Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
My culture is different because you are free in Turkey to say what you wish, but it can not be hateful speech against Islam or any monotheistic faith for that matter. But Turkey is extremely moderate. Many women do not wear hijab.

I enjoy visiting the U.S. and I lived in Europe for a number of years, but sometimes it seems like a big circus, because there are usually no boundaries. America has shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch. I watched a few episodes and laughed a lot because many of the women did not know who their child's father was. Some freedom is not worth having. Turkish people are moderate but very family oriented. In my culture, you have to always be a good daughter or son to your parents and a role model in the community.

I think if a person was homosexual, they would prefer to leave and never return because it would bring such shame on their family to be honest, and they wouldn't want that for their father, mother or siblings.
Humans yearn to be free. Human progress and innovation thrives only where there is freedom.

It's why people from the Middle East bang down the doors to immigrate to the "west," and why the only places worth living in the middle east are those that have implemented greater personal freedoms - such as Israel, Dubai and Turkey (which thankfully is kept out of the EU until such time as they liberalize their culture). Once the oil market literally or figuratively runs dry in that region of the world all hell will break loose in those areas who have not planned for the future by opening up their societies to the outside world and influences. They will literally implode.

You see, what others do in a free society - cross dress, be gay, have affairs, be straight, do sports, wear tube tops, go to school, drink alcohol - has no bearing on my life. Society survives, stronger for its diversity of opinion and thought and ways of life. The freedom of choice and individuality is sacred to the west just as Islam is sacred in other parts of the world.

Luckily, the arc of progress in most of Asia also lean towards freedom. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand.... these are thriving areas because they are free.

A recommended movie for you:

It is my desire that western culture will continue to penetrate and erode the religious influence and lifestyles in the Middle East. Islam can only prevent this spread as they have done in the past - through violence. Leaving formally great and dynamic countries - like Lebanon and Iran - lost.

------------

Back on topic: Plenty of non-whites are active in the fight for marriage equality. There are simply more white people, therefore, more white gay people than black gay people. Also, many "white" people you see can be of Hispanic descent and you would never even know unless you tell them. Hispanic is not a race. It's a designator of cultural origin.

Last edited by TriMT7; 04-24-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,559,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know quite a few gay people who are religious themselves, so it isn't just an issue of believing in G-d or not.
what religion paganism?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
IMHO it's actually White heterosexual females driving this they seem to be behind much of the stupid liberal ideas these days.

During the FB equality sign day almost all my FB friends who changed their profile pic were white women.
I wouldn't use FB to measure much.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,229,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Stereotypes are hard to break, but I thought the " gay males love to wear dresses" was known to be false. The VAST majority of cross-dressers are straight. Some estimate as much as 94 percent. Then you have transgendered people which is a whole other category.

The reason people think it's mainly a gay male thing are getting their views from stereotypes presented by media, and by what they see in their own lives. Straight males who cross-dress do it in the privacy of their own homes or private clubs, sometimes they will go to a gay bar since they know they won't be harassed, but most don't, however transgendered people seem more comfortable in a gay bar rather than a straight one. Anyone who does see these men just assume they are gay when in fact they are most likely straight or transgendered.

The men who cross-dress in gay society are usually Drag Queens, in other words they do it as performers in clubs. These guys usually exaggerate a women's looks with big wigs and flashy outfits ( remember they are entertainers ). These guys do not dress like this everyday. However as with everything in life there are varying degrees and reasons why men of all sexualities cross-dress.

Most gay men are invisible. People tag on a sexuality from their own observations. That's why when a sport figure comes out ( and it's happening more and more ) people are surprised, but the gay community isn't since we know and have known that gay men and woman don't fit societies ideas of who we are.

What All Women And Men Should Know About Crossdressers : I Want to Know If You Think Crossdressers Are Gay Story & Experience

They are many other sites that talk about this, just Google them.

Here is a " drag queen " performing, although this guys talent separates him from the mainstream and is referred to as a " female impersonator" since he uses his OWN voice. He does not dress as a woman, except to perform. I know this because I know people who know him. I actually believe you will enjoy this performance.

Jimmy James as Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend - YouTube
I saw Jimmy live. His vocal impressions are spot on.
His Judy Garland, Cher, and Streisand are absolutely amazing.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
what religion paganism?
Which would be no less valid or provable/unprovable than the set of myths you choose to believe.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As you pointed out it's not "economic" but "cultural". There are tons of Gay African Americans ( a lot of them bi-sexual) but never fully come out because of their family and religion.
They still consider being "Gay" a Sin.
Exactly. African-Americans are inching up wage-wise to non-Hispanic whites but yet you do not have them joining the gay rights protests as much as the non-Hispanic whites. The issue is a lot of African-Americans are held by religious conviction.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
IMHO it's actually White heterosexual females driving this they seem to be behind much of the stupid liberal ideas these days.

During the FB equality sign day almost all my FB friends who changed their profile pic were white women.
If equality is a "stupid idea," I guess you can call me a moron.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,792,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
This is a serious question.

I rarely see any non whites fighting on the front lines for gay issues? I know America has many gays of all colors. Maybe it's because gay black males are least likely to have jobs with benefits, than white gays? The same is probably true for Hispanics. Is it not mostly gay white men and gay white women who have better employment than gay non whites so logically they will be fighting to get their partner's benefits, but this is not a concern for gay blacks or Hispanics because their partners do not usually have any jobs with benefits.

Is this the reason, or am I wrong in assuming this?

I am trying to understand? Can anyone explain??
It has nothing to do with economics. Black men invented the term DL, meaning on the down low. Many don't want to be in the spot light, its a cultural thing, but I'm sure someone will turn this into a racist thing, somehow how implying white gay men are oppressing black gay men which is total B.S.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,334,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Homosexual Americans in general have higher salaries and "disposable income" than heterosexual Americans
Or rather, the wealthier ones are in a position where they are finally more comfortable and/or able to say they're gay with less consequence. There are probably many more poor and middle class gays out there living in the closet. One thing I've learned growing up in a blue collar community and then moving to a more affluent area is that poorer communities are more hard-lined in traditional gender roles. Machismo is really important and most people still think a homosexual man couldn't possibly be masculine, so being gay would be asking for a beating in a poorer community.

As for gay black people, you have to remember that the majority of blacks still practice conservative Christianity (Baptist, Penecostal, etc.). While they may statistically vote Democrat for economic reasons, a good outspoken number of black people are very socially conservative. I don't think homosexuality is accepted as much amongst blacks.

Plus, a lot of these "havens" and centers of gay activism are in northern metropolitan areas which don't have as high of a black population as the South.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,171,951 times
Quote:

Oh you poor dear! That must've been so traumatic for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies