Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It is just a mental malfunction. Same as with homosexuals and people with it should not be discriminated against anymore than anyone else with a handicap.Let them live in peace.
Homosexuality is not a mental malfunction. Stop embracing ignorance and stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
According to this people who try and look younger, or get a tan, also have a mental illness. They are looking at ways to change their born in physical properties.

Yet you are only looking to medicate transgender people.
The same for people who want to have their legs amputated, they are messed up in the head, to want to chop some normal part of your body, just because you don't think it belongs there. These people are mentally deranged, it's just that simple.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:58 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,527 times
Default Huh????...are we talking about the same level of things here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
According to this people who try and look younger, or get a tan, also have a mental illness. They are looking at ways to change their born in physical properties.

Yet you are only looking to medicate transgender people.
The people you mentioned are trying to improve their looks...Transgender people are trying to change their existence...their reality.

Going to a doctor for a tummy tuck is not the same as getting your damned d**k cut off....I'd say you have some serious issues.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Is someone who knows they belong in another country, not the one they were born and raised in mentally ill?

Souls go into wrong bodies sometimes..
What is a soul?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
I would like to bring this post more attention. Not only do I agree with what's stated therein, but I really respect the way the poster presented his opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
To the OP:
ithought your question was valid, logical and well presented. I also think that if people were to stop trying to be smart a$$es and actually answer the question, there could be a decent discussion, because it is a thought-provoking one from a certain POV.

Unfortunately, we have posters that would rather criticize you for your "horrid attack on these unfortunate minorities" and hide behind mindless PC instead of enaging in a conversation that could actually bring to light ideas concerning transgenders.

You have my sympathies.

IMHO, it probably should be classified as some type of psychological issue, with much counselling before ang operations take place (I think this happens anyway). But this leads us to the question, "if I'm born a male, then shouldn't I feel and want sex like every other male? IOW, hetero?" If we ask this, then we must answer the question, "do we believe people are born homosexuals?" Because it's pretty similar in context.

I believe some are. I believe some choose. It is neither here nor there to me either way.

But as for it being a mental disorder, I'm going to reluctantly say....

Yes.

But that does not necessarily mean i'm judging them or that they are crazy, or disturbed, etc. I'm more inclined to look at it from a scientific POV. (I have taught science for 20 yrs). If the Y chromosomes ars present, what is going on in the brain that is prventing men from feeling like "men"? And the same goes for the women. I'd be interested if anyone had any links to published data on research about this.
And now to answer another fair question, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Is homosexuality also a "mental illness" in your mind? Left-handedness?
One of the means for diagnosing anything as a mental illness is determining if it drives one to harming him/herself or others. Neither homosexuality nor left-handedness is known to motivate harm of any kind (no matter how temporary) or permanent changes to the body.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I would like to bring this post more attention. Not only do I agree with what's stated therein, but I really respect the way the poster presented his opinion:

And now to answer another fair question, myself.

One of the means for diagnosing anything as a mental illness is determining if it drives one to harming him/herself or others. Neither homosexuality nor left-handedness is known to motivate harm of any kind (no matter how temporary) or permanent changes to the body.
Being gay is not a mental disorder anymore than being straight is. I guess it makes people feel "okay" to discriminate against gay people if they can make a good enough reason to. Why must people feel that they have to put people in these labeled boxes of hate.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,676 times
It is.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
It's called a "mental disorder" by whom? Did you chose your sexuality? Or did you wake up one day and decide "Geez let me be a male or a female today?
Our brains tell us who we are not our genetalia!They said the same thing about Gay people as if they chose what to be! The human mind is very complex and I don't think anyone chooses their sexuality.
Really? Tell that to a relative of mine who decided it was cool to be gay. He chose his lifestyle and admitted to it. He was married, had a child etc. So yeah, I can choose to do certain sexual acts or not. Don't be so close-minded.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Really? Tell that to a relative of mine who decided it was cool to be gay. He chose his lifestyle and admitted to it. He was married, had a child etc. So yeah, I can choose to do certain sexual acts or not. Don't be so close-minded.
Huh? I am gay. I can choose to be celibate, but I'm still gay. I think you know that. No one's that dumb. So just because you are gay and choose to be celibate, doesn't make you not gay. If you choose to be celibate and that is what makes you happy, have it. Don't try to force that o. Others.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
10 years ago I would have jumped on the trash Transgender bandwagon. A funny thing happened. I met and got to know a few of these people. They are warm and sensitive. They are genuine and kind. If it is a mental illness perhaps it is one the world needs more of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies