Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,762,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Based on what?
Based on many scholars' research, though they are not politically correct.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
It should be pointed out that the paper in question was a PhD thesis paper and based on the work in this paper, Richwine was awarded a PhD from HAVARD.

I have a sneeking suspision that the work is being mischarictorized.

Note that the Dr. Richwine was talking about hispanic immagrants and not all hispanics. Just those coming to the USA. He suggests that selection of higer IQ HISPANICS should be part of the policy change.
The PhD from HARVARD was not an endorsement of the argument Richwine made in his dissertation, it was an endorsement of Richwine's ability to formulate an argument, to explain his position, to provide research to support his position, to anticipate arguments against his position and to rebut those opponents. He suggests that testing immigrants to determine their IQ's should be a preliminary step to a "skill-based" immigration policy.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Doesn't matter that its true. Poor Richwine going to be in the cross hairs of the political correct crowd.---God help him!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us...uror.html?_r=0
Not exactly like that but we were told something like that when it was explained to us that we would need to learn to speak Spanish in order to communicate with the Hispanics because they were incapable of learning English.

I am sorry, but I don't believe they cannot learn to speak English. I think they are choosing not to speak English.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
He suggests that testing immigrants to determine their IQ's should be a preliminary step to a "skill-based" immigration policy.
I can't think of another single policy change that would benefit America more. Maybe if I had a higher IQ...

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
How does the IQ of 2nd and 3rd generation hispanics compare to white and asians? The lower IQ could simply be due to a lack of education and not a lack of potential.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Doesn't matter that its true. Poor Richwine going to be in the cross hairs of the political correct crowd.---God help him!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us...uror.html?_r=0
Many of them are authors of right wingnut threads right here on city-data I suspect.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Exactly. Facts will be ignored and the usual racial crybabies will be out in force making their usual bs demands.

They are best ignored. Facts do not matter to the racial extortionists, TV time and emotion based lies are all they care about.
so just to be clear, i'm supposed to take the word of someone who works for a right-wing think tank that opposes immigration. Seriously, you honestly believe that by using that guy, that his word is definite on the IQ of immigrants.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The PhD from HARVARD was not an endorsement of the argument Richwine made in his dissertation, it was an endorsement of Richwine's ability to formulate an argument, to explain his position, to provide research to support his position, to anticipate arguments against his position and to rebut those opponents. He suggests that testing immigrants to determine their IQ's should be a preliminary step to a "skill-based" immigration policy.

sounds good to me! and clearly the guy didnt set out to be a racist as is being suggested. The paper was accepted as a valid and cogent argument (regardless of ones agreement or disagreement with the conclusion).

Richwine was not suggesting that all hispanics are stupid.

And it stands to reason that those who are imagrating would be lower IQ as higher IQ hipanics will likely be more likely to find success in their native country. Natural Selection would naturally lead to those leaving do so because of competition from better qualified candidates.

America adding policy that seeks HISPANICS that have higher qualifications makes good policy sense.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
so just to be clear, i'm supposed to take the word of someone who works for a right-wing think tank that opposes immigration. Seriously, you honestly believe that by using that guy, that his word is definite on the IQ of immigrants.
NO. I don’t take his or anyone else’s word without considering the facts.

I do think that if you are going to draw conclusions from a New York Times piece, sans any understanding of the actual facts, that you are not being objective.

How about take a look at the actual paper Richwine wrote on IQ, and or go to the Heritage site, and read the study in question about the cost of legalizing the illegals.

Then based on the facts in hand, make a decision.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,386 times
Please someone explain this to me:

-WHAT about the white hispanics? Are they dumber too?

Or do they belong to the European white smartest group. Because they are white and Hispanic. So.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.