Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this thread has been done b4 or not, if so it must be sort of in the archives or something...anyway,

The world has 7 billion people in it and some of us are agreeing that could be a real problem.

We would need a population control council, sort of like a sci-fi movie only real Here are my ideas:

1. Sort of like China did once...a "two children only" policy. That would apply to ALL countries. If someone wanted more children they could always visit an orphanage. Or foster someone else's. Or adopt. But two biological children only-that would be the bottom line.
2. Make infertility clinics a thing of the past. Shut 'em down.
3. Involuntary sterilization after the two children have come.
4. People who want children will have to have them between 20 and 40 and no later. There would be laws prohibiting men having second families and so on...
5. People have to be married first and there will be no welfare, and higher taxes for larger families and lower taxes for the smaller families.

I also think arranged marriages should take place in America but that is a different topic whatsoever.

Yanno, overpopulation is anissue that ALL of us may have to face one day one way or another.

What are your ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
Well, I despise OP's ideas. Birth rates are going down below replacement levels in Western Society anyway. We won't need to curb overpopulation, we're going to start seeing numbers go the other way. More of my female friends are choosing to go childfree. And birth rates have been gradually lowering in many developing nations also.

World Data:
  • In Bangladesh fertility rates have fallen from 6.8 children per woman to 2.7 in 2010; In China the decline was from 5.6 to 1.7; Brazil went from 6.1 to 1.8. In Brazil, economic growth has given women the chance to work, while popular local t.v. soap operas (novelas) portray working women with small families.
  • Nigeria declined less: from 6.5 in 1955 to 5.2, and Yemen declined from 8.3 to 5.1.
  • The rate of growth of the world population has halved since the 1960s; the number added to the population has fallen every year for over 20 years. The drop in fertility has been driven mainly by economic development, female emancipation, education, contraception and by the defeat of child mortality: women can now actually plan their families.
  • About 59 countries (comprising about 44% of the world’s population) are not producing enough children to maintain their population.
  • Demographers predict that the world population will peak at about 9 billion by 2070 and then start to contract. The population of Russia, for example, is currently contracting by about 750,000 per year and Japan’s population is expected to fall by about one third during the next 50 years. Fertility in the Middle East is falling especially fast. (See "The global baby bust" by Phillip Longman, Foreign Affairs 2004, vol 83(3), pp 64-79).
  • in 2010, Europe was the continent with the lowest average "total fertility rate" (TFR), at 1.5 children per woman. Fertility decline was especially rapid in Southern Europe: Spain and Italy have 1.2 children per woman.

International Birth Rates
Baby Blues in Europe as Birth Rate Declines
National Immigration Rates On The Rise While Births Are On The Decline « CBS Philly

We can expect population decline before the next century.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Providing an economy where most people think they will be supported by either a surviving child or the state when they get elderly. Childbirth is hazardous in 1st world countries with high end medical care. It is far more dangerous when only a midwife is available. Women, when they have the choice, are voting to have only 1 or 2 childern not 6 or more. There are many reasons there are more surviving childern.

I hope this is sufficiently thoughtful. I could say the same thing in a lot more words if it pleases the powers that be.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Tax incentives for NOT having children. Right now, in the US, the tax code favors persons with children and basically "punishes" those with out. Remember, persons without children aren't using one of the most costly government funded programs there is: Education. So why are they taxed at a higher rate, to pay for schools, etc and those who use those programs are given a tax break?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I don't know if this thread has been done b4 or not, if so it must be sort of in the archives or something...anyway,

The world has 7 billion people in it and some of us are agreeing that could be a real problem.

We would need a population control council, sort of like a sci-fi movie only real Here are my ideas:

1. Sort of like China did once...a "two children only" policy. That would apply to ALL countries. If someone wanted more children they could always visit an orphanage. Or foster someone else's. Or adopt. But two biological children only-that would be the bottom line.
4. People who want children will have to have them between 20 and 40 and no later. There would be laws prohibiting men having second families and so on...
5. People have to be married first and there will be no welfare, and higher taxes for larger families and lower taxes for the smaller families.

I also think arranged marriages should take place in America but that is a different topic whatsoever.

Yanno, overpopulation is anissue that ALL of us may have to face one day one way or another.

What are your ideas?
Smoky, just what are you smoking?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times
I am a progressive thinker, but I still think nature intended for women to have their children when they are relatively young-not teens maybe, but certainly in their 20s and 30s. I have one cousin that had one at 42 (2008) that's pushing it-and I do know one of her older children has type 1 diabetes.
I also think the taxes we pay every year should be used for good purposes....like Phil said there should be tax incentives to stay childless or only have one or two.
I shudder to think my tax dollars could be supporting illegal aliens, welfare mothers and their illegitamite brats or deadbeat boyfriend...I know I tend to offend some people, but I know also that there are other poeple who think like I do

Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Progressive thinker? Your ideas sound like they came from the Third Reich. Involuntary sterilization??

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post

What are your ideas?

don't worry nature will cull the herd..

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
Two of the world's super powers can't agree on whether a country that has set up concentration camps possibly containing 100,000 people is good or bad, should have nuclear weapons or not. And the entire world, including those middle eastern countries stuck in the Stone Age and African countries with no gov't in place, are going to agree on a common solution?

The way the world is progressing, I think it will soon become necessary we shut our borders and protect our nation. But America will be so diluted and split apart, we will not be able unite for our own common good.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM

128 posts, read 93,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Well, I despise OP's ideas. Birth rates are going down below replacement levels in Western Society anyway. We won't need to curb overpopulation, we're going to start seeing numbers go the other way. More of my female friends are choosing to go childfree. And birth rates have been gradually lowering in many developing nations also.

World Data:
  • In Bangladesh fertility rates have fallen from 6.8 children per woman to 2.7 in 2010; In China the decline was from 5.6 to 1.7; Brazil went from 6.1 to 1.8. In Brazil, economic growth has given women the chance to work, while popular local t.v. soap operas (novelas) portray working women with small families.
  • Nigeria declined less: from 6.5 in 1955 to 5.2, and Yemen declined from 8.3 to 5.1.
  • The rate of growth of the world population has halved since the 1960s; the number added to the population has fallen every year for over 20 years. The drop in fertility has been driven mainly by economic development, female emancipation, education, contraception and by the defeat of child mortality: women can now actually plan their families.
  • About 59 countries (comprising about 44% of the world’s population) are not producing enough children to maintain their population.
  • Demographers predict that the world population will peak at about 9 billion by 2070 and then start to contract. The population of Russia, for example, is currently contracting by about 750,000 per year and Japan’s population is expected to fall by about one third during the next 50 years. Fertility in the Middle East is falling especially fast. (See "The global baby bust" by Phillip Longman, Foreign Affairs 2004, vol 83(3), pp 64-79).
  • in 2010, Europe was the continent with the lowest average "total fertility rate" (TFR), at 1.5 children per woman. Fertility decline was especially rapid in Southern Europe: Spain and Italy have 1.2 children per woman.

International Birth Rates
Baby Blues in Europe as Birth Rate Declines
National Immigration Rates On The Rise While Births Are On The Decline « CBS Philly

We can expect population decline before the next century.
This is good because it means immigration will progressively become less of an issue because people won't need to immigrate anymore.

Yay. People won't be ethnically cleansed by mass immigration. \o/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies