Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No, parents don't have the right to be negligent. It's a punishable crime. Children also have rights to safety and the right to live.

When does that right start???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Sure they do. You don't get arrested for leaving the stove on and your kid burning their hands. You don't get arrested if your kid falls down the stairs because you forgot to lock the baby gate.

Everybody is negligent - that's usually how accidents happen. Just like this one. Negligence is a human condition. The only alternative is to regulate every single parental behavior. Is that what you are suggesting? How would you enforce that?

You can't - you can only "punish" negligence if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, you have no case.

You can be arrested if you let your 9 year old drive the family car down a public road. Even if nothing goes wrong. That's negligence. The child won't be arrested, the parent will.

You can be arrested for leaving a small child alone in your house untended, that's negligence. Even if nothing bad happened.

"Some states have laws which hold parents liable when children gain access to a firearms. At least nine states hold adults criminally responsible for storing a loaded firearm in such a way as to allow a minor to gain access. Some of these provisions include an enhanced PENALTY if the minor causes injury or death."

"A number of jurisdictions have enacted laws making it a crime to leave a loaded firearm where it is accessible by children. Typically, these laws apply, and parents can be charged, only if the minor gains access to the gun."

http://www.enotes.com/family-law-ref...ty-child-s-act

Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
10 years old was about the time I started using firearms. It was common in my semi-rural neighborhood. Canada was not as uptight about guns then...A kid could walk down the street with a shotgun and no one would even take a second look...It was different..There was no Hollywood brainwashing that guns were for blowing people away...It was no different than a bow and arrow...or a fishing pole. My kids when they were under ten years old I taught them to fire the family 22...They were shown gun safety...about treating any gun as loaded. When it was time to fire they had to be fully aware were everybody was standing and there was an all clear called out...My kids have no interest in firearms...but at least they know what they are and how to use one.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
You can be arrested if you let your 9 year old drive the family car down a public road. Even if nothing goes wrong. That's negligence. The child won't be arrested, the parent will.

You can be arrested for leaving a small child alone in your house untended, that's negligence. Even if nothing bad happened.
Sure, because it is considered child endangerment and that is what you get in trouble for.

In this nation, we don't consider having a gun in the house "child endangerment." We don't consider having a pool "child endangerment." We don't consider having a Pit Bull in the house "child endangerment."

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Sure they do. You don't get arrested for leaving the stove on and your kid burning their hands. You don't get arrested if your kid falls down the stairs because you forgot to lock the baby gate.

Everybody is negligent - that's usually how accidents happen. Just like this one. Negligence is a human condition. The only alternative is to regulate every single parental behavior. Is that what you are suggesting? How would you enforce that?

You can't - you can only "punish" negligence if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, you have no case.

These parents were negligent (and perhaps a bit stupid for giving a gun to a child). That's all.
You're comparing leaving a stove on to giving a 5 year old a loaded 22, this extends beyond just plain negligence, this was premeditated. Would you give a 5 year old the keys to your car, a chain saw?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Sure, because it is considered child endangerment and that is what you get in trouble for.

In this nation, we don't consider having a gun in the house "child endangerment." We don't consider having a pool "child endangerment." We don't consider having a Pit Bull in the house "child endangerment."
Several states do have laws about guns in the house, and children.

"Some states have laws which hold parents liable when children gain access to a firearms. At least nine states hold adults criminally responsible for storing a loaded firearm in such a way as to allow a minor to gain access. Some of these provisions include an enhanced PENALTY if the minor causes injury or death."

"A number of jurisdictions have enacted laws making it a crime to leave a loaded firearm where it is accessible by children. Typically, these laws apply, and parents can be charged, only if the minor gains access to the gun."

These laws are not just about child endangerment, but also the endangerment of others.

http://www.enotes.com/family-law-ref...ty-child-s-act

Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You're comparing leaving a stove on to giving a 5 year old a loaded 22, this extends beyond just plain negligence, this was premeditated. Would you give a 5 year old the keys to your car, a chain saw?
No. I am not. I am saying that everybody is negligent.

Naturally, I would not give my 5-year old my chain saw, the keys to my car, or a gun. These people were negligent and it resulted in a tragedy. In my eyes, they were also stupid for giving a gun to the kid. But they did - that is their decision - and their pain.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Several states do have laws about guns in the house, and children.

Those laws sound good to me. I don't need these laws - I have enough sense to not have a gun and a kid in the same house.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
How old should a person be before knowing how to be responsible enough for having a gun?
As soon as they can hold and aim a gun, understand what it is, and how deadly it can be. The exact age varies by the individual, but most 5-year-olds are perfectly capable of being instructed in firearms safety and firing guns under supervision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well the 2nd amendment clearly says "people" and not adults or even citizens...so grab that glock for babies first birthday. They'll love it. It's in the constitution.
There is a difference between a right and a mandate. The right to bear arms includes the right to choose not to bear arms, and it does not affect the exercise of judgment in giving your firearm to someone else.

Quote:
The only solution is good parenting and the exercise of good judgment, similar to how all other items and activities are handled by parents. Provided that children are supervised, trained, and given a gun only when they are ready to handle it, accidental shootings like this one will be even rarer than they are now. Face it: even today very few 2-year-olds are accidentally shot and killed by other children.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As soon as they can hold and aim a gun, understand what it is, and how deadly it can be. The exact age varies by the individual, but most 5-year-olds are perfectly capable of being instructed in firearms safety and firing guns under supervision.

There is a difference between a right and a mandate. The right to bear arms includes the right to choose not to bear arms, and it does not affect the exercise of judgment in giving your firearm to someone else.

The only solution is good parenting and the exercise of good judgment, similar to how all other items and activities are handled by parents. Provided that children are supervised, trained, and given a gun only when they are ready to handle it, accidental shootings like this one will be even rarer than they are now. Face it: even today very few 2-year-olds are accidentally shot and killed by other children.
There are over 100 children accidentally shot to death every year, and another 3,000 or so injured.

That's a lot of kids being accidentally injured or killed by guns.
And these deaths, unlike motor vehicle deaths or something like that, are 100 % preventable. Just don't have guns around children.

And a 5-year-old might be able to hold a gun, but fine motor control, not to mention emotional control or common sense is very limited at that age. I wouldn't introduce my child to gourmet cooking and sushi knives at age 5 either, even if he or she could do it under my supervision, it's just not a good idea.

Gun and Shooting Accidents - Accidents and Tragedies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies