Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are very unlikely complete. Those on a strict vegetarian lifestyle have to take vitamins to make up for what they are missing by not eating meat. Now you can argue that they can eat meat at home but is that the idea here?

You know of a Pizza Hut at an elementary school?
Well, I don't think your understanding of nutrition is complete, but that is beside the point. I am pretty sure the point of the lunch selections is to try to insure these kids are getting at least some nutritional value in their diets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
From the article...

Quote:
The school has “swapped chicken, turkey and ham for black beans, tofu and falafel,” the Daily News reports, “and kids are digging in with delight.”

The story continues: “ ‘This is so good!’ squealed nine-year-old Marian Satti, devouring her black bean and cheddar quesadilla Tuesday at lunch. ‘I’m enjoying that it didn’t have a lot of salt in it.’

...with more than a third of school-age kids either overweight or obese in America. And P.S. 244 has taken a huge leap forward. Because having kids stage protests over the fact that they’re now denied a monster portion of cheese nachos at lunch somehow generates the same queasy feeling of national shame as yet another picture of a pregnant Kim Kardashian in the checkout line.
Sounds as if the kids are having no problem with the change and we can assume that the parents are not either. Schools did not serve top notch grass fed organic beef and we can also assume that the beef and poultry were raised and produced in a manner and under circumstances that are atrocious (as depicted in" Food Inc") so this is a very positive change and kudos to the school for implementing it.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
I am not for or against the idea of a vegan diet, the issue should be resolved at the local level. The district has a board and a PTA and can use the political process to change or keep their school lunch policy. This is definitely a issue that the federal gvt should keep their noses out of.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
For schools to mandate a vegan diet for children ignores the fact that humans are omnivores, and have the anatomy to consume both meat and vegetables. Seems some wish to ignore science and dictate their personal preferences.

The key to health is a balanced diet, not one slanted toward either extreme.
Has the school "mandated" that the kids are to fast for the rest of the day and to refuse food at home? Really! Think about how ridiculous you statement is.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Guess this is one way to make sure every child will need Obama healthcare:

Dangers of Veganism

While a vegan lifestyle is generally considered to be extremely healthy, there are potential dangers and pitfalls. Knowing about these early on can help an unwary vegan to avoid problems with their health or well being later. Some of the potential dangers include:

Strict Vegan Diets May Be Dangerous, Especially for Expectant Mothers and Children

In good conscience I must make it crystal clear that I consider strict adherence to the Hallelujah Diet as currently taught by George Malkmus, as well as any other strict vegan diet, to be dangerous for expectant mothers, nursing moms, babies, and children.
I also now consider strict vegan diets to be potentially deficient for teenagers who burn a lot of calories each day and whose growing bones and bodies still require a full spectrum of nutrients. This appears from my correspondence to be true for most adults, as well, if they follow a vegan diet strictly for a year or two or more[SIZE=2].[/SIZE]
I see you don't know the difference between vegan and vegetarian. Did you even read the article? Black bean and CHEESE quesadilla was on the menu.
Oh, well...what else is new? People will always spout off, even when they're uninformed.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Has the school "mandated" that the kids are to fast for the rest of the day and to refuse food at home? Really! Think about how ridiculous you statement is.
Children have no choice at school. No one made the "ridiculous" claim you used to deflect attention from the school mandate.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
For schools to mandate a vegan diet for children ignores the fact that humans are omnivores, and have the anatomy to consume both meat and vegetables. Seems some wish to ignore science and dictate their personal preferences.

The key to health is a balanced diet, not one slanted toward either extreme.
And another one.
Really, is it that hard to tell the difference between vegan and vegetarian?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
When I saw the thread title and the name of the OP - I immediately knew that it was a BAD idea.

I was right.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well, I don't think your understanding of nutrition is complete, but that is beside the point. I am pretty sure the point of the lunch selections is to try to insure these kids are getting at least some nutritional value in their diets.
The kids get zero nutritional value from their lunch at school if they won't eat it.

Also - could you be just a tad bit more condescending?

You essentially just implied that the parents are feeding there kids junk food.

If you really believe that whopper than do us all a favor and don't ever vote again - because you obviously think that only big government is capable of raising children.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
And another one.
Really, is it that hard to tell the difference between vegan and vegetarian?
Excuse me,......!!!

Let me clarify,..both vegetarian and VEGAN diets are less than balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies