Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
All you want to do is fuel this thing with garble. The facts are what they are. And to be honest they should pic a jury from another country...we all know what would happen...so what does that tell..?
Garble??? I'm following her just fine. I'm sure she would be happy to dumb down for you if she could, but I don't think she does "dumb".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Engaging in a scuffle doesn't give you carte blanche to shoot someone dead if they get the upper hand on you. THAT'S why this is going to trial.

Besides, if Zimmerman was in as grave a danger as the right-wingers want to believe, why was he not hospitalized the night of the tragedy? Because his injuries were so minor, it wasnt necessary? Bingo.

As someone else stated, just because you percieve a threat, doesn't make it so, and it does not give you license to go trigger happy on your "assailant". A bloody nose and a few scratches to the back of the head hardly speaks of mortal danger. Not to mention there's a possibility that Zimmerman initiated the confrontation. A strong possibility. Right-wingers are delusional if they think this is a simple open and shut case.
There is no "strong possibility" that Zimmerman started the physical altercation. Martin had no injuries prior to the shooting. Plus, even if Zimmerman did start the confrontation, he can still succeed on a self-defense claim if Martin escalated the fight. The seriousness of Zimmerman's injuries are not dispositive to his self-defense claim. Zimmerman only needed to believe that his life was in danger. Evidence shows and witnesses concur that Martin was on top of him banging Zimmerman's head on the ground and Zimmerman said that Martin told him he was going to kill him. Sounds to me like he had ample reason to fear for his life.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Amazing isn't it? People are so entrenched in ideology that they simply cannot let it go despite the clear facts, almost all of which support Zimmerman's self-defense story. The facts supported his story from the beginning, which is why the first DA did not charge him until people made this political. Zimmerman said Martin pounded his head on the ground and he had injuries to the back of his head. Witnesses saw Martin on top of him and Martin had stains on his jeans. Zimmerman said martin attached him and Zimmerman had a nose injury, probably the result of a first "sucker" punch. You couple all of that with Martin's extensive history of fighting (despite his girlfriend's lies to the contrary), then this is really a pretty clear-cut case of self-defense. The more non-biased evidence that comes out in this case, the more clear it becomes that the initial investigation in this case concluded with the correct result.
The police initially took Zimmerman's word for it w/o any investigation whatsoever. That is what ignited the firestorm.

Witness accounts have varied; some have been retracted. Lots of lying going on here. It will be up to the jury to decide who is telling the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You cannot dispute what you don't know to be fact. No one knows it to be an absolute fact that TM initiated the altercation. No eyewitness, no video, only the word of GZ. I'm not saying GZ is lying or not because the fact is we don't know.

There are several "maybes" as to what happened.
Maybe TM did throw the first punch?
Maybe TM got in GZ's face and GZ threw a punch or pushed back and TM overpowered him?
Maybe TM confronted GZ, gave him a mouthful, turned to walk away, and GZ grabbed him by the arm?
Maybe.............maybe................maybe.

We. Just. Don't. Know.
Agreed!

Another "maybe" is

Maybe GZ used "fighting words".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I hope that the jury is smarter than some of the posters on this thread.
Sadly, don't count on it.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:49 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
The insanity in this social understanding, is there are people who passionately want to understand an inexcusable murderous intent of behalf of what all evidence fully supports, a victim.

So its as though the victim's head, the one attacked, is still continuously being slammed into the concrete with ill- will.

Last edited by stargazzer; 05-26-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is no "strong possibility" that Zimmerman started the physical altercation. Martin had no injuries prior to the shooting. Plus, even if Zimmerman did start the confrontation, he can still succeed on a self-defense claim if Martin escalated the fight. The seriousness of Zimmerman's injuries are not dispositive to his self-defense claim. Zimmerman only needed to believe that his life was in danger. Evidence shows and witnesses concur that Martin was on top of him banging Zimmerman's head on the ground and Zimmerman said that Martin told him he was going to kill him. Sounds to me like he had ample reason to fear for his life.
Does that mean I can shoot up a liquor store because I believed the slurpee machine posed a threat to my life? Probably not.

Again, Zimmerman's injuries were so minor, hospitalization was deemed unessessary. I've seen bar fights end with someone in an abundance being treated for minor cuts and bruises. Zimmerman didn't even get that treatment. We have a trial set to begin because he clearly wasn't in any grave danger the night of the incident, yet chose to end a young man's life anyway.

Do us all a favor--when you get a chance, hop in your car and follow around a young man for several blocks in the dark. Make sure he sees you. Then exit your car within close range of him. Come back and tell us the reaction you got. THAT'S the confrontation Zimmerman initiated.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Does that mean I can shoot up a liquor store because I believed the slurpee machine posed a threat to my life? Probably not.

Again, Zimmerman's injuries were so minor, hospitalization was deemed unessessary. I've seen bar fights end with someone in an abundance being treated for minor cuts and bruises. Zimmerman didn't even get that treatment. We have a trial set to begin because he clearly wasn't in any grave danger the night of the incident, yet chose to end a young man's life anyway.

Do us all a favor--when you get a chance, hop in your car and follow around a young man for several blocks in the dark. Make sure he sees you. Then exit your car within close range of him. Come back and tell us the reaction you got. THAT'S the confrontation Zimmerman initiated.
Were Trayon's injuries life threatening the split second before that trigger was pulled?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:

No. The belief has to be reasonable.

This wasn't a bar fight with a bunch of people around. Martin was on top of him in the dark and in the rain, banging his head on the ground and telling him he was going to die. Self defense is completely reasonable there. It doesn't matter that Zimmerman was investigating a suspicious person at the time, that is not illegal.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
Quote:

Again, Zimmerman's injuries were so minor, hospitalization was deemed unessessary. I've seen bar fights end with someone in an abundance being treated for minor cuts and bruises. Zimmerman didn't even get that treatment. We have a trial set to begin because Zimmerman clearly wasn't in any danger the night of the incident, yet chose to end a young man's life anyway.

Do us all a favor--when you get acchance, hop in your car and follow around a young man for several blocks in the dark. Make sure he sees you. Then exit your car within close range of him. Come back and tell us the reaction you got. THAT'S the confrontation Zimmerman imitated.
Your analogies are worthless and an indication of an incapability to estimate anything.

1) A dark place at night outside has nothing to do with a bar with all kinds of people around.

2) His injuries show what was in motion, head slamming against concrete, thats how people get killed, one more slam in half a second could easiliy have been fatal.

3)So...if someone is looking for someone for any reason, and follows around to ask for help or anything at all, have you seen a young toddler for example...your version of society prompts what would be a logical expectation for violence...is that it..?

your idea of community and society is not deserving of any order.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The police initially took Zimmerman's word for it w/o any investigation whatsoever.
t.

not a big fan of facts I take it ?

after an investigation of facts and evidence, GZ was released due to no evidence that he did anything wrong.

(those are called facts)

Old 05-26-2013, 02:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
not a big fan of facts I take it ?

after an investigation of facts and evidence, GZ was released due to no evidence that he did anything wrong.

(those are called facts)
There was no investigation.

The Trayvon Martin Killing, Explained | Mother Jones

Sanford police didn't test him for drugs or alcohol after the shooting (such tests are standard practice in homicide investigations). He was licensed to carry his gun, and police initially told Martin's father that they hadn't pressed charges because Zimmerman was a criminal justice student with a "squeaky clean" record.

That wasn't entirely true, however; in 2005, Zimmerman was arrested for "resisting arrest with violence and battery on a law enforcement officer"; those charges were dropped. Media investigations and Martin family attorneys suggest that Zimmerman was a vigilante with "a false sense of authority" in search of young black men in his neighborhood. Police records show Zimmerman had called 911 a total of 46 times between 2004 and the day he shot Martin. (Florida guidelines for licensed gun owners state: "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies