Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 PM

500 posts, read 376,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Shorter version: "I would rather not acknowledge the fact that violent anti-gay bigotry exists."

Thanks for playing.
Even shorter version (which I stated in my first post): I don't care.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM

78,419 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Is the fact that the victim in this case was black, and his assailant white, at all relevant to this discussion?
Well, in your first post you talk about "anti-gay bigots" and calling people "liberals" etc.

I just found that to be a little surprising because nearly 1/2 of all hate crimes against gay men are committed by black males which tend not to be conservatives which is where you were headed.

If you want to talk about bigotry then absolutely that's more your bible thumping social conservatives.
If you want to talk about actual hate crimes against gays then it starts getting into other demographic groups. (lots of complex factors surrounding this).

I think that in order to have an honest conversation about violence towards gays, you have to recognize who is committing a disproportionate amount of it....but I know some people due to their political views are uncomfortable with that discussion and just want to infer that this stuff is a "red state, redneck thing" which isn't accurate.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I have very mixed feelings about "Hate Crime" legislation, but there are instances (such as this one) where a crime is committed specifically because of the skin color, culture, nationality, gender, etc. of the victim.

Had the victim not been homosexual, this particular heinous act would not have been committed. Likewise, recall the death several years ago of the black man who was dragged to death behind the truck of some racist wastes of human space in Texas. That was purely racially motivated.

Murders may all utlimately have the same results, but these are incidents in which the crime was committed solely because of something about the victim that the perp hated.

I'm still not endorsing hate crime laws but episides such as this make me wonder if there isn't some substance to the idea.
I'd like to see data to show that hate crime laws actually do something beneficial. I do not buy into the idea that a premeditated crime is worse for so-called hate reasons. Someone kills a person because they want his watch. Why is that different than killing him/her because they are gay/black/short/fat/jewish, etc?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM

78,419 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'd like to see data to show that hate crime laws actually do something beneficial. I do not buy into the idea that a premeditated crime is worse for so-called hate reasons. Someone kills a person because they want his watch. Why is that different than killing him/her because they are gay/black/short/fat/jewish, etc?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post

There is no reason for killing someone just for being gay.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
The murderer shouted anti-gay slurs at the victim and his friend just before he pulled the trigger and shot the victim in the face.

Gunman shoots 32-year-old Mark Carson dead in Greenwich Village bias attack: officials* - NY Daily News

This is the latest in a series of violent attacks against gay people in New York in recent weeks.

Anti-gays: does this make you happy?

(And here come the snide remarks about "liberal" New York, gun control, blaming the victim, etc. -- anything to avoid acknowledging the reality that anti-gay bigotry is real, it's out there, and it can be deadly.)
Asking if it makes anti-gays happy tells me everything I need to know about your mindset. Murder is murder. People are murdered for Air Jordans and Iphones... does this make people that wear sandals and own Galaxy's happy? sheesh

Would it make you happy if anti-gays were murdered?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Asking if it makes anti-gays happy tells me everything I need to know about your mindset. Murder is murder. People are murdered for Air Jordans and Iphones... does this make people that wear sandals and own Galaxy's happy? sheesh
And yet there are people in this very forum who are cheering a religiously-inspired mob in Tbilisi for violently breaking up a gay-rights rally. This is just a step beyond.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post

Much shorter version: Gays should be killed.

Thanks for that moment of clarity.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Do people really argue that anti-gay bigotry doesn't exist?

I think the simple answer is that bigotry still exists and sometimes results in violence. It is a bad thing.
Well the poster above you is an extreme anti-gay bigot, yet he claims his views are loving and Christ-like. Anti-gay bigots are often delusional closet cases.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
Edward is a rabid gay hater and wants all gays to repent and stop being gay. He's claiming this man died before turning from his evil gayness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies