Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If he was rational enough to do that, he probably wouldn't be homeless in the first place.
wow you have no idea why he is homeless , nor do you know the circumstances surrounding his homelessness, must be hard walking around with that silver spoon in your mouth .....anyone could become homeless at any time given our economy . Some people need a good dose of humility and humanity .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
As a public library they cannot kick anyone out unless they are creating a disturbance. They cannot force anyone to take a bath or tell them they are not allowed to be in a public space.
False. I've been a public librarian for almost 7 years, in a number of both urban and rural libraries - and we DO have the right to set our own guidelines, and to enforce any rules that have been established. Public doesn't mean you can do whatever you want, or cause other people to be uncomfortable using the facilities too... and while we try to be as sympathetic as possible, there is a point where staff has to step in and take action. We can and do tell people they need to leave, either permanently or temporarily, for any of the reasons (and more) listed below.

I used to work for the San Francisco libraries, so you can imagine we dealt with our share of homeless folks. They were welcomed to use the library, but just like any other patron, had to follow our very clearly posted "guidelines for use." A few of those rules included no sleeping, no bathing in the restrooms, shirts & shoes required, no obvious intoxication, no harassment of other patrons or staff, and no overtly offensive odors.

We had this one old Vietnam Vet who'd come in frequently, and usually didn't cause any problems... but once he smelled so bad the other patrons were covering their mouths/noses, and we had to open a window & turn on the fan after he left. We didn't say anything about the smell, just reminded him of the shelter up the street (and encouraged him to use their showers before returning). He got the hint, and smelled fresh as a daisy the next day. It's a tricky situation sometimes, but we know how to be tactful yet effective.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I am not by nature a social worker. I admit it. Those who can successfully stay in our profession do so because they are saints.
Haha... never thought of myself as a saint, but I am a very tolerant person. And while I might just be an average-sized woman, I have the cajones of most men when needed. Must be the redhead part of me, because I do NOT back down when challenged!

Much of what you said is true, but only for certain types of libraries - like the main branch of an urban and/or low-income area. I've worked in San Francisco, Oakland, and Richmond (CA), where those issues were definitely an ongoing thing. But I have also worked in a rural county, and now in a ritzy suburban town, where the majority of our library users are actually doing "library stuff." To be perfectly honest, I sometimes miss the excitement of those city patrons; then again, sometimes I really do not.

P.S. My mother has been a librarian (both public & academic) for 40 years, and my late grandfather was also in the profession for 40+ years. Guess it's in my blood, lol.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Many years ago (too many) I used to work as a librarian in college. My work was in a specialty library that was for the local law school. I worked at the circulation desk for a couple of years and even though I was only about 20 years old, I was a highly regarded and sought after employee. I was the one who the women employees called on to deal with difficult patrons. I had to deal with people who wanted to bring dogs into the library, people attempting to steal books, people who didn't want to pay overdue fines, people who wanted to eat in the reading rooms, and yes, homeless people. I would confront people not following rules or causing trouble and ask them to leave. If I encountered resistance, I called the campus police and they came down and dealt with the situation.
No offense, but if you were in college and worked the circ desk, you weren't actually a librarian - you were most likely a clerk or library assistant, since one must have the MLIS to be a real librarian. I don't say that to be rude, just thought I'd mention it! Sounds like they made you do part of our job, though, since we're usually the ones having to deal with problem patrons. Two of the clerks at my library are men, one standing at 6'4", so they will step in if they think I'm having trouble... but for the most part, I try to handle all those issues myself.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Actually there are several medical conditions that do indeed make people smell. They have no control over it.
If somebody has a known medical condition, we would most likely try to accommodate them until/unless other patrons complained. I remember this one patron at my old library, who was intellectually challenged, and seemed to have an issue with body odor. We spoke with his social worker once or twice, but they insisted he was bathing regularly. So what did we do? We used the old "hand sanitizer-soaked hand near your nose" trick whenever he was at the reference desk. Hey, sometimes you have to get creative.

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out who still uses libraries to get books. Then you sit in there and read them? Man, you guys are kickin' it old school!
Ummm, every type of person? Believe it or not, we still circulate hundreds of thousands of books annually in my library system. I think the recent stats showed around 40% of library users only use the computers, and/or download eBooks & e-resources - but the other 60% checked out books, DVDs, CDs, etc. Yep, some of us crazy folks still like to hold a book in our hand!!

My favorite thing is seeing parents sitting cross-legged on the floor, reading a picture book to their child. Then you have the voracious 10 year-old reader, trying to convince her mother "yes, I can read all of these in 3 weeks." Libraries have definitely evolved over the years, but I still don't see actual books going out of style anytime soon.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-18-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 06:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No offense, but if you were in college and worked the circ desk, you weren't actually a librarian - you were most likely a clerk or library assistant, since one must have the MLIS to be a real librarian. I don't say that to be rude, just thought I'd mention it!
While correct from a technical standpoint, there are many people performing most or all of the traditional roles of librarians without the benefit of having an MLS/MLIS. I'm thinking in particular of the countless small public libraries serving rural communities ... communities without the resources to hire a degreed librarian.

In an academic setting, working circulation, often even the head of circulation is a library assistant (or library technician) - someone without a library degree. And certainly a student, working part-time at the circulation desk, would not be considered a "librarian" in the traditional sense. But to a typical patron unconcerned about academic credentials, *anyone* working in the library (other than a uniformed guard, maintenance worker, etc.) is seen as being a librarian. And if it's a public library with limited funding for staff, not only those at the circulation desk but also those at the reference desk may well be support staff and not degreed librarians.

With regard to the homeless and/or smelly people in libraries, see: Library Service to the Homeless » Public Libraries Online

Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Its that time of year here when the homeless begin to show up in our library. I'm sure the one guy who will stink up the place, shave in rest room and panhandle people on the premises will be due any day. They go to batroom first thing in the mornng an ruin it for the rest of the day because the janitor works evenings or early mornings.

IMO Libraries are for; patrons, tax payers and people who are using library "services" Most libraries are frquented by pretty much the same people on a regular basis. The people at the circ dest know people by name and they know who is ill and who is a homeless bum. Our library has a regulation that a person intends on using library services or you can be ask to leave. Sometimes they have a policeman do a walk through at certain parts of the day. This scares off internet pedophiles as well. I did my time in social sevice work and belive that homeless bums and neardowells should not be coddled and tolerated at every turn as if they are contributing members of society.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,925,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, you are a man, not a tall, blonde woman, with a teen daughter.

You have a completely different perspective, and those men don't leer at you. It was frightening to me. I felt like I was in an area, I would never go. I felt terrorized. Major fear factor. These guys looked just like the creep who took Elizabeth Smart. And my daughter was scared too. She was 12, and was almost in tears, because of the way those men were looking at her.

We could not leave fast enough.
What does being tall and blonde have anything to do with that? Would a short brunette or a short asian woman be any different?

If your daughter was almost in tears because the way someone look at her, she got issues.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Absolutely, just as long as they may also ban smelly children. I'll take the smelly homeless over smelly diapers any day.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what about some of you who are complaining about him offer him some clean clothes so maybe if he has a chance to shower he would do so and put on some clean fresh clothes . I used to work with some ladies who would hand out clothes to the homeless on weekends .
There are charities that do exactly that, AND will give the homeless man a place to clean up.
The Salvation Army
Goodwill
St. Vincent de Paul
Rescue missions
etc.
A library is not meant to be a place for the homeless to hang out.
Would you like the smelly guy or girl sitting next to you at McDonalds or Burger King?
How about if he/she managed to bum enough money to buy a cup of coffee?
Yes, the homeless person has "rights".
So do the other patrons of the establishment.
As always, the bottom line is, whose rights take precedence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies