Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,229,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
Same way in the states. Got the black side of town, the white side of town and now, the mexican side of town. Of course there's people of all ethnic groups in all of these areas but they're still predominantly one racial group with a sprinkle of other groups in there.

I dunno people generally want to live amongst people similar to themselves..I guess it's human nature.
I remember when Los Angeles could easily be put into those areas:

White on the West Side.
Hispanic in East L.A.
Black in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times
The question is this. Why does segregation occur in the first place? Last time I checked, when Jamaicans started immigrating to the UK in the 50s, alot of White English people didn't want them there, period. This is ironic consider that White English people had gone to the West Indies, Africa, and India.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
LOL Trying to throw it off on the right when your own plan fails I see.

Typical.
Nope ... a simple historical fact. Unlimited Commonwealth immigration was supported by successive Conservative governments between 1951 and 1963. The first real controls happened in 1966 under the Labour government of Harold Wilson.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The question is this. Why does segregation occur in the first place? Last time I checked, when Jamaicans started immigrating to the UK in the 50s, alot of White English people didn't want them there, period. This is ironic consider that White English people had gone to the West Indies, Africa, and India.
What people need to understand is that the West Indians and Asians who immigrated to the UK had an absolute right to do so as Commonwealth citizens. Technically, it was no different to people from Oklahoma moving to California. At the time, there was a view that the Commonwealth could replace the Empire as a power block in its own right.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A lot of it has to do with language and cultural barriers and many times a different set of values. I think it has little to do with race but all of the above.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,678,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Multiculturalism works just fine. What does not work is poverty and lack of opportunity. Assimilation occurs when the immigrant group is given and takes the chance to raise their standard of living to middle class levels. But bigoted conservatives in the US and other countries systematically deny that opportunity to people based on color and religion and thereby guarantee never-ending poverty and the crime and social discord it breeds.
Segregation is fine?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Segregation is fine?
Segregation is a fact of life. Those who can afford to live on the upper east side of NYC are segregated by virtue of their income. Those who have no choice but to live in Brownsville are segregated by their lack of income.
Artists often choose to live in areas populated with other artists. People with kids choose to live in areas populated by families with kids.

To the extent that people can choose to live where they want to live, segregation is fine.

It is only when someone who has the ways and means to live where they want and is denied that opportunity by outside forces that segregation is a problem.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A lot of it has to do with language and cultural barriers and many times a different set of values. I think it has little to do with race but all of the above.
Jamaicans speak English. English is the official language of Jamaica. If race had nothing to do with it, then why were so many racial slurs used to describe Jamaicans? Why were there saying slogans like "a White Britain"?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
What people need to understand is that the West Indians and Asians who immigrated to the UK had an absolute right to do so as Commonwealth citizens. Technically, it was no different to people from Oklahoma moving to California. At the time, there was a view that the Commonwealth could replace the Empire as a power block in its own right.
I didn't know the Commonwealth worked like that. It makes good sense now that I think about it.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Segregation is fine?
No; he said multiculturalism was fine. The links purporting to identify "multiculturalism" irrevocably with "segregation" aren't irrefutably linear.

The statement that "multiculturalism" never works cannot be made as "never" as a finite time hasn't been determined yet, has it?

How would anyone determine if multiculturalism is working somewhere? What societal trends would you be able to attribute solely to multiculturalism and not some other influencing factors, either pro or con?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies