Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,741,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
Healthcare and health insurance are not the same thing. Cost of health care in the United States is cheaper than in Canada.

I had a health savings account as a small business owner. I paid the doctor $135 for a visit. Once a year check up and some blood work once a year or two years.

I have a clinic to go to if I have a cold and need anti biotics. $40 Tell me that 'universal healthcare' with its PREMIUMS per month is a better deal than that? It aint.

I have catastrophic coverage for my family. This is what health insurance was really meant for. It wasn't meant to cover you to go to the doctor or prevent sickness or anything else.
Of course that sort of healthcare seems fabulously good to you. You know nothing else.

See, that's the problem with right wingers. They haven't been further than their local Walmart, swallow the BS fed them by the leaders of the Republican Party, that this country is fantabulous, that there's nothing better anywhere, that it's the absolute cat's meow, and they BELIEVE IT.

My eyes were opened when I began traveling abroad and realizing that the jingoistic BS propaganda being fed here about how this place is great, this place is jolly, this place is the best, was all crap in a basket.

But there you are, thinking it really really is wonderful. Carry on. You know zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
I explained my position. Explain yours. Tell us all why you went back to Canada .

While you are at it tell us how there are no more freedoms in the US or lower taxes or anything else.

Cmon, level with us. Did you honestly live in the United States when you were making good money or was it just on the college campus?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I have a Bachelor's in Psychology and a Nursing Degree. I went to the US because I married an American. Good money? There's more to life than good money. What's wrong with you? I'd rather make less money and live in a country with compassion, equal rights for all, healthcare for all, less racism, less gun violence, less hate, less crime and an all around more relaxed and sane attitude.
Screw the money. I make enough.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 05-07-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,908,645 times
This is a great point.. even on City Data the most popular section is the Politics and other Controversies... lots of bickering and all Americans vs Americans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
For what it's worth, I did live in the US for five years. I met a lot of nice people, but damn! There's so much division and hate. Black vs white vs Hispanic. Right vs left. Gay vs straight. Pro-life vs pro-choice. What's up with that? There's so much bickering, I'm surprised ANYTHING gets done.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,908,645 times
As a gay male I've had the freedom to marry for years.... additionally, Gays have been able to serve in the military for far longer.. In this regard I'd say Canada has upheld the notion of social equality and freedom longer than the U.S.. even the issue of slavery works in our favour...Underground railroad anyone? At the end of the day - i'd say practice rules over theory.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,741,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I have a Bachelor's in Psychology and a Nursing Degree. I went to the US because I married an American. Good money? There's more to life than good money. What's wrong with you? I'd rather make less money and live in a country with compassion, equal rights for all,, healthcare for all, less racism, less hate, less crime and an all around more relaxed and sane attitude.
Screw the money. I make enough.
I agree, and more joy.

But that's what American right wingers don't get. They think that joy is evil, pleasure is monstrous. Beating on, ridiculing, and hurting others is the only thing that gives them fulfillment. Sick puppies, the lot of them.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Never heard of a "Kinder Egg." Thank God for Wikipedia. Careful you don't swallow that small toy.
Me either...... i wonder how you eat that sticky mess?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,770,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
When it comes to freedom of speech in particular, the two countries have developed very different means of addressing the expression of unpopular, offensive, or derogatory statements. Canada has followed a pattern typical of many European nations--that of prior restraint through the threat of criminal legal consequences. I believe that most Canadians are sincerely comfortable with this process.

US citizens are no more likely to be tolerant of hateful speech than are Canadians. However, we have cultivated a different approach to dealing with such speech--that of engaging in eloquent rebuttal. Instead of removing an idea from the realm of public discourse, we see the opportunity to marginalize that idea by giving its proponents "enough rope...", and by constructing rational opposition.

Bigotry is never a legitimate response to anything, and it generally is rooted more in ignorance than in malice. Allowing people to make fools of themselves, even assisting them in that endeavor, is something we feel to be more effective than governmental censorship. There is even the added bonus, on rare occasion, of educating someone towards enough self-examination to move them from their hateful sentiments. I believe that most Americans in The US are sincerely comfortable with this process.
Excellent post. Too many people fail to understand freedom. They think it's just freedom to do what they approve of.

We don't need the First Amendment to talk nicely to each other. We don't need the First Amendment to say "hello" and "good day". The First Amendment is there to protect our right to say things that others disagree with or things that might be offensive. Otherwise, there is no need for that part of the First amendment.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is a great point.. even on City Data the most popular section is the Politics and other Controversies... lots of bickering and all Americans vs Americans....
And that's a good thing. That's freedom. Debate is a very productive exercise.

I would hate to live in a country where everyone agreed and had the same political opinions.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As a gay male I've had the freedom to marry for years.... additionally, Gays have been able to serve in the military for far longer.. In this regard I'd say Canada has upheld the notion of social equality and freedom longer than the U.S.. even the issue of slavery works in our favour...Underground railroad anyone? At the end of the day - i'd say practice rules over theory.
The world does not revolve around gay rights. Freedom is not defined by gay rights. There are hundreds of other issues that are of equal or more importance.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Me either...... i wonder how you eat that sticky mess?
Sticky mess?
It's a hollow chocolate egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies