Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 PM

138 posts, read 154,746 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question.

I rarely see any non whites fighting on the front lines for gay issues? I know America has many gays of all colors. Maybe it's because gay black males are least likely to have jobs with benefits, than white gays? The same is probably true for Hispanics. Is it not mostly gay white men and gay white women who have better employment than gay non whites so logically they will be fighting to get their partner's benefits, but this is not a concern for gay blacks or Hispanics because their partners do not usually have any jobs with benefits.

Is this the reason, or am I wrong in assuming this?

I am trying to understand? Can anyone explain??

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-24-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times
It's not just about benefits.

There are plenty of gay activists of every race, ethnicity, and sexuality (yep, we even got heteros fighting the fight). What did you see? Three news reports on this? Are you just talking about spokespeople on the evening news? Not sure where you are observing this. Please provide some examples so I may investigate the phenomenon.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
It's not just about benefits.

There are plenty of gay activists of every race, ethnicity, and sexuality (yep, we even got heteros fighting the fight). What did you see? Three news reports on this? Are you just talking about spokespeople on the evening news? Not sure where you are observing this. Please provide some examples so I may investigate the phenomenon.
Usually when I see protest or people being interviewed they are usually white. Also, I think most of the gay organizations are run by white Americans and Europeans, is this false?

I will see if I can find an article about the poor job prospects of gay black males and post it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
That hasn't been my observation at all. I increasingly see a lot of African American gay people being quite vocal about it. One of my friends who is of Bahamian descent was SO fighting for marriage equality this past election. He has calmed down since the election, but I reckon he will be right back in fighting gear the next election.

If you would like less personal examples than my own, here is one that I read about today.

Gay Senator Comes Out As State Approves Same-Sex Marriage - ABC News

Really though, when it comes down to it, white gays are the majority of gays in this country. it would make sense that we are the most visible activists.

Edit: I just realized that the op was looking for self-identifying gay black people who are fighting for marriage equality. I accidentally listed two heterosexual black people who are fighting for marriage equality.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
That hasn't been my observation at all. I increasingly see a lot of African American gay people being quite vocal about it. One of my friends who is of Bahamian descent was SO fighting for marriage equality this past election. He has calmed down since the election, but I reckon he will be right back in fighting gear the next election.

If you would like less personal examples than my own, here are two that I just heard about today.

Brendon Ayanbadejo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And

Gay Senator Comes Out As State Approves Same-Sex Marriage - ABC News

And a rather important one,

Barack Obama
I saw the people outside of the Supreme Court house on CSPANN during the hearings, most of them were white. Also, whenever I see news coverage, I rarely see any black gays protesting for benefits or rights. Maybe a handful at most.

I hope a few black gays will chime in.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,841 times
The majority of the US population is white, so it stands to reason the majority of US gays and lesbians are also white (assuming that race is not in any way correlated with sexual orientation).

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
I don't know about the black community but I think within the Hispanic community homosexuality has not reached the level of acceptance/tolerance that it has in the white community. Therefore, taking a stand on the issue requires the individual to 'come out' and that carries with it a significant risk, i.e. a greater potential for ridicule, harrassment, discrimination, rejection by the family, etc.

[speculating]

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
The majority of the US population is white, so it stands to reason the majority of US gays and lesbians are also white (assuming that race is not in any way correlated with sexual orientation).
I was in Atlanta and saw a lot of black gays there, I'm not sure if they were part of the protest, but I rarely see any black gays on tv protesting for marriage equality benefits.

I think it may have to do with the marriage equality not really applying to non white gays, since many gay blacks are unemployed with no benefits or 401K.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Because there are more white people? Do the math. And depending on everyone else's race/ethnicity they may have other fish to fry before getting to this.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I don't know about the black community but I think within the Hispanic community homosexuality has not reached the level of acceptance/tolerance that it has in the white community. Therefore, taking a stand on the issue requires the individual to 'come out' and that carries with it a significant risk, i.e. a greater potential for ridicule, harrassment, discrimination, rejection by the family, etc.

[speculating]
I am not familiar with the dynamics of Hispanic groups in the U.S. Do gay Hispanics have good jobs and benefits like many of the white gays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies