Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That isnt the point of the article. It is how African American QB's in the NFL get graded on how "authentic" their smile is.

Also, the point of the article is that the media does not care about a black athlete who comes from a two parent family and graduates with a degree in a hard science. They want a "feel good" story about a guy who was raised by a single mother who was addicted to crack or had a family member killed by a gang while growing up.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
That isnt the point of the article. It is how African American QB's in the NFL get graded on how "authentic" their smile is.
That kind of stuff is figured in with every single draft pick. If you score high enough on the other things though that gets thrown out the window.

Yes, teams want to try and determine what kind of team mate a fringe prospect will be if things don't go well. Smith didn't fall into the second round because he didn't have a nice smile.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That kind of stuff is figured in with every single draft pick. If you score high enough on the other things though that gets thrown out the window.

Yes, teams want to try and determine what kind of team mate a fringe prospect will be if things don't go well. Smith didn't fall into the second round because he didn't have a nice smile.

Geno Smith fell to the second round because WV used to be the "big fish" in a mediocre conference. When they changed conferences last year and had to face better quality teams, the team was exposed as lacking on the defensive side of the ball. Geno could not win the game himself as teams saw him and his receiving corp as the only weapons they had. Geno would have won the Heisman AND gone in the TOP 5 if they did not change conferences.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick, yet it was still mentioned about him.

again, no one is even arguing draft order(or atleast i am not), its about the level of scrutiny based on something other than playing ability.

did anyone say Matt Barkley had a fake smile or didnt walk with confidence(i believe that was Colin Kaepernicks critique) ?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
Smith played in pretty much a run and shoot gimmick offense. He also went totally in the tank at the end of the year. That leads to questions about his leadership ability.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Geno Smith fell to the second round because WV used to be the "big fish" in a mediocre conference. When they changed conferences last year and had to face better quality teams, the team was exposed as lacking on the defensive side of the ball. Geno could not win the game himself as teams saw him and his receiving corp as the only weapons they had. Geno would have won the Heisman AND gone in the TOP 5 if they did not change conferences.
And then he would have been a big dissapointment in the NFL. We should note that it was a team from the old conference that beat them bad in their bowl game.

Nobody asks how a guy as small as Austin is went #8 despite not getting much consideration before the combines.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
You dont watch college football enough to make that argument. especially considering they didnt get run over by the Big 12, they went 4-5 in conference with 2 loses coming by 1 point. Their Defense sucking is about the only true thing you said in that comment.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
His draft position is not the point of the article though. In fact, the writer is clearly hoping that the NFL isn't using that kind of critique of Smith.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick, yet it was still mentioned about him.

again, no one is even arguing draft order(or atleast i am not), its about the level of scrutiny based on something other than playing ability.

did anyone say Matt Barkley had a fake smile or didnt walk with confidence(i believe that was Colin Kaepernicks critique) ?
I can't say that I've actually heard that about anyone that wasn't obvious.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Are you sure about that? Peyton Hillis, Toby Gearhart and Julian Edelman are thriving to some degree as NFL RBs.

<turnabout>

I'll comment as I always have - if Asian players gravitated to football in large numbers they'd be playing in the NFL in large numbers. I know there are only about three or four Asians in the league right now, such as Haruki Nakamura, Chris Gocong, Eugene Amano, and Ed Wang.

There are plenty of Samoans and Tongans (who are partially Asian) in the NFL.

I see. You're trying to be funny.
Yes, I think it's hillarious when someone isn't happy about the number of black coaches, the black tax or the number of black students in science positions (a billion dollar iniative to correct "the problem" no less) .....that when you mention asians in the NFL they are under-represented because of their "interests" and not racism. My how quickly the story changes.

Yep, all those scouts and coaches out there scouring the combines....weighing options....and when people get butt-hurt because of a guys subjective draft position etc.....all of the sudden it's racial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies