Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,351,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose532 View Post
I have to be honest, I lived a number of years in London, I am not really familiar with all of the dynamics with America (because I am originally from Turkey).

What I have seen are poor blacks mostly in the US, although there are wealthy ones too, but it doesn't seem to be the majority. I did not know that blacks were gay because I mostly see very macho black guys, but I have seen a few wearing dresses, now I know there are some black gays. I wondered why they were not protesting and I guessed it was due to their employment status.

This is an honest question, will poor gays be able to afford the adoption that you speak of? Also, not many will qualify for any inheritance if they do not have money or stocks, right? I do not know what you are referring to with hospital visitation? I thought that is determined by the health proxy?
This sentence made me laugh.

Gay men of any color are not likely to be cross-dressers. Most dress in completely normal clothing. I am well known among my gay friends as having no fashion sense.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM

138 posts, read 155,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

Gay men of any color are not likely to be cross-dressers. Most dress in completely normal clothing. I am well known among my gay friends as having no fashion sense.
I was in Atlanta, Georgia last summer and saw a few dressed like that on the train, but I don't think that is the norm.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,966,004 times
Quote:
We don't have that issue in my country. In Turkey, there are some gays but they would never ask to be married. They relocate to the U.S. and Europe if they want to do that.
But that's the great thing about the US or Europe. We can have that dialog. Even though I may disagree with some people over issues like this, they will have no fear of me reverting to violence over the issue. If I decide that I am against gay marriage, but am out voted at the polls, I will accept that as a citizen of a democracy. If, on the other hand, I decide that I am for gay marriage and am out voted, the same can be said. There is a beautiful conception here called Freedom of Speech that is defended even subconciously by any person that is a product of our culture that truly gives humanity a dignity and voice, more than any place or time in history. I recommend it.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

Is there a difference between a cross dresser and a transgender person? I noticed that the guy did not have on a wig or any makeup. He didn't shave either. I was shocked because he looked like a man, but had on a dress with heels. It was very odd. I assumed he would be classified under the transgender title, but now that you mention it, he was probably more of a cross dresser.

Last edited by Rose532; 04-23-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
But that's the great thing about the US or Europe. We can have that dialog. Even though I may disagree with some people over issues like this, they will have no fear of me reverting to violence over the issue. If I decide that I am against gay marriage, but am out voted at the polls, I will accept that as a citizen of a democracy. If, on the other hand, I decide that I am for gay marriage and am out voted, the same can be said. There is a beautiful conception here called Freedom of Speech that is defended even subconciously by any person that is a product of our culture that truly gives humanity a dignity and voice, more than any place or time in history. I recommend it.
My culture is different because you are free in Turkey to say what you wish, but it can not be hateful speech against Islam or any monotheistic faith for that matter. But Turkey is extremely moderate. Many women do not wear hijab.

I enjoy visiting the U.S. and I lived in Europe for a number of years, but sometimes it seems like a big circus, because there are usually no boundaries. America has shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch. I watched a few episodes and laughed a lot because many of the women did not know who their child's father was. Some freedom is not worth having. Turkish people are moderate but very family oriented. In my culture, you have to always be a good daughter or son to your parents and a role model in the community.

I think if a person was homosexual, they would prefer to leave and never return because it would bring such shame on their family to be honest, and they wouldn't want that for their father, mother or siblings.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
My culture is different because you are free in Turkey to say what you wish, but it can not be hateful speech against Islam or any monotheistic faith for that matter. But Turkey is extremely moderate. Many women do not wear hijab.
Do you think that if God is real and that we were given free will that It/He/She would want a human government to control what other humans can say about it? That just doesn't seem conducive to a any conversation that could approach truth. Why would you support a group of humans that controls what another group of humans can say?

I understand the belief in a God. I believe that too. But not the belief in a God who puts the controls of ideals into the hands of fallible human beings.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I enjoy visiting the U.S. and I lived in Europe for a number of years, but sometimes it seems like a big circus, because there are usually no boundaries. America has shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch. I watched a few episodes and laughed a lot because many of the women did not know who their child's father was. Some freedom is not worth having. Turkish people are moderate but very family oriented. In my culture, you have to always be a good daughter or son to your parents and a role model in the community.

I think if a person was homosexual, they would prefer to leave and never return because it would bring such shame on their family to be honest, and they wouldn't want that for their father, mother or siblings.
1st of all, Jerry Springer is largely a set up fake.

2nd, allowing human beings to say what they want, be what they want, and do what they want brings out the very best, and very worst of what we are. Many great things have come to this world because of the freedom of the American/Western cultures.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Do you think that if God is real and that we were given free will that It/He/She would want a human government to control what other humans can say about it? That just doesn't seem conducive to a any conversation that could approach truth. Why would you support a group of humans that controls what another group of humans can say?

I understand the belief in a God. I believe that too. But not the belief in a God who puts the controls of ideals into the hands of fallible human beings.
In my faith, the purpose of mankind is not to know God and to be conformed to His character, but rather to understand Allah’s will and become more obedient to His commands. For Muslims, man is the high point of God’s creation. He is a type of viceroy (khalifa) on the earth. Man is to serve God the Master, fulfilling His commands and abstaining from His prohibitions.

We believe God is all knowing, the most merciful and the most beneficent. He and He alone should be worshiped and praised. Our duty while on earth is to lead a clean lifestyle and engage in as many good deeds as possible, because we believe in paradise and hell and all Muslims seek paradise.

We do believe in free will. If a person no longer wishes to be a Muslim, they can always decide to leave the faith, without any persecution. I am sure though that family members would be upset, but in Islam there is no compulsion in religion, so no one has the right to force the religion onto you, if you do not believe it.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
In my faith, the purpose of mankind is not to know God and to be conformed to His character, but rather to understand Allah’s will and become more obedient to His commands. For Muslims, man is the high point of God’s creation. He is a type of viceroy (khalifa) on the earth. Man is to serve God the Master, fulfilling His commands and abstaining from His prohibitions.

We believe God is all knowing, the most merciful and the most beneficent. He and He alone should be worshiped and praised. Our duty while on earth is to lead a clean lifestyle and engage in as many good deeds as possible, because we believe in paradise and hell and all Muslims seek paradise.
Christains believe the same thing. However, we are able to seperate our governments from our personal lives in a way that allows freedom of thought.

I believe that this freedom has allowed a challenge of faith that has made our faith stronger, and given even more reason to believe, as well as giving our culture an opportunity to advance to a point that the world has never seen.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
1st of all, Jerry Springer is largely a set up fake.

2nd, allowing human beings to say what they want, be what they want, and do what they want brings out the very best, and very worst of what we are. Many great things have come to this world because of the freedom of the American/Western cultures.
There are benefits, but there are also many serious flaws. I think balance is important. Too much or too little of anything is a recipe for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.