Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times

Advertisements

Seems Geno failed to impress more than a few teams in his interviews. Concrete examples of his potential lack of maturity and dedication are cited here: Y! SPORTS

Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I think the NFL has gone above and beyond in their attempts to combat the vicious stereotypes about black QBs by extensively searching out talent and recruitment efforts.

Over the past 10-13 years, the NFL has made a concerted effort to recruit black quarterbacks, and Geno was simply less than stellar than his QB predecessors in the previous draft. For those of who are fans of the NFL and have been following it for decades--black QBs (especially starters) were extremely rare in the 80s up and until the very late 1990s (98-99).

Then sometime around the late 90s you had Donovan McNabb, Dante Culppeper, Steve McNair, and Akili Smith (all of whom who drafted high, paid BIG money and were pretty successful when they came out), then of course in the following years you had guys like Mike Vick (a No. 1 pick no less) Jamarcus Russell (BIG bust--also a No1 Pick), RGIII, Russell Westbrook and several others. This crop was almost unheard of during the 80s and mid 90s. SO it's obvious to anyone who recognizes this that there is has been a major change in how the NFL looks at black Qbs.

In regards to Geno--he needs to face the music--sometimes, it's everything BUT race in these matters. Heck he was drafted ABOVE tha white QB from USC Bradley. The guy's scouting report just was not that impressive.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
It may or may not be true but the article is ridiculous as is calling it a black tax. This so called Black tax must not be much of a barrier since RG3 was the number 2 pick and the Redskins mortgaged their future to get him.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Seems Geno failed to impress more than a few teams in his interviews. Concrete examples of his potential lack of maturity and dedication are cited here: Y! SPORTS
Thank you, I refuse to believe NFL Scouts and Executives are running a multi-billion dollar business on the rumors printed in a magazine. The negative reaction to Smith may very well be because the Scouts and Executives met him and didn't really like him.

Also I don't recall these types of articles about RG3 yet in the OP's article the author said folks were crapping on him too. It seems to me a lot of Black folks want it both ways they want to be judged by their character but when flaws are pointed out about an individual black person's character such criticism is denounced as racist. Can't win with some people.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, it's true.
Yeah and how do you explain him being drafted after a black quarterback?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Does it even matter? Liberal fear mongers and their lawyers are going to kill the game of football over player injuries anyway.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM

252 posts, read 258,241 times
And then the truth comes out

The Yahoo! report reveals details of a private client dinner in New York last week during which Smith called his agents "family," saying they would stay together his entire career. Days later, after the draft-day free fall, Smith fired the agents. The agents responded by releasing a blame-shifting statement to the media Tuesday night.

Other information that did not paint Smith in a flattering light conveniently leaked out to reporters Tuesday and in the Yahoo! Sports article. Smith reportedly turned off some teams by spending too much time on his cellphone during visits rather than engaging with team officials.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people, and he was over there by himself. That's not what you want out of your quarterback," one unnamed source told Yahoo!.

Geno Smith under heavy 'scrutiny in league circles' - NFL.com

LOL @ reverse racism. Always other peoples fault when blacks fail

Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
When it comes to issues of race I'm never in a state of mind to comment rationally. I hope it's obvious that race should have little to do with it...
I'll get angry, and my body can't handle the anger anymore, so I'll just assume anything I read that gets interpreted as offensive is just me being overly emotionally. I think, given history, it's understandable, but I'm tired of that history. I'm ready to write...to live...a new one.

Jamarcus Russel, anyone?

Peace amongst all, we're all human, you know....We're all headed towards that end. It's what you do in the mean time that matters...

Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Tom Brady, 6th rounder.....

Joe Montana, 3rd rounder....

Geno 2nd rounder....RACISM!

What's really funny is that ever team in the league had a chance to pick him up. Hmmmmmm. So either scouts etc. had similar concerns about him.....OR.....every team in the NFL passed on him in the first round because they are racist and so they decided to select other athletes many of whom were black....

Now that's some funny funny logic.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
2001 NFL Draft

#1 overall pick?? Michael Vick

Drew Brees? 32nd overall

2006 Draft

Vince Young selected #3 overall over Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart

1999 NFL Draft

2 of the top 3 overall picks... Donovan McNabb and Akili Smith went 2 and 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, it's true.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies