Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There are at least 2 ways some of the info can become admissible.

The 1st is to impeach testimony that might be given about tm's behavior or character. If for instance, he's described by state witnesses as a guy who's never been in a fight or always acts as a peacemaker, things like that, it opens the door.

Second, you'll correct me if I'm wrong, is that in self defense cases the relative physial capaities and abilities of the victim and defendant are admissible. You and others have mentioned the weight difference as a reason to debunk gz's story. The defense should be allowed to introduce tm's Recent history of fights and his physical condition to counter.
IMO, it would not be very smart on the part of the State to have witnesses testifying that Trayvon was any of the things you listed.......or anything else about his being a "great kid." He was a teenage boy who got into his share of mischief just like most other kids, especially kids who grow up and live in big cities..(yet he had never been arrested and had no criminal convictions)....they won't be trying to convince the jury that he was just a "good kid" who never got into a fight, was always a "peacemaker", etc., etc. Seems to me that somebody is going to ask why he was staying with his father in Sanford at that time, and the witnesses will have to tell the truth.

As for the relative physical capacities of the victim and defendant in this case, IMO, they are not that different.....Martin was taller and Zimmerman was fatter. If it were a case where, say, a 200 lb man attacked a 135 lb man, IMO, it would make sense to bring it in. The advantage in terms of "physical capacity" in this case would be Zimmerman's because he had a gun.....I've heard people say things like "the great equalizer"......but don't get all freaked out, I'm just being facetious.

However, bottom line, I just don't know exactly what's going to be presented by either side, yet I still think the social media stuff, if admitted, will be very limited. And I could be wrong about that. It's getting so close to trial time, I feel certain all these questions as to what is or is not admissible are surely being argued by the attorneys in pre-trial hearings, or at least they are preparing for an extended hearing to sort these things out. These things are always dealt with PRIOR to trial so as to avoid having a mistrial if one of the lawyers says something which would be so egregious or so inadmissible as to cause a mistrial. Also, I confess that I'm feeling "too lazy" to do any serious research on this because we are going to know the answers very soon. It won't be speculation anymore. Within a month (if jury selection takes two to three weeks as O'Mara said) we'll be hearing the testimony and know what has been ruled admissible, know the State's theory of the case (which they will reveal in opening statements) as well as the Defense's theory of the case, and then the guessing will be over... Personally, I think there will be surprises in this case as there often are in such high profile cases.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
I think that Zimmerman was clearly in danger of dying of severe head injuries, and he knew it. If he hadn't had the gun, it may have been he who was killled that night.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:15 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
he should have never been arrested.
the entire thing is a travesty of justice,
the only reason he was charged weeks after the fact is due to racism.
ditto that!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
[snip]I feel certain all these questions as to what is or is not admissible are surely being argued by the attorneys in pre-trial hearings, or at least they are preparing for an extended hearing to sort these things out. These things are always dealt with PRIOR to trial so as to avoid having a mistrial if one of the lawyers says something which would be so egregious or so inadmissible as to cause a mistrial. [snip]
I think there's a hearing this week on admissibility of the fighting, drugs, texts, etc.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
In another text Trayvon says a guy got the better of him by sitting on him.
Interestingly enough, considering the grass stains on the toes (not heels) of Zimmerman's shoes, this is perhaps the most likely scenario. In the final minute or so, Zimmerman likely got the better of Trayvon and used his body weight advantage to pin his arms down while straddling him. Unable to extricate himself and staring down the barrel of a gun, Trayvon screams for his life, only to be immediately silenced by a single bullet. The misalignment of the bullet holes in Trayvon's hoodie and sweatshirt and the identification of Zimmerman's DNA on the lower left portion of the hoodie corroborates Zimmerman's statement to police that he pulled his left hand down and away to clear it from his shooting hand. And per the statement of at least one witness, Zimmerman was seen getting up immediately after the shot to "restrain" Trayvon, who was already on the ground.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I have followed it. That's why I'm saying you're just repeating gossip and you are SPECULATING regarding what was being said and what was really happening at the 7-11.

Just wait for the trial and see how much of the gossip you believe to be "legally admissible" facts comes out from the witness stand. You do understand, don't you, that the jury hears ONLY the testimony from the witness stand and have access only to admissible physical evidence which are entered as EXHIBITS, don't you?
I made no comment about what might or might not have been said; therefore, no speculation. I commented only on the security video and what it shows, along with the timeline. It will surely be a key piece of evidence. This, coupled with the facts of Martin's drug use, which is known, gives us a clearer picture of what was taking place that night; i.e., he was not on an errand to buy "snacks" as has been claimed by the MSM, quick to convict Zimmerman.

Much of what was reported immediately after the incident was factually wrong. The MSM even attempted to suppress the photos of Zimmerman's head injuries, which were severe. Also reported incorrectly was the size difference between Zimmerman and Martin, as the claim was made that Martin was at a distinct disadvantage. This is false.

We also know that it was Martin that approached Zimmerman, not the other way around. Martin was the "hot headed" agressor.

Much can be gleaned from examining the security video and the timeline, and as I pointed out in my former post, Martin's use of popular mixtures to make halucinogenic cocktails, the picture comes together.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Innocent? He was slamming Zimmermans head against the pavement, and would have killed him, had Zimmerman not found his gun in time. But the MSM attempted to supress the evidence of Zimmerman's head injuries, which were severe.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
To those of you that voted acquitted, I hope you're right. At least, based on what we know.
Hard to say how the media will play it, they always side with the poor beaten down minority regardless(tray on elementary school pics, anyone? haha)
But, the media loves blood and riots too so maybe they'll play neutral and let the courts decide.
I'm planning on seeing riots in my town conducted by people that can't even remember far enough back to recall Zimmerman defending himself.
Either way it'll be good to see this finished
Never knew so many CD posters here felt that blacks could basically act how they want in society.

It really has very little to do with race as it is to the attempted cover up by the police and "so-it-is-another-youth-killed" attitude. The fact of the matter had the roles been reversed this would have never taken place because trayvon would have been locked up. No one walks away after killing someone without a full investigation especially without a drug screening or a BAT and ESPECIALLY if that person already has a history of violence.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Innocent? He was slamming Zimmermans head against the pavement, and would have killed him, had Zimmerman not found his gun in time. But the MSM attempted to supress the evidence of Zimmerman's head injuries, which were severe.

Sure they were, oh by the way it was not against the pavement it was grass. Apparently his injuries were not severe enough for him to seek medical attention nor require stitches, which brings to mind if your head is getting bashed on concrete as hard as he claimed, he would have at least needed sttitches or would have had a minor or major concussion

Besides if he was not following him in the first place it would not have happened. Come to think of it, do you really think that he would have followed him in the first place if he did not have a gun? I don't think so.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Facts are clear. Self defense and the police did not charge him the night he was attacked. If the other guy had been a white guy, we would not see any complaints from the Media. But wham!. a Black Guy!!! oh boy....it has to be racism.

How about the fact that regardless of Trayvon race that the police let someone who killed someone else go without a investigation based on his word alone? If this had happened to your loved one would you still feel the same way or would you try to get as much media attention to this travesty of justice as you could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies