Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,518,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
My post was totally in context of the post I was responding to as that one was to the post it was responding to. If you have nothing critical or noteworty to add to the thread, why don't you find another to waste bandwidth on?
Your posting tax rates on a thread about FEMA and big government liberalism incompetence. If you have nothing critical or noteworty to add to the thread, why don't you find another to waste bandwidth on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,170,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

I’m under no such constraint. The numbers, for decades now, have been quite clear: With some exceptions, what we regard as red states are sent a whole lot more of your hard-earned tax dollars than the traditional blue states. In effect, supposedly indolent, “tax and spend” liberals actually subsidize the individualistic, pure, and hard-working lifestyle of our conservative countrymen.

Blue state, red face: Guess who benefits more from your taxes?
How many times does this need to be debunked? Simple example of many, the state of South Dakota has something like 750 miles of Interstate 80 running through it. The traffic on that road is east/west traffic as it's one of the main corridors for commerce connecting San Francisco to NYC. It's not the people ND benefiting from the goods flowing West from NYC or the fruits and vegetables flowing east from California.

If you're going to make any comparison you first need to eliminate federally funded projects and installations that benefit this entire country like military bases, If you want another example you have New Mexico a left leaning state who often tops these lists. They just happen to be home to Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratories and who knows what else...

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,671,716 times
from the website:https://www.ok.gov/OEM/saferoom/app/index.php

What is the SoonerSafe - Safe Room Rebate Program?
A. A program to provide a rebate for purchase and installation of safe rooms for Oklahoma homeowners.

2. Q. What is a safe room?
A. For the purposes of this program, the term safe room will include any above or below ground shelter in which the design, construction, and installation comply with the 2008 versions of FEMA Publications 320 (Taking Shelter from the Storm) and FEMA 361 (Design and Construction Criteria for Community Safe Rooms), as well as ICC 500 (Standards for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters.

3. Q. When is the safe room rebate registration deadline for this program?
A. There is no deadline. The online application is open 365 days a year.

4. Q. How is the SoonerSafe Safe Room Rebate Program funded?
A. The funds are provided through the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. OEM must comply with all federal grant regulations for each safe room rebate recipient, to include eligibility of properties, documentation, etc.

5. Q. How will I be notified if I am selected for a rebate?
A. You will be notified via the email address you provide when you register. Please be sure to use an email address you check regularly. You may also log in to your account at any time to check the status.

6. Q. If my application is selected, what will I need to do to receive my rebate?
A. You will need to complete the following three steps: 1.) confirm your participation on SoonerSafe.com; 2.) have a safe room installed on your property following the guidelines in the SoonerSafe Rules and Regulations; 3.) submit the required documentation to OEM by September 30, 2012 (see question 8 for more information on what documentation is required).

7. Q. If my application is selected, how long do I have to get my safe room installed?
A. Your deadline to install the safe room on your property and submit the required documentation will be associated with your selection period. (see question 8 for more information on what documentation is required). However, please note that you must confirm your participation on SoonerSafe.com in order to continue with the program.

8. Q. What documentation am I required to submit to receive my rebate?
A. You must submit your paid invoice(s) showing the total cost of safe room purchase and installation, along with a completed SoonerSafe Certificate of Installation to attest that the safe room’s design, construction, and installation complies with the 2008 versions of FEMA Publications 320 (Taking Shelter from the Storm) and FEMA 361 (Design and Construction Criteria for Community Safe Rooms), as well as ICC 500 (Standards for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters). The certificate must be signed by the safe room installer and submitted to OEM by the deadline associated with your selection period. Please send all documentation to: SoonerSafe, c/o: Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management, P.O. Box 53365, Oklahoma City, OK 73152

Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 PM

Then what is this?

https://www.ok.gov/OEM/saferoom/app/index.php

Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It is available, from what I can tell. Just go to the website. Do you have a policy of never clicking on a link?

https://www.ok.gov/OEM/saferoom/app/index.php
I did click it. It's an Oklahoma site, not FEMA.

Obviously FEMA and the big government liberals ****ed this program up or more people woulda had shelters.

Why don't you join in with the rest of the liberal lemmings and change the topic to tax rates of Oklahoma compared to Massachsetts. Anything to avoid admitting the Obama Administration never cut thru the govrnment red tape like we were promised on multiple occassions.

Maybe if then-VP Al Gore would have streamlined the government red tape like he promised in his 1990s program "Reinventing Government" FEMA and the Obama Adminstration wouldn't have ****ed this up.

I got a great idea since the govt has proved ineptitude once again. Why don't we eliminate income taxes altogether. Then people could keep money they earned and spend it more efficiently on things they want. Who knows, they might even have enough to build tornando shelters with their earnings instead of having to wait to wait to get money back they already were forced to give away.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,744,336 times
Some people are really struggling to grasp that FEMA delayed the projects for over a year by constantly changing their standards.

FEMA is not even claiming that the accusation is wrong. They are "looking into it."

Quote:
Officials in the Oklahoma City suburb ravaged by deadly tornadoes Monday complained earlier this year about FEMA's foot-dragging over $2 million in federal grants for "safe rooms" in 800 homes that would protect people from severe weather.

"Our countywide Hazard Mitigation Plan still has not been approved by the State and FEMA," said a statement posted in February on the City of Moore's website. It said that changes to federal requirements occurred while the city's contractor was preparing the plan, adding, "We've found that the FEMA requirements ... seem to be a constantly moving target.

A spokesperson for the Federal Emergency Management Agency told NBC News the agency is "looking into" the city's claim about delays.
Grants to help build 'safe rooms' delayed by red tape | firstcoastnews.com

The town finished their hazard plan May 2012, but FEMA's constantly changing standard meant they had to redo it. And trying to hit FEMA's "moving target" standards meant May 2013, the town's hazard plan had still not been approved and the safe rooms were not built.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 AM

And if FEMA wasn't providing funding for this program how did 500 homeowners already receive rebates in 2012?

Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management - 20120109 Safe Room Rebate Program Announces Recipients

"Safe Room Rebate Program Announces Recipients

OKLAHOMA CITY – Five hundred Oklahoma homeowners have been selected to receive safe room rebates today as part of the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management’s (OEM) statewide program launched in September.

The SoonerSafe - Safe Room Rebate Program provides a 75-percent rebate – up to $2,000 – to eligible Oklahomans who install above-ground or below-ground safe rooms. The program will deliver more than $1 million in rebates to eligible homeowners in 2012.

Recipients will need to confirm their participation via the SoonerSafe website within 30 days in order to proceed with the rebate program. They will then have until September 30, 2012 to construct the safe room to FEMA standards and submit the required documentation to the state.

The SoonerSafe - Safe Room Rebate Program was developed by OEM in partnership with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) OK.gov, the State’s web portal to provide a rebate for purchase and installation of safe rooms for Oklahoma homeowners. More than 14,000 people have registered for the program since its launch.

The program uses a random selection process to select names so that everyone who registers will have an equal chance to be selected. However, funding priority was given to residents whose homes were destroyed in the April 14, 2011 Tushka tornado and May 22-25, 2011 tornadoes in central and northeastern Oklahoma, which garnered presidential disaster declarations for individual assistance last year.

Homeowners who did not register in 2011 can still be eligible for future drawings by registering online at www.soonersafe.ok.gov. Recipients will be selected annually.

To meet FEMA requirements, safe rooms cannot be installed prior to the rebate drawing and notification period in order to be eligible for the program.

Safe rooms save lives

Following the 1999 and 2003 Oklahoma tornado outbreaks, OEM worked with FEMA to help fund nearly 10,000 individual above and below ground safe rooms across the state through a rebate program. Since that time, safe room programs have been emphasized at the local level.

Independent of this statewide initiative, community-based individual safe room rebate programs also will continue. These programs require municipalities and counties to serve as the grant applicant; to manage the program and be responsible for securing the 25 percent funding match.

What qualifies as a safe room?

For the purposes of this program, the term safe room will include any above or below ground shelter which meets or exceeds FEMA 320 guidelines for building a residential safe room.

For more information about safe rooms or to download a copy of FEMA Publication 320, which contains recommended construction plans for safe rooms, visit the FEMA website www.fema.gov/mit/saferoom."

Maybe the Moore city website is referring to the community-based program which is a separate initiative.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,744,336 times
Quote:
The state program. The state also offers grants to a very small number of homeowners. Last year they gave grants to 500 homeowners out of 16,000 that applied.

That is separate from the FEMA program which was supposed to be helping Moore build 800 safe rooms in Moore alone.

I've provided tons of links in this thread, even some from liberal sources. FEMA promised aid and then made it impossible to get.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
from the website:https://www.ok.gov/OEM/saferoom/app/index.php

What is the SoonerSafe - Safe Room Rebate Program?
A. A program to provide a rebate for purchase and installation of safe rooms for Oklahoma homeowners.

2. Q. What is a safe room?
A. For the purposes of this program, the term safe room will include any above or below ground shelter in which the design, construction, and installation comply with the 2008 versions of FEMA Publications 320 (Taking Shelter from the Storm) and FEMA 361 (Design and Construction Criteria for Community Safe Rooms), as well as ICC 500 (Standards for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters.

3. Q. When is the safe room rebate registration deadline for this program?
A. There is no deadline. The online application is open 365 days a year.

4. Q. How is the SoonerSafe Safe Room Rebate Program funded?
A. The funds are provided through the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. OEM must comply with all federal grant regulations for each safe room rebate recipient, to include eligibility of properties, documentation, etc.

5. Q. How will I be notified if I am selected for a rebate?
A. You will be notified via the email address you provide when you register. Please be sure to use an email address you check regularly. You may also log in to your account at any time to check the status.

6. Q. If my application is selected, what will I need to do to receive my rebate?
A. You will need to complete the following three steps: 1.) confirm your participation on SoonerSafe.com; 2.) have a safe room installed on your property following the guidelines in the SoonerSafe Rules and Regulations; 3.) submit the required documentation to OEM by September 30, 2012 (see question 8 for more information on what documentation is required).

7. Q. If my application is selected, how long do I have to get my safe room installed?
A. Your deadline to install the safe room on your property and submit the required documentation will be associated with your selection period. (see question 8 for more information on what documentation is required). However, please note that you must confirm your participation on SoonerSafe.com in order to continue with the program.

8. Q. What documentation am I required to submit to receive my rebate?
A. You must submit your paid invoice(s) showing the total cost of safe room purchase and installation, along with a completed SoonerSafe Certificate of Installation to attest that the safe room’s design, construction, and installation complies with the 2008 versions of FEMA Publications 320 (Taking Shelter from the Storm) and FEMA 361 (Design and Construction Criteria for Community Safe Rooms), as well as ICC 500 (Standards for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters). The certificate must be signed by the safe room installer and submitted to OEM by the deadline associated with your selection period. Please send all documentation to: SoonerSafe, c/o: Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management, P.O. Box 53365, Oklahoma City, OK 73152
We could just elimnate income taxes and let people keep what is rightfully theirs. Then they could build their own shelters.

That would be much more efficient. Both in monetary costs and time.

It would also mean progressives would have to give up control over other peoples lives. The inner-totalatarian that resides in every liberal would never allow for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies