Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
See, we really can NEVER go back.

You all want your 24/7/365 for one reason or another.

I grew up with Blue Laws in NYC. We didn't have 24/7 either. McDonald's closed at 10pm, 12am on weekends and they were the ones considered to be open "late" as most other places closed much earlier.
Life was just fine then. Why ? Because that's how we lived.

What if stores closed by 6-9pm weekdays and were not open on Sunday ?
I'd wager there are people that can't fathom that since they grew up with 24/7/365.

Just look at what's happened to "Black Friday" over the past 3 years.
Stores are now open at noon on Thanksgiving Day with "Black Friday" goodies for folks that just can't wait.
And each year the openings get earlier and earlier. This is recent history folks.
What were the blue laws in NYC when you were growing up?

I only recall the prohibition regarding alcohol sales on Sunday.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
they can at least do it during football season, so folks can spend time watching football instead of having to work.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Since I know you're a theocrat, I know you wouldn't be pushing this if it weren't for your extremist religious views.
Are such words really helpful in getting your point across? For me it shown a very shallow depth of intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So stay home and rest. Nobody is stopping you. Other folks have things to do, places to go and people to see.
We do. I grew up in the 50's and it wasn't bad in any way. Family's lived closer then, and got together on Sundays. It was good. Although I will admit as a early teenager in 59 I was bored. But looking back I see no harm done.

I always owned my own business's. Some were retail but mostly I was in construction. No one in my company's worked on Sunday. Everyone needs a day of rest. Screw the big corps that are driving us into job slavery to buy their Chinese crap.

But I doubt that we as a society could ever revert back to that willingly, to much water under the bridge.

So if you want to work on Sunday it's perfectly fine with me. But we truly don't need a law saying we can't. I despise laws like that, those remove freedom of choice.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Mississippi is funny. The commissioner can grant entire towns "resort status" that allows Sunday sales.
abc hours of sale

This means that I can't buy a beer on Sunday in my county, but I can drive 15 minutes down the road and it's perfectly legal.

Arkansas is kinda like that, too. Dry counties. A few still here in Texas, also.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What were the blue laws in NYC when you were growing up?

I only recall the prohibition regarding alcohol sales on Sunday.
Most stores were closed on Sunday.
I recall the bakery was open til noon as well as the drugstore.
Not all stores were closed but the majority were.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Are such words really helpful in getting your point across? For me it shown a very shallow depth of intelligence.

Yes. Wanting a theocracy specifically based on your belief system is a very extremist view.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
How about you move to the place where you prefer the laws, rather than ask the rest of us to regress back to your good old days? For people who work all week, weekends are the only time you can get errands done or shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.