Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:04 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

The manufacturing economy offered many African Americans middle income living without the need for an education from the 60's, 70's and during the 80's manufacturing began to be an unstable source of unemployment with constant layoffs and downsizing. Here is the thing with that. The young are generally socialized to emulate and become what the adults in their communities do to find success. Thus, since education was not needed by the parents to secure the American dream, many children of that generation did not place much value in education because they expected to be able to get factory work like their parents. When the bottom dropped out of the manufacturing economy, a generation was left structurally unemployable because they had no education and no skills. In many of these cities drug trafficking became a major means of income for black males and the competition for blocks and territory created a lot of violence. Nothing is responsible for the uptick of violence in the black community more than drugs and drug trafficking. Not unlike what happened to Mexico when it become the center of illegal drug production and shipment to the US.

It might seem counter intuitive, but actually some of the best opportunities for blacks are in the places that seem to have the worst statistics for blacks. The catch is that you have to go their with a marketable skill set. Those environments are not conducive for blacks to work their way from the ghetto to success and thus many companies may have trouble finding qualified African Americans for certain job opening. I would say that an educated AA person with marketable skills would find more upward mobility in Minneapolis than in Atlanta because one would thing that many companies in Georgia should not be starved for educated blacks as many educated blacks have relocated there....making the competition that much tougher.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Frankly, i feel that as a black person i could go to any U.S. state and succeed. I might make more money in some places as opposed to others, but money isn't everything.

So i really don't understand the whole "best or worse state for blacks" thing outside of the fact that a few regions have lost the industries that blacks came to depend on for jobs.

But if you're adaptable, you can live and thrive anywhere. I would never live in the South, the Plains or Mountain West States (meaning Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Utah, or Wyoming), but i have no doubt that i'd do fine in those regions if i wanted to.

That's the best attitude to have IMO.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:36 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Most blacks moved north to escape Jim Crow and to try to get good factory jobs that paid more money than could be made in the south at the time. You did not need an education THEN to get those good factory jobs. Those jobs soon dried up....however.
My experiences working in the projects and the ghettos tells me differently.

IF they got all those jobs you claim, then who lived in all those Gov't housing projects?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:37 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Explain Arkansas and Kansas. Both are Republican states.
What part of "many" don't you understand?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

IF they got all those jobs you claim, then who lived in all those Gov't housing projects?
LMAO...now you have experiences working in the projects and ghettos.

I swear man, you folks are amazing. I can never tell what you'll come up with next.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:42 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
because it is tooooooo coooolllldddddd!!!
I would gladly go up there. In fact, I applied for some jobs in Minneapolis, among other cities. Other places include Denver, Seattle, Portland, Omaha, San Antonio, suburbs of Northern Virginia,etc.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
What part of "many" don't you understand?
I said explain Arkansas and Kansas. Someone already explained Nebraska, and many people have explained Wisconsin and Minnesota. Just explain.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

People who worked. It didn't bevome housing for those in welfare until later . And of course most blacks living in big cities weren't in projects

Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
People who worked. It didn't bevome housing for those in welfare until later . And of course most blacks living in big cities weren't in projects
Correct on both counts.

Post WW2, the projects were full of working class families saving money for their first homes.

And yes, the overwhelming majority of blacks in the northern cities didn't live in projects. They made handsome incomes and were mostly homeowners.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The only two that really surprised me were CO--and especially--NM.

I would not have expected any southwestern or western state to have the highest black income.
We're not just cowboys out here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would gladly go up there. In fact, I applied for some jobs in Minneapolis, among other cities. Other places include Denver, Seattle, Portland, Omaha, San Antonio, suburbs of Northern Virginia,etc.
Minneapolis IS cold! It is colder than Moscow in winter, and hotter than Moscow in summer. It is the coldest major US city, just as Moscow is the coldest big European city.

Come to Denver. Winter is much better here. Today it was 63 (according to my phone), and tomorrow is going to be in the high 60s. Then it's going to crash on Sunday. But it's like that all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies