Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times

Advertisements

No need to have a gun in your home. Just call these highly trained professionals.

Hofstra Student Killed by Police During Break-In - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
No need to have a gun in your home. Just call these highly trained professionals.

Hofstra Student Killed by Police During Break-In - ABC News
= dumb cops who are bad shots.
Did you know most LE officers only possess a high school diploma?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
My friend lives behind the intersection in Watertown where the terrorist standoff with police took place, there were bullet holes in practically every house in the intersection, all police issue. It's a miracle no one was killed in their beds.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Horrible story. So upsetting. What it tells me is -- in real life, things don't work out like they do on Law & Order. If a perp is going to kill someone, then an attempt at some heroic action shouldn't be made. Few cops are that accurate -- who would be? Add stress and milli-second movements . . . it is just not a good idea.

I would say the next biggest lesson is . . .crime can happen anywhere, any time, to anyone. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR FRONT DOOR OPEN, even for a few minutes. It all comes down to that door. This wouldn't have happened if someone had not left the door standing open.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Nine shots fired 8 hit perp 1 hit innocent girl. I wish things worked out better but the fault does not lie with the police. The fault lies with the thug and the liberal justice system of NY which saw fit to parole a convicted robber and then provided lax supervision upon his parole.

Also have you seen pics of the victim and her sister? Her toting a gun is not an image that comes to mind.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Sad. I went to Hofstra and that's pretty much the safest street in town. The second you step off campus there it's nothing but garbage.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Horrible story. So upsetting. What it tells me is -- in real life, things don't work out like they do on Law & Order. If a perp is going to kill someone, then an attempt at some heroic action shouldn't be made. Few cops are that accurate -- who would be? Add stress and milli-second movements . . . it is just not a good idea.

I would say the next biggest lesson is . . .crime can happen anywhere, any time, to anyone. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR FRONT DOOR OPEN, even for a few minutes. It all comes down to that door. This wouldn't have happened if someone had not left the door standing open.
So if someone is going to kill someone, what? Just let him? In that case, the person is DEFINITELY going to be killed. Isn't a chance at saving them better than letting them die? Yes, it sucks that it worked out the way it did, but it sounds like the criminal scumbag was threatening to shoot both the police officer and the innocent girl. What choice did the officer really have?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So if someone is going to kill someone, what? Just let him? In that case, the person is DEFINITELY going to be killed. Isn't a chance at saving them better than letting them die? Yes, it sucks that it worked out the way it did, but it sounds like the criminal scumbag was threatening to shoot both the police officer and the innocent girl. What choice did the officer really have?
Probably none, except not to fire 8 shots when one to the head of the perp should have sufficed.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I read that out of the shots one hit the girl. I wondered why so many shots though. Don't these guys get enough time practicing shooting ? Imagine if they had semi or full automatic weapons ?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Probably none, except not to fire 8 shots when one to the head of the perp should have sufficed.
You do know police aren't trained to be movie start heroes? They try to take several shots to the mass of a person to take them down because there is a better chance of hitting when there is distance between the officer and the person they are shooting at.

It is sad that she was struck and killed by one of those bullets, overall it is a very sad story that will effect those people's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies