Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,235,157 times

Advertisements

Earthquakes
Tsunamis
Floods
Tornadoes
Hurricanes
Droughts
Fires

These are all disasters that can cripple an area and destroy everything in their path. The government uses taxes to pay for things like the USGS, NOAA, NWS, and the NHC, to learn about, monitor, and sometimes predict the disasters. In some cases they warn our citizens to help them protect their lives and property. In other cases they assist with insurance claims.

...Living in the United States, for the most part, is sunshine and rainbows. Occasionally doom strikes and local government asks for money and assistance from the federal government to get help with aftermath.

Should we keep doing that?

Or should these services be cut and leave dealing with disasters up to the private sector and local/state government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Earthquakes
Tsunamis
Floods
Tornadoes
Hurricanes
Droughts
Fires

These are all disasters that can cripple an area and destroy everything in their path. The government uses taxes to pay for things like the USGS, NOAA, NWS, and the NHC, to learn about, monitor, and sometimes predict the disasters. In some cases they warn our citizens to help them protect their lives and property. In other cases they assist with insurance claims.

...Living in the United States, for the most part, is sunshine and rainbows. Occasionally doom strikes and local government asks for money and assistance from the federal government to get help with aftermath.

Should we keep doing that?

Or should these services be cut and leave dealing with disasters up to the private sector and local/state government?
The FEMA rescue in New Orleans was the largest and most succesful human rescue mission ever run by government.

That should tell us that government cannot help in disasters.

Plus, there is nowhere in the Constitution that authorizes federal disater relief of any type. It aint in there.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The FEMA rescue in New Orleans was the largest and most succesful human rescue mission ever run by government.

That should tell us that government cannot help in disasters.

Plus, there is nowhere in the Constitution that authorizes federal disater relief of any type. It aint in there.
I agree.

...But there are posters who said that we should abolish the NWS and get the private sector to do the work, like the European forecast model does for Europe.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times
Why not. Create another slush fund to raid and then when a disaster hits and it's empty blame Bush. Sounds like a good plan.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,549,509 times
The government can do whatever it wants...the money in your pocket belongs to it.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The government can do whatever it wants...the money in your pocket belongs to it.
I never asked whether or not it could...
...I asked whether or not it should...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
You already pay taxes to fund that. You want to pay more ?
Send in a check.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You already pay taxes to fund that. You want to pay more ?
Send in a check.
I am asking whether or not people should think we pay at all?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,551,856 times
One of the reasons I returned to my hometown from Florida was the expense of hurricanes - shutters, homeowner's insurance rates, flood insurance, building codes for hurricanes....and that's BEFORE a storm hits.

Sorry, I don't want to pay for anyone else's desire to live in disaster prone areas.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
One of the reasons I returned to my hometown from Florida was the expense of hurricanes - shutters, homeowner's insurance rates, flood insurance, building codes for hurricanes....and that's BEFORE a storm hits.

Sorry, I don't want to pay for anyone else's desire to live in disaster prone areas.
Millions of Americans live in areas prone to hurricane, areas on fault lines, areas in flood zones, and areas suspect to storms and tornadoes.

...You're paying for it already, regardless of whether or not you want to. It's just a matter of whether or not you want to make things easier on people or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies