Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I've seen TV ads, heard radio ads, and even saw a highway billboard that roughly claimed that 1 out of 6 American kids go hungry. Sometimes I see it as 1 out of 5.

I believe this to be dubious.

They simply take America's poverty rate (1/6th) and assume that A) kids make up a roughly equal representation of this and B) everyone in poverty is going hungry.

#1 There are many government programs from welfare, to food stamps, to WIC, to Unemployment, to Free or Reduced school Breakfast AND Lunch (Half of the kids in Michigan Qualify for free or reduced lunch so access isn't hard), to Free School Summer Lunch programs in urban areas, local charities and churches helping with food pantries, and etc... Which is perhaps why:

#2 Per the 2010 Census more than 80% of the people living in poverty self-reported that they never had to go hungry during the past year.

This is not to say that no one goes hungry... I just don't believe the raw numbers of 1/5th to 1/6th of kids are going hungry.

I regularly went hungry when I was a kid, by first grade I was severely underweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I regularly went hungry when I was a kid, by first grade I was severely underweight.
Please reread my post:

I've seen TV ads, heard radio ads, and even saw a highway billboard that roughly claimed that 1 out of 6 American kids go hungry. Sometimes I see it as 1 out of 5.

I believe this to be dubious.

They simply take America's poverty rate (1/6th) and assume that A) kids make up a roughly equal representation of this and B) everyone in poverty is going hungry.

#1 There are many government programs from welfare, to food stamps, to WIC, to Unemployment, to Free or Reduced school Breakfast AND Lunch (Half of the kids in Michigan Qualify for free or reduced lunch so access isn't hard), to Free School Summer Lunch programs in urban areas, local charities and churches helping with food pantries, and etc... Which is perhaps why:

#2 Per the 2010 Census more than 80% of the people living in poverty self-reported that they never had to go hungry during the past year.

This is not to say that no one goes hungry... I just don't believe the raw numbers of 1/5th to 1/6th of kids are going hungry.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
jm, it is pretty much sensationalism. In America it is relatively easy to feed yourself. There is an ongoing joke that says America has the most overweight homeless population in the world. It is rare for a child to starve from "being poor." Most kids who starve have parents who have not sought out appropriate help and resources.

It is as poppysead noted. Healthy kids who starve usually have parents who are socially unfit (i.e. drug users) or even mentally unstable. There are also parents who intentionally starve their kids. Both cases are considered forms of child abuse and in our country swift actions are taken once these are uncovered.
Hunger has its consequences on our economy and our children. Please go to a local food bank
before making such quick, uninformed and callous conclusions and explanations.
You have one post below who went hungry and another who makes a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Saying 1 in 3 is obese, doesnt exclude the other 2 from the possibility of being hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For a more complete analysis of the problem check the website below and/or watch the film.
A Place at the Table
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies