Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It would be totally inappropriate. What are you looking for? Firing? Being sued? Being suspended? Being put on a work improvement plan? Yeah, I can see it now.

Mrs. Smith will not pray when fearing the death of herself or her students from an F-5 tornado or she will be dismissed from her teaching position. Mrs. Smith will attend 24 hours of professional development on professional teacher conduct during a life threatening event. Mrs. Smith will meet once a week for the next school term with the principal of the school for one-on-one remediation counseling addressing how to properly deal with a life threatening event.

Are you nuts?
Yes they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
You don't have a 1st Amendment right to pray aloud when you are supposed to be doing your job, whether you are a teacher or a burger flipper. That said, it was an unusual situation in which they were not thinking clearly, and anyone who doesn't understand that has never been in mortal danger.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You don't have a 1st Amendment right to pray aloud when you are supposed to be doing your job, whether you are a teacher or a burger flipper. That said, it was an unusual situation in which they were not thinking clearly, and anyone who doesn't understand that has never been in mortal danger.
"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

You liberals always forget this part. Their job? Now what teacher was grading papers during this time? Oh wait the liberal teachers were? lol

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Teachers in religious schools should be able to lead student prayers, teachers in public schools who lead student prayers can go to hell.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Teachers should pray silently.

When my girls were in the prayer group at school, it had to be before or after school and outside. Teachers should follow the same rules.
They could pray silently before and after the tornados.
Unfortunately, they were not.
Who ever said anyone could NOT pray silently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
"There are no atheists in foxholes"
Lie, but don't let that stop you from repeating it.

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/
MAAF maintains a roster of Atheists in Foxholes, just in case there are any rumors that we don't exist. The next time you hear someone repeat that old myth, just send them here to see how atheists have served honorably in combat - always have, always will.

http://ffrf.org/outreach/atheists-in-foxholes
t’s time to dispel one of this nation’s greatest myths . . . There are indeed many atheists in foxholes.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...775935,00.html
Despite pious rumor, there are atheists in foxholes. So writes Transport Chaplain Lewis A. Myers in the current Arkansas Baptist: "Foxholes are not valid agents for making Christians, for destroying atheists or for driving men to God. ... If you desire a man to come out of a foxhole with something, you had better send him in with something.

There are thousands of additional links.

Last edited by chielgirl; 05-21-2013 at 11:42 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
In a public school, why should a teacher exploit the tornado victims to force their own agenda on students? That is despicable. Can't it just be a moment of silence and have the students choose to do what they want with the moment? If the student chooses to pray, so be it. If it was a Muslim teacher leading an Islamic prayer, would you people still feel it was alright? Yeah, that's what I thought...
Moment of silence? This isn't the morning announcements. The school was literally being torn apart by an F5 tornado.

This whole thread is completely nuts. I am very grateful for the teachers who protected the children and were able to get the vast majority of them out alive.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Extraordinary situation. While I think that the teachers were wrong for praying out loud/trying to lead prayer, I can't imagine the amount of stress they were under and they were just trying to do what comforts them. Unfortunately, they probably also upset non-believing students in the room. Having been on the other side (though luckily our school was not hit), my teacher's prayers to Jesus did nothing but make me really, really angry.

As to no atheists in foxholes - hello, I went through stage IV cancer at 23 and probably would have killed myself had I believed in a personal deity. After watching many of my friends die of their cancers in their 20s, any desire to believe has been killed in me. I don't WANT to believe, because if I did, I would have a very serious bone to pick with this deity. Easier to blame rogue cells in my body than to blame a deity, as belief would naturally lead to.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Watching the accounts of the tornadoes today, I was struck by how many teachers at the schools that were hit admitted to praying aloud and even encouraging and leading their students in prayer as the tornado approached. Should these teacher face discipline, perhaps just a reprimand, or should we look the other way in certain situations? Does the Constitution not apply during impending disaster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They could pray silently before and after the tornados.
Unfortunately, they were not.
Yes, they all thought they may be about to die in a tornado, now let's go on a witch hunt after them for praying for their lives! Shall we sue them as well, for making the children uncomfortable by laying themselves on top of them to protect them from flying debris?

You guys are truly sick and should be ashamed of yourselves. Your hatred for anything or anyone Christian is seriously making you bitter, nasty people.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Yes, they all thought they may be about to die in a tornado, now let's go on a witch hunt after them for praying for their lives! Shall we sue them as well, for making the children uncomfortable by laying themselves on top of them to protect them from flying debris?

You guys are truly sick and should be ashamed of yourselves. Your hatred for anything or anyone Christian is seriously making you bitter, nasty people.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
"There are no atheists in foxholes"
Absolutely false.

THat being said, in extreme circumstances such as this, I don't see any issues with teachers leading students in prayer.

In any other case, absolutely not, during school hours at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies