks, right? I do not know what you are referring to with hospital visitation? I thought that is determined by the health proxy?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Simple. It is because the liberal media promoting homosexuality wants a white face on the issue. I'll leave it to you to figure out why that it is. It is rather obvious.
Do you think the liberal media views it as more beneficial with a white face on it?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Kind of, but not really. In the Hispanic community it's more likely because they are specifically Catholic, which is less accepting of homosexuality than some Christian sects. In terms of the Black community, they are more often Baptist, which again is less accepting than other religions & forms of Christianity. I know quite a few gay people who are religious themselves, so it isn't just an issue of believing in G-d or not.

P.S. You also have the culture of "machismo" in the Hispanic community, where gender roles are enforced and specifically designated. I've lived and worked in many Hispanic-dominant neighborhoods, and saw regular examples of this with my own eyes.
This is all interesting. I did not know that a number of gays are religious. Which religion do they mostly belong to? I imagine they are mostly of a Christian faith, but Christianity does not condone homosexual relations. I have heard that some Churches will marry them.

Is it even a real church performing the ceremony, or gays performing marriage vows?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,971,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know, and so I am going to be completely honest here.

I am a White, Southern, 34 year old heterosexual conservative Christian. The Gay rights issue is one of the top issues that I grapple with. I do not want to discriminate against anyone, but still am not quite convinced that our society should support certain behavior.

There is no question to me that no individual should be persecuted against. Everyone should be free to engage in whatever behavior they want to as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.

I also feel strongly that those comitted to a monogamous homosexual relationship ought to have rights regarding the last wishes/visitation of ill partners.

What still bugs me though is the redefinition of marriage from the union of a male and a female, under God, with the ultimate goal of child rearing. Even though many traditional marriages are a farce, and end in divorce or worse, I still think that it is an ideal our society should strive towards for the good of our families, and our culture as a whole.

I don't hate anyone, do not have ill-will towards anyone. I'm just not sure we are talking about the same thing.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I don't know, and so I am going to be completely honest here.

I am a White, Southern, 34 year old heterosexual conservative Christian. The Gay rights issue is one of the top issues that I grapple with. I do not want to discriminate against anyone, but still am not quite convinced that our society should support certain behavior.

There is no question to me that no individual should be persecuted against. Everyone should be free to engage in whatever behavior they want to as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.

I also feel strongly that those comitted to a monogamous homosexual relationship ought to have rights regarding the last wishes/visitation of ill partners.

What still bugs me though is the redefinition of marriage from the union of a male and a female, under God, with the ultimate goal of child rearing. Even though many traditional marriages are a farce, and end in divorce or worse, I still think that it is an ideal our society should strive towards for the good of our families, and our culture as a whole.

I don't hate anyone, do not have ill-will towards anyone. I'm just not sure we are talking about the same thing.
We don't have that issue in my country. In Turkey, there are some gays but they would never ask to be married. They relocate to the U.S. and Europe if they want to do that.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
What a shame that a country wants to scare away it's citizens when all they ask is that their relationships be validated by the government. It isn't like they are forcing Mosques or Islam to recognize their union.
I don't think anyone scares them away but they know it is not a possibility in a Muslim Nation. Unlike in the U.S. and in Europe, Islamic countries are religious, not secular. Homosexuality, adultery and promiscuity are not encouraged or ever allowed. Movies and TV shows can not show those acts, or it is banned. If a person wants to do those things, they have to leave the country and go to the U.S. or Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies