Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times

Advertisements

Where are the worst states for black Americans?

...ironically largely white and liberal states rank among the worst.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM

527 posts, read 709,201 times
It's part of their family, culture and how they grew up.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
It's exactly the ones I'd think.

The Rust Belt lost a lot of jobs.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Yep....no surprise there. Areas that are the most racially segregated have the greatest racial disparities. The Great Lakes region boom ended in the 60's and the residential patterns and attitudes from that era have largely been preserved.

Areas of the country that experienced a post 60's boom did so in an era of more racial tolerance and laws that prevented redlining and housing discrimination. Thus, growth was less segregated and hence these places are more integrated.

In highly segregated areas like the Great Lakes Region blacks are segregated away from the employment opportunities that tend to be in the predominately white areas and many of the cities do not have sufficient public transit to make it reliable for the black poor to get to employment centers in a timely manner daily....which may discourage employers from hiring people when they do not have a car and live in the city and the job is in the suburb.

Minnesota is more of the surprise, however. It has and has had one of the best economies in the nation for a long time and its certainly does not have the level of segregation as the other states. Maybe it's the migration of poor blacks from Chicago, Gary, Detroit and other places that is responsible for the disparity as the black population growth in Minnesota is one of the highest in the nation....with many Africans as part of the mix. It would be interesting to see what percent of Minnesota's black population are first or second generation Africans. Based upon my visits....I would say about 20%.

I am surprised that Nebraska is not on that list as well.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

But, that's not what all the folks in the northern part of the USA preach to the South.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Minnesota is more of the surprise, however. It has and has had one of the best economies in the nation for a long time and its certainly does not have the level of segregation as the other states. Maybe it's the migration of poor blacks from Chicago, Gary, Detroit and other places that is responsible for the disparity as the black population growth in Minnesota is one of the highest in the nation....with many Africans as part of the mix. It would be interesting to see what percent of Minnesota's black population are first or second generation Africans. Based upon my visits....I would say about 20%.

I am surprised that Nebraska is not on that list as well.
Interesting you mention Minnesota. Minnesota Public Radio reported on this back in the 90s.
MPR: Moving Up, Part One
MPR: Moving Up, Part Two

My aunt is from Louisiana, and she left Louisiana in the late 1960s. She eventually ended up in Minneapolis sometime in the 70s. She did good for herself, raised a family, had a good job in Minnesota.

Alot of the Africans who have moved to Minnesota are often refugees from Somalia, so that might also play a role.

I would agree that Nebraska should be on that list. Omaha has one of the poorest Black populations in the USA. Nebraska ranked #1 in Black murder rates in 2013. While Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, there is something to understand. While the White unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the nation, the Black unemployment rate in Nebraska is one of the highest in the nation. There is also a very high unemployment gap between Blacks and Whites, one of the highest in the nation. I won't lie. There are times I wonder if I, a Black man, might do alright in Nebraska considering the horrible stats for Blacks in that state.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting you mention Minnesota. Minnesota Public Radio reported on this back in the 90s.
MPR: Moving Up, Part One
MPR: Moving Up, Part Two

My aunt is from Louisiana, and she left Louisiana in the late 1960s. She eventually ended up in Minneapolis sometime in the 70s. She did good for herself, raised a family, had a good job in Minnesota.

Alot of the Africans who have moved to Minnesota are often refugees from Somalia, so that might also play a role.

I would agree that Nebraska should be on that list. Omaha has one of the poorest Black populations in the USA. Nebraska ranked #1 in Black murder rates in 2013. While Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, there is something to understand. While the White unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the nation, the Black unemployment rate in Nebraska is one of the highest in the nation. There is also a very high unemployment gap between Blacks and Whites, one of the highest in the nation. I won't lie. There are times I wonder if I, a Black man, might do alright in Nebraska considering the horrible stats for Blacks in that state.
Yep....I have relatives who live in Omaha. For some reason it reminds me of the South....

Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
But, that's not what all the folks in the northern part of the USA preach to the South.
Arkansas is on that list.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:47 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

I am not surprised.

With LBJ's "Great Society" many poor, uneducated blacks moved North and the "projects" were created.

Without education you will NEVER get a job.

Young girls getting pregnant and not finishing high school. Boys not finishing high school and the gangs were created.

Then we have to add drugs into the equation.

NOT a very good base for success.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am not surprised.

With LBJ's "Great Society" many poor, uneducated blacks moved North and the "projects" were created.

Without education you will NEVER get a job.

Young girls getting pregnant and not finishing high school. Boys not finishing high school and the gangs were created.

Then we have to add drugs into the equation.

NOT a very good base for success.
Most blacks moved north to escape Jim Crow and to try to get good factory jobs that paid more money than could be made in the south at the time. You did not need an education THEN to get those good factory jobs. Those jobs soon dried up....however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies