Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd have to put forth that if we were going to select based on certain criteria, IQ should not be the one and only piece of criteria used. We want a well-rounded group of immigrants.
sounds reasonable. has anyone suggested anything other?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Here is something I have to say about this. No one usually says stuff like "Group B has a low IQ" without having a racist or racially motivated agenda behind it. Usually, when people say this, they usually say it as a way to justify their own ill feelings towards certain groups, or as a way to say "they don't belong in our society" or statements similar to it. Here is my question: What do I personally have to gain from it? From what someone said, he went on to say "Blacks are dumber than Whites". Being Black, he is basically saying that I'm dumb. What do I have to gain from his statement? What good does it do for me? I ask because if it is being said about my ethnicity, which I am a part of, then it is personal.

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Doesn't matter that its true. Poor Richwine going to be in the cross hairs of the political correct crowd.---God help him!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us...uror.html?_r=0
He did this for the Heritage Foundation, and even they're distancing themselves from it now.

3,417 posts, read 3,074,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The fact remains that if shamnesty is passed it is mostly the poor, uneducated and unskilled from Mexico and other Latino countries that will benefit the most from it since they are here by far in the largest numbers illegally.
No, you are against immigration, so that is your opinion. There is nothing about factual about your opinion.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
From my understanding of Richwine's PhD thesis (I have not read it yet), it was all Hispanics that immigrate to the USA.

I do know it was not a reflection on all Hispanics that exist.

The immigrant Hispanic population was compared to non-Hispanic white native population. His argument was to change policy to select immigrants from Hispanic nations with higher IQs. (Clearly this indicates he does not hold the view that Hispanics are less intelligent).
Actually, he does hold the view that intelligence and race are linked. But he has the right to hold that view personally. And it may not reflect the view of the Heritage Institute.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Are you sure?
As far as I know, yes. Why would a white Hispanic immigrate illegally anyway? They are already at the top of the social ladder in their home countries. Their countries don't discriminate against them. They have social networks in their home countries.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
No amnesty has been proposed.
Here we go with the different terminologies again. You say potato and I say patato as the saying goes. IMO anything that allow illegals to remain here is amnesty. There is no reform on illegal immigration policy in the new proposal. Our laws and policies in regards to illegal immigration will remain the same. There are no changes/reforms being proposed for future illegal entry just forgiveness for those who are already illegally within our borders.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
No, you are against immigration, so that is your opinion. There is nothing about factual about your opinion.
NO, I am not against LEGAL immigration so get that through your thick skull, will you?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, he does hold the view that intelligence and race are linked. But he has the right to hold that view personally. And it may not reflect the view of the Heritage Institute.
It's like a gift to the democrats though. Over generalizing and insulting an entire race of a growing population of voters isn't a great way to win elections. The author is a senior policy fellow at the Heritage Foundation, and the Heritage Foundation is viewed as one of the most influential conservative think tanks in the country. No wonder they're trying to distance themselves from this. Unfortunately for them, I don't think they can.

Jason Richwine, Ph.D.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
As far as I know, yes. Why would a white Hispanic immigrate illegally anyway? They are already at the top of the social ladder in their home countries. Their countries don't discriminate against them. They have social networks in their home countries.
There are plenty of white Hispanics living here illegally.

There is one thing i do not understand about the study, if the differences in IQ are based on genetics, why is the fact that the individual immigrated a factor? Does not make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies