Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Not where I live. Grapes would go on sale once in a while at 99 cents a lb.. now it is 1.98 and never on sale.

Milk is $3.69.. even in cheap Walmart the food is up.. Eggs were 1.58 now , 1.88 and rising. Hard to find sales today because when gas goes up the cost of trucking the food goes up and the products have to go up to cover the shipping cost. And that is basic..I don't buy sugar so I wouldn't know what the price is.

All I know is meat is outrageously priced today. Bread is 2.50 and up.
That is due to the past drought. The effects of a drought on resources aren't felt by the consumer until months later.

Beef was very cheap when ranchers were selling off their herds due to the drought.
Supply and demand.

Beef prices should be going down though as land all around me is full of stockers now and the grass is green and growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,656 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sick of hearing about the unemployment rate's improvement. Most people like to gloss over the fact that once one's unemployment benefits run out, that person, if they remain unemployed, are no longer counted in the work force, and the rate improves.

So, basically, the economy could continue to get worse and the unemployment rate could improve.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
Quote:

Thank you! I don't know where people are getting bread for under $2.00! Even at Walmart, bread is marked $3.99, but on sale for $2.50. And yes, I've finally resorted to shopping for groceries at Walmart because everything is outrageously priced today!!

But back to the Dow...

For movie lovers, there's a great line in Working Girl -- Melanie Griffith blows off advances from Harrison Ford, says she'll have a drink with him "when the DOW hits 3,000" !! (or was it 4,000?) This line is usually cut from the TV broadcasts. But Melanie's character was pretty sure she'd never have to have that drink! Ahh, times have changed.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Average US price of a gallon of regular gas:

Today, 3.51
A year ago, 3.72
Two years ago, 3.95
Three years ago, 2.94
Four years ago, 2.05
Five years ago, 3.62

Gas hit an all-time high (in nominal terms) in July 2008.
it hit a peak but plummeted down and stayed down. It shot up and shot down for a minimal amount of time. It plummeted to half what it was. When Obama got in , it is rising steadily.. Goes up comes down goes up higher , comes down goes up higher and higher to edge down but the down is always higher. That is Obama's idea of raising gas prices slowly so no one will feel it . Fact is since Obama got in the cost of gas has doubled.

In 2002 I was paying 99 cents a gallon in NJ.

None of this would surprise harried New Jersey motorists. But what they might not realize is that, at 10.5 cents per gallon for gasoline and 13.5 cents per gallon for diesel fuel, the state collects far less in motor fuels taxes than it could – or should. Data from the American Petroleum Institute show that New Jersey has the third lowest gas excise tax and the fourth lowest diesel fuel excise tax in the entire nation. Although many states subject gasoline sales to a sales tax, New Jersey does not. As a consequence, gasoline is cheaper in New Jersey than in neighboring states. Indeed, on February 2, 2002, New Jersey drivers paid an average of $1.03 for a gallon of regular gasoline that cost drivers in New York $1.23 and in Pennsylvania $1.13.

Gas When Bush Left Office, $1.78 -- Gas Today, $3.64 -- Highest Average Price in Calif., $4.20

February 24, 2012

Gas When Bush Left Office, $1.78 -- Gas Today, $3.64 -- Highest Average Price in Calif., $4.20 | CNS News

Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is due to the past drought. The effects of a drought on resources aren't felt by the consumer until months later.

Beef was very cheap when ranchers were selling off their herds due to the drought.
Supply and demand.

Beef prices should be going down though as land all around me is full of stockers now and the grass is green and growing.
I never saw any of that cheap meat when the farmers sold their stock. I know that Obama and the government bought the meat when the farmers were selling it off.. and this is why.

Examiner Editorial: To protect ethanol, Obama seeks to inflate meat prices | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sick of hearing about the unemployment rate's improvement. Most people like to gloss over the fact that once one's unemployment benefits run out, that person, if they remain unemployed, are no longer counted in the work force, and the rate improves.

So, basically, the economy could continue to get worse and the unemployment rate could improve.
People like Bill Gates push for green cards to bring in foreigners instead of hiring Americans.. Bill says it is because Americans don't have the brains and he has to go to other countries and pick the best.. not so..it is cheaper to hire foreigners.. and so it goes.. the jobs for Americans.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Looking at the economy, from what is nearby me, I see many people out of work, losing their homes, on food stamps and their unemployment running out.

Those who are praising Obama for the "improved" economy, aren't considering the average American worker. CEO's and companies are making record profits, which unfortunately aren't helping those Americans who need jobs. Companies cut workers and spending and found they can make more $$$ for themselves. So the Dow hit 15,000, that hasn't helped my neighbor who has been out of work for 2 years.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/95-m...ce-under-obama

Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually loaf of bread was $2.49 in 2010, and it is $1.89 this year. It is cheaper today.

Milk $2.79 in 2010 and $2.79 today

Sugar (5lb) $3.12 in 2010 and $2.42 today

Grapes $2.97 in 2010 and $1.98 today

I did not find pork chop price. The only thing on your list which has gone up is ground beef.
You really don't think I am going to believe this do you?

I have a small business with a fair amount of overhead and all my input costs have gone up. And I don't mean 2% to 4% either, I mean 10% and up. In 06 I paid $325 for a truck tire. Today same tire is $500. I buy lots of rock and dirt materials for construction jobs and all of it has went up 25% minimum in the last 5 years.

Inflation is killing the average citizen but the MSM and the government says inflation is low so the sheep believe them. But I am in the real world so I know better.

As far as the market hitting all time highs. Bernanke and co. are responsible for that, nothing else.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Quote:
it hit a peak but plummeted down and stayed down. It shot up and shot down for a minimal amount of time. It plummeted to half what it was. When Obama got in , it is rising steadily.. Goes up comes down goes up higher , comes down goes up higher and higher to edge down but the down is always higher. That is Obama's idea of raising gas prices slowly so no one will feel it . Fact is since Obama got in the cost of gas has doubled.

In 2002 I was paying 99 cents a gallon in NJ.

None of this would surprise harried New Jersey motorists. But what they might not realize is that, at 10.5 cents per gallon for gasoline and 13.5 cents per gallon for diesel fuel, the state collects far less in motor fuels taxes than it could – or should. Data from the American Petroleum Institute show that New Jersey has the third lowest gas excise tax and the fourth lowest diesel fuel excise tax in the entire nation. Although many states subject gasoline sales to a sales tax, New Jersey does not. As a consequence, gasoline is cheaper in New Jersey than in neighboring states. Indeed, on February 2, 2002, New Jersey drivers paid an average of $1.03 for a gallon of regular gasoline that cost drivers in New York $1.23 and in Pennsylvania $1.13.

Gas When Bush Left Office, $1.78 -- Gas Today, $3.64 -- Highest Average Price in Calif., $4.20

February 24, 2012

Gas When Bush Left Office, $1.78 -- Gas Today, $3.64 -- Highest Average Price in Calif., $4.20 | CNS News
Gas fell from $4.12 a gallon in July 2008 all the way down to $1.61 in Dec 2008 when the economy collapsed!

View this 8 year chart here and see for yourself:

Historic Gas Prices - 8 Year Chart

Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Not where I live. Grapes would go on sale once in a while at 99 cents a lb.. now it is 1.98 and never on sale.

Milk is $3.69.. even in cheap Walmart the food is up.. Eggs were 1.58 now , 1.88 and rising. Hard to find sales today because when gas goes up the cost of trucking the food goes up and the products have to go up to cover the shipping cost. And that is basic..I don't buy sugar so I wouldn't know what the price is.

Big box of goldfish went from 6.99 to 8.99 in two months. Who thought goldfish would feel the pain!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies