Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
No: OP's a Choctaw Indian from Oklahoma with a French mother. Who grew up on an Indian reservation with Navajos, Hopis, Mormans and Chicanos.
Hilarious - someone from Oklahoma complaining about a person that speaks with an accent. All of the people that I have met from Oklahoma sound like Larry the Cable Guy.

In OK:

wash = warsh
creek = crick
liberal use of the "word" ain't
lack of use of "ing" ending - walkin', talkin', complainin'

I guess since they are white, as far as the OP is concerned everything is A-OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Oh please. Lots of white Chicagoans (Da Bears!), New Yorkers, Wisconsinites as mentioned, and people all over the country say "d" for "th". It might not be the King's English, but it's colloquially accepted. And speaking of the King's English, by those standards none of us speak properly.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Oh please. Lots of white Chicagoans (Da Bears!), New Yorkers, Wisconsinites as mentioned, and people all over the country say "d" for "th". It might not be the King's English, but it's colloquially accepted. And speaking of the King's English, by those standards none of us speak properly.
Yeahyeahyeah... but we're talking about da Blacks. I mean, what is with them?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorax322 View Post
Other than wigger trash I don't know any whites who talk like that.
What is wigger trash?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
You have 194 posts and you were new here a few hours ago? I'm guessing the real story is that you were banned and you're back--especially because of the nature of your posts.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
I speak better than most white people I know. No one I know irl says "axe" instead of "ask". And if Forrest Whitaker was in a movie, maybe he was acting. Just a thought.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's dialectical. Every black person I know is capable of saying words with TH in them, and every black person I know is capable of pronouncing the word "ask" correctly. In informal speech, TH is replaced with D and "ask" becomes "axe".
Tho not all "Black" people talk that way; even with other Blacks.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not I.

Proper pronunciation indicates a higher level of intellect. Anyone can talk like a hood rat.
[Grammar] English is a Funny Language

English pronunciation test.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Sometimes I think white people think I'm mocking them. Many of them look shocked when I begin talking. It is impossible for me to sound more stereotypically "black". I tried really hard to do so in high school and my early 20s. Now I just speak naturally. F#*# what people think I'm supposed to sound like. O/T I've had just as many white people say I "talk white" as black people. It's offensive either way.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
OP, you and I could probably never have a vocal conversation. I was born in the south and raised in the rural midwest. I'm perfectly capable of speaking "proper" English but, quite frankly, unless I'm interviewing for a job or interacting with people who regularly use proper grammar, I sound like a redneck southerner.

Like another poster here, I had a problem with pronunciation when I was young that led to several years of speech therapy. On top of that, I had a nervous stutter that took years to get under control. To this day, if I'm intoxicated, highly stressed, or extremely tired I will 'hang' on certain sounds. The stutter, along with the internalization method which I was taught in order to control it, leaves me with a speech pattern that is slightly unnatural to most. Those who have been around me for a while have learned to accept the odd pauses in my sentences, but new people tend to think I'm done speaking when I'm actually in the middle of a sentence.

If the simple acts of exchanging a "d" for a "th" or an "x" for an "sk" bother you, a conversation with me would probably put you in therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies