Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The sermon started out great today. The pastor was talking about how all living things, and even non-living things such as mountains, sing praises to the Lord just by being what they are meant to be.

Then he turned an excellent sermon into a political rant.

He started to say that humans are responsible for global warming, when this is still a controversial topic.

He mentioned Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth and even conceded that global warming has occurred in periods before fossil fuels, as Gore states in his book.

He said that Gore was mainly concerned with our own civilization - not the Earth - which will regenerate on its own - which makes it rather clear that Gore just wants to sell books and expand control and regulation, which is the wet dream of all liberals.

The pastor even mentioned Earth Day.

I thought that was the final straw, until he gave the benediction and said these words:

"Think globally, and live liberally".

Jesus was a hardcore liberal, and it sounds like the pastor is just speaking the lord's word.

If you want a hard right wing religion, try islam.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,231,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It really is that simple. If liberals had their way they would destroy the sun and declare the earth is now safe from global warming.
Considering that doing such a thing is impossible, I'd say your statement is a bit of a stretch.

A for effort though.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 AM

131 posts, read 210,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Jesus was a hardcore liberal, and it sounds like the pastor is just speaking the lord's word.

If you want a hard right wing religion, try islam.
I don't believe religion should be affiliated with politics, although I'm agnostic I don't believe Jesus would be Liberal nor Conservative but a individualist.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 AM

1,127 posts, read 904,360 times
My pastor is a liberal.

According to your logic, your pastor hates you and freedom.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
I think I would be looking for a new church. The only problem is, you're in Ca.. That's what you're going to find.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
. I'm not sure if you're looking for a debate between Democrats and Republicans, if you want to dispel your pastor as a loony-tune
He is a loony-tune.

I already said that he is a liberal..

We even have two leaders whom are a gay couple.

I'm only sticking around because I am relatively young, and might be able to change the way the church operates.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM

1,127 posts, read 904,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I think I would be looking for a new church. The only problem is, you're in Ca.. That's what you're going to find.
He should move to Texas, then he wouldn't be pissed 24/7

Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 AM

131 posts, read 210,033 times
Quote:
He is a loony-tune.

I'm only sticking around because I am relatively young, and might be able to change the way the church operates.
How long have you been a member of the Church? And would you approve of what he said, if he blatantly said 'I'm a Conservative'?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have been checking out another church that meets mid-week - and I like what I see.

The problem is that I have been going to this liberal church for nearly 25 years, and close members of my family also attend the church.

The church is in a very urban-centric area and is declining in membership.

I am torn between sticking around and reviving it, or moving to a church that is more in line with my theological viewpoint.

It is a very hard decision.

I have been a leader at this church - yet I feel that it is drifting away from what the Lord wants us to do.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
He is a loony-tune.

You're in Los Angelas county... You aren't going to change the congregation and until you do, you won't change the church. In order to change the congregation, you have to change the community in which the church serves. Look around your neighborhood and tell me what the odds are that you are going to be able to affect that change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies