Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I thought that was interesting as well. zimmerman claimed that Trayvon was on top of him when he shot him so why was'nt he drenched in blood after he was shot, do the law of gravity do not apply to him as well?
Maybe that is a question about which the Medical Examiner can give his opinion when he testifies. I'd like to hear why there was no blood on Zimmerman, given the positions Zimmerman claims he and Trayvon were in at the time of the shooting.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
This Statute will not come into play unless they can prove that he provoked TM. Following what he believed to be a suspicious character with police on the phone so that he can report TM's whereabouts is not provoking.
You conveniently leave out little details....when you try to describe what was happening. The STATE will not leave out those little details when putting on their case. The jury will hear them.

You said, "Following what he believed to be a suspicious character with police on the phone so that he can report TM's whereabouts is not provoking."

In this case, YES. IT. IS.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You mean personally or in total U.S. wide?
Personally, several as the states I lived in required it for a misdemeanor not committed in a Police Officers presence and allowed it for any felony up to and including deadly force for a fleeing felon.

Nice try, really, you've got me Matlock! I confess, nobody is the legal eagle you obviously are. Maybe you should take over for F.Lee Bailey?

Now that you've got my answer show where I'm wrong. I'll stand by and wait.
I may not be a "legal eagle" yet I do know far more about court procedure in Florida and Rules of Evidence than you do. As I said, your posts certainly give the impression that you've had experience in law enforcement......you sound very much like LEOs who testify in cases. I never said you were "wrong," I simply asked you to give us some numbers in re how often or how many citizen's arrests you know of personally, and now thru any statistics you can provide.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
But should'nt they be doing something illegal in order to make a citizen arrest?
They "should" be but did they? Meh, who knows. That's why when you affect a citizens arrest you'd better be pretty sure or you may end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
For what reason? WWBB (Walking while being black)
If that's what you want to believe.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, give me another break! Do you see people in your area going around performing "Citizen's arrests" on people they THINK might be committing a crime? You're reaching. Trying to detain another person is not legal.

Citizen's arrest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In no state may an arrest for a misdemeanor be made without it occurring in the presence of the arrestor.[47] In the case of felonies, a private person may make an arrest for a felony occurring outside his presence but the rule is that a felony must have, in fact, been committed . For example, imagine a suspect has been seen on surveillance video vandalizing a building to the extent that the arrestor believes it rises to a felony due to the damage. If he finds the suspect and makes the arrest but it later turns out that it was misdemeanor damage, the arrestor is liable for false arrest because a felony had not, in fact, been committed.
First off, I wouldn't bet my freedom on Wikimaybe definitions. Second, if you'd read prior posts the description of a citizens arrest was already given. Third, no break needed. As I said before at the end of the day it's no more or less possible than many of the theories being floated on here.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I repeat...what misdemeanor, felony, or crime of any kind on the part of Trayvon Martin did George Zimmerman report, either that night or at any point since? It clearly states in the quote that I provided that, in order to make a citizen's arrest, the citizen must have something beyond a suspicion before they can detain someone. This is not Minority Report...people can't be arrested because an observer thinks
that a crime might occur. Your contention that it's legal to follow and detain someone is truly a dangerous idea to perpetuate...that flies in the face of any common sense measures that we try to teach our children to prevent abduction, rape or molestation. Never talk to strangers, never help the nice man look for his puppy, and scream like a banshee if someone tries to restrain you.
Wow, talk about a stretch.. Please, come down off that roof you may fall.

As for minority report, it must be just read some of the things in just this thread.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Who calls the police right before they hunt down someone and kill them? It doesn't make sense that it was premeditated. If he wanted to hunt TM down and kill him, I doubt he would have called police.
i believe he was following TM so that he would know where he was when the police arrived. That was GZ's mistake.... but not illegal.
It is possible that TM didn't like being followed and confronted GZ, and that's when a fight broke out.
I don't think Zimmerman wanted to hunt down someone and kill them. I think he just wanted to be "Superman"..."hero of the day" and was looking for an opportunity to "stop a criminal"...AND it could be that TM didn't like being followed and was therefore getting away from GZ, which made GZ upset, so he managed to catch up with Trayvon and, considering GZ's inability to control his impulses, he confronted TM and that's how the fight started.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I don't think Zimmerman wanted to hunt down someone and kill them. I think he just wanted to be "Superman"..."hero of the day" and was looking for an opportunity to "stop a criminal"...AND it could be that TM didn't like being followed and was therefore getting away from GZ, which made GZ upset, so he managed to catch up with Trayvon and, considering GZ's inability to control his impulses, he confronted TM and that's how the fight started.
I have the feeling your scenario is probably closer to the truth than most on here. I'd like to add that I believe it had nothing to do with being "racist" but race may have played into it as it does every day in any given city on any given street by thousands of people especially at night. Sad that it happens to be the case but it is.

I also believe that T.M. had a huge chip on his shoulder as many young men do and acted like a fool who's gonna show this idiot he won't be followed.
I think it escalated to it's final result with T.M. striking G.Z. after words were exchanged and it was off to the races with T.M. ending up dead.
Tragic? Yes it is. Stupid? Plenty of that on both sides. Criminal? We'll have to wait and see.

Until such a time as we've fully adopted the european model of a camera on every street and corner (headed that way quickly but that's another thread) we'll never really know what exactly happened.
Now G.Z. may well get OJ'd and face a heavy civil suit costing him millions he doesn't have, that wouldn't surprise me in the least due to the burden of proof being lower and civil juries being...well that's another thread too.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow, talk about a stretch.. Please, come down off that roof you may fall.

As for minority report, it must be just read some of the things in just this thread.

Seriously? Those are safety tips routinely given to women and children for safety reasons. I find it difficult to believe that anyone could be unaware of the statistics regarding rape, assault and kidnapping...
forgotten Elizabeth Smart so quickly? However, you have again refused to answer my question: When and what did Zimmerman say at any time to indicate that Trayvon Martin was or was about to engage in any
criminal activity? It has been made abundantly clear that any citizen's arrest must be predicated by some unlawful activity. Please provide a link.

http://www.asafeworldforwomen.org/ho...-followed.html

What to Teach Kids About Strangers — National Crime Prevention Council

[quote]
You should also talk to your children about how they should handle dangerous situations. One ways is to teach them “No, Go, Yell, Tell.” If in a dangerous situations, kids should say no, run away, yell as loud as they can, and tell a trusted adult what happened right away. Make sure that your children know that it is okay to say no to an adult in a dangerous situation and to yell to keep themselves safe, even if they are indoors. It’s good to practice this in different situations so that your children will feel confident in knowing know what to do. Here are a few possible scenarios:
  • <li jQuery1370572093519="28">A nice-looking stranger approaches your child in the park and asks for help finding the stranger's lost dog. <li jQuery1370572093519="29">A woman who lives in your neighborhood but that the child has never spoken to invites your child into her house for a snack. <li jQuery1370572093519="30">A stranger asks if your child wants a ride home from school. <li jQuery1370572093519="31">Your child thinks he or she is being followed. <li jQuery1370572093519="32">An adult your child knows says or does something that makes him or her feel bad or uncomfortable.
  • While your child is walking home from a friend’s house, a car pulls over and a stranger asks for directions.[end quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies