Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views

• Weaker men more likely to support welfare state and wealth redistribution
  • Link may reflect psychological traits that evolved in our ancestors
  • Strength was a proxy for ability to defend or acquire resources
  • There is no link between women's physical strength and political views

Read more: Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Your title is incorrect the report that is referenced is very specific that it focused on upper body strength.

Obviously the strongest part of most human beings are our legs. So they didn't look at total body strength.

Also it is clear they didn't measure strength. They measured the circumference of the flexed bicep.

To me a lot of fat out of shape men have very large arms. It's not clear to me if tats what they are measuring.

In two of the nations the measured very young men. Average age in Argentina was 21 and US 19. Those ages are not representative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
It all depends on how you word it. One can say "physically stronger men are more likely to have right-wing views" just as easily as one could say "Less intelligent, brutish men are more likely to have right-wing views". Personally, when I imagine some of the conservative posters here at CD, I don't imagine some handsome, muscular, striking example of powerful maledom. I imagine a big fat middle aged guy, a bag of Doritos in one hand, a beer in the other, a bowl of salsa in his lap and a gun or two on his computer desk, because you never know when you might need to shoot someone while posting here. Of course, that is a total BS over-generalization, and a well-balanced mind knows that there are both muscular and lean men in both sets of people. Some of those liberals probably have Dorito dust on their hands, too. Hah!

That being said, I do not consider myself to be especially liberal or conservative. I am also firmly in the "average" zone when it comes to overall size and strength. Just slightly less than six feet tall, cut but not that buff, thin and very lean but also with relatively broad shoulders and deep chest with prominent v-shaped torso. Are moderates more likely to be moderately-sized? Heh.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 05-17-2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 AM

154 posts, read 245,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views

• Weaker men more likely to support welfare state and wealth redistribution
  • Link may reflect psychological traits that evolved in our ancestors
  • Strength was a proxy for ability to defend or acquire resources
  • There is no link between women's physical strength and political views

Read more: Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing views, I am 100 percent certain this does not apply to Black men who are physically strong.

I am willing to bet that Black professional boxers and UFC fighters ALWAYS vote Democrat in every presidential election.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Hmm interesting, I'm 6' 3" and three hundred lb and a Liberal.
All the blokes playing this sport would be liberals by American standards.
Note the lack of helmets and padding, one has to wonder why right wing Americans are so soft ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_nBTmRc9LI
Well, they like to talk a good fight. As long as someone else is doing the fighting.

The New Hampshire Gazette » Chickenhawk Hall of Shame

Scroll down for the names, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Voting Democrat and being a liberal are not necessarily the same thing.
But it can be surmised that many people who vote Democrat are liberals.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
The female posters must be having a hoot with this thread!

We sound like a bunch of 7th grade boys waiting for that second hair to sprout out of that upper lip!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Lol at measuring physical strength on bicep size. Biceps are weak muscles and most guys spend a ridiculous amount of time on them for vanity reasons. Says absolutely nothing about strength. Meanwhile, we've already seen studies showing liberals are more intelligent than conservatives. So looks like it's Brains over Brawn.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
strength is all about the core

Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The female posters must be having a hoot with this thread!

We sound like a bunch of 7th grade boys waiting for that second hair to sprout out of that upper lip!

Oh, yes we are! That is, when we aren't drooling at mental images of the "beefcake" physiques of Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh and Bobby Jindal.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Oh, yes we are! That is, when we aren't drooling at mental images of the "beefcake" physiques of Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh and Bobby Jindal.
LOL! Don't leave out Chris Christie, and my personal favorite, the ever gelatinous and gaybashing Dean Chambers!

Unskewed Studmuffin Dean Chambers Does Not Care For Nate Silver’s Dickless Polling | TBogg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies