Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

What a dumb idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
- A guaranteed (weekend) day of rest/break for workers, small business owners', and local residents.
No one forces a business to stay open on sundays. You own a small business and want a day off? You are more than welcome to take it.

Quote:
- No competition, especially from big box stores that forces many employees to work, and now small businesses must remain open.
No one forces an employee to work. Employees can choose to work whereever they like.

Quote:
- No horrible traffic congestion.
Right, because no one drives when they aren't going to work.

Quote:
- Quiet and Peaceful Sundays.
No one forces you to shop on sundays. You want a quiet and peaceful day? Don't leave your house. You don't have to force other people to have less options to do that.

Also, quiet does not mean peaceful. Sitting around doing nothing is boring as hell. A 'quiet and peaceful sunday' sounds awful to me. What a waste of time.

Quote:
- Lower crime rate, pollution, and litter in our towns and streets.
I forgot, criminals never commit crimes if businesses are closed. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Quote:
- Better infrastructure (+ less money needed to fix our roads and highways)
How? Less money going into the economy means less money to spend which means less money to go around which means worse infrastructure due to a smaller economy.

Quote:
- Higher Quality of life & Lower unemployment rate (Just like some nations with similar or stricter blue laws, such as Germany, Austria, Norway and Switzerland)
Having to sit around doing nothing on a sunday is hardly a 'higher quality of life'. Being able to go to a bar with friends on a sunday is what I would call a high quality of life.

And how is less people working (one less day/week) the same thing as lower unemployment?

Quote:
- Americans are known for unfortunately working very long hours with few or no days off, unlike other western nations. It is selfish, bad, and dangerous for ourselves and society.[/b]
Americans work less hours per week today than any other time in the history of this country. We hardly work 'long hours'. The national average is right around 33 hours/week in America right now. You can work double that amount and not have it be 'bad, selfish or dangerous'.

Quote:
Malls and stores are open for very long hours anyway (most until 9 - 10 pm Mon - Sat), and it is more than enough. Family time is more important!
I work from 7am - 10:30pm a few days/week. The idea that I can't go grab a drink after work, or grab dinner at 11pm with family or friends is more than a little stupid. Often I do all of my grocery shopping close to 11pm.

What is your idea of 'family time'? sitting on your ass doing nothing? I want my family to visit museums, to eat at nice restaurants, and to actually experience the world. That means I want to go out and actually live life on sundays, not sit around doing nothing as you seem to want to do.

Last edited by hnsq; 05-14-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I assume this would include sports events, movies, dining out, and other entertainment as well? How about watching TV or listening to the radio? Or would the folks that work at the radio and tv stations get Sunday off as well?

I well remember Sunday Blue Law restrictions in my youth. The inconvenience of not being able to go to the grocery store, or buy a bottle of shampoo at the drug store (they were open, but only sold medicine). All except the uber-religious were extatic about getting rid of it. Blue Laws were just a relic of puritan America, a time when you got fined for not going to "meeting".

DH and I were in business after the local Blue Laws became extinct, and we were open on Sunday. It was one of our busiest days (we owned a bakery). We didn't force employees to work Sunday - unless they wanted to. If they had something planned with their families, they could always have off if they wanted.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Why pick Sunday? I would go for renewed Blue Laws if they made it for Wednesday. Middle of the week, too early to shop for the weekend, etc.

I will note that I was very pleased when the Texas Blue Laws were finally discarded. Now, if they would only allow liquor sales on Sunday......

Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
So you are trying to persecute and oppress the majority for giving secular reasons?

How is allowing people to do whatever they want (whether it be shopping or doing whatever you plan to do) even remotely oppressive?

It is actually the polar opposite to your approach which is shutdown everything for a few Christians that are hijacking a city or bigger for their own selfish reasons?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times
^^^^ Most of you are confused with the blue laws. Grocery stores, restaurants, bars, alcohol, pharmacies, gyms and movie theater will be permitted to remain open, but other retail stores including malls closed just like Bergen County.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Nope. Don't like shopping or drinking on Sunday?
Don't shop or drink on Sunday.

My partner only has Sunday off most weeks. When are we supposed to go do anything together?
You could do a lot besides shopping. Walking on parks, going to movies, eating out or relaxing at home.
Life is not based on shopping. Stop being selfish towards retail employees

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
^^^^ Most of you are confused with the blue laws. Grocery stores, restaurants, bars, alcohol, pharmacies, gyms and movie theater will be permitted to remain open, but other retail stores including malls closed just like Bergen County.
Why?

I like to go shopping on Sunday. Why should YOU be able to tell me I can't?
Why should YOU get to tell business owners that they can't be open?
How would you feel if government told businesses that they were required to be open on Sunday?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why?

I like to go shopping on Sunday. Why should YOU be able to tell me I can't?
Why should YOU get to tell business owners that they can't be open?
How would you feel if government told businesses that they were required to be open on Sunday?
It's not what you like and force retail employees serving you while you have "fun" and off from work.
Business on Sunday is more harmful than good. You have 6 other days of the week.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why pick Sunday? I would go for renewed Blue Laws if they made it for Wednesday. Middle of the week, too early to shop for the weekend, etc.

I will note that I was very pleased when the Texas Blue Laws were finally discarded. Now, if they would only allow liquor sales on Sunday......
Because Sunday is the day when least amount of people work, and when government offices are closed.
You cannot have it on Wednesday, because that's a regular workday and makes no sense.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
You could do a lot besides shopping. Walking on parks, going to movies, eating out or relaxing at home.
Life is not based on shopping. Stop being selfish towards retail employees
Those retail employees are getting PAID. They use that pay to get food, clothing, shelter. Why do you want to cut their earnings?

I'm not forcing businesses to be open. As I said before, I generally have one day a week to go shopping for our home with my partner. I like to have her input on home furnishings, paint colors, flooring, etc before I buy them. We go shopping on Sunday. If a store is closed, they don't get my business for that item.

Why are you excluding movie theater, and restaurant employees? How about grocery store employees? Or radio and TV employees? Why don't they count in your world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.