Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I had the privilege of attending Pride in Chicago. Over 750000 in attendance to celebrate their sexual orientation and recent progress made in equality.

I Remember seeing a float with 100+ same sex couples running through the streets holding hands with their partners and showing papers for domestic partnership in hand that was very nice to see.

For the most part it was too sexualized. Most of the floats displayed practically naked men jumping and gyrating to this irritating house music that showed a very stereo typical image of gay people. We won't touch on the clothing that was worn by the spectators. It was like a drunken lets get wild fest. People also had their children out there watching the mess.

I Personally will never attend another Pride event. I think who I sleep with is a personal choice. Pride is something that you have in what you accomplish not in your sexual orientation.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
I'm all for gay marriage and all that good stuff.

Doesn't make that type of show any less of a pathetic attempt at attention whoring.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I know gay folks that stay away from the parades due to the sexual nature of these parades.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
I think the Gay Lesbian movement is still in that "in your face" period, overtime as gay and lesbian rights become a matter of course along with greater social acceptance the more "raucous" aspects of Gay Pride Festivals will become more history than future reality...

But until then... I'm with you. I will pass going out to observe the festivities.

... having lived in the Bay Area, New Orleans and New York, I think I've seen it all. But it is interesting that here in Philadelphia the Gay Pride festival is about as tame as a suburban street festival.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
There are many festivals where people get drunk and go wild.

Even Mardi Gras where people actually do get naked to irritating music.

Yet it seems only wrong if people are gay and doing the same thing. It's plain and simple bigotry, and honestly hypocrisy, that it is okay to have drunken wild parties as long as the people who are doing it aren't homosexual. For shame.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
There are many festivals where people get drunk and go wild.

Even Mardi Gras where people actually do get naked to irritating music.

Yet it seems only wrong if people are gay and doing the same thing. It's plain and simple bigotry, and honestly hypocrisy, that it is okay to have drunken wild parties as long as the people who are doing it aren't homosexual. For shame.
Until your post, not one before you bashed gay people or professed any bigotry.
Simple observations of these parades.

Everything is not black or white, 100% or 0% acceptance.
There are numerous shades of gray in-between.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I don't think anyone said that.

Well, except you of course.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
A few years ago I had the privilege of attending Pride in Chicago. Over 750000 in attendance to celebrate their sexual orientation and recent progress made in equality.

I Remember seeing a float with 100+ same sex couples running through the streets holding hands with their partners and showing papers for domestic partnership in hand that was very nice to see.

For the most part it was too sexualized. Most of the floats displayed practically naked men jumping and gyrating to this irritating house music that showed a very stereo typical image of gay people. We won't touch on the clothing that was worn by the spectators. It was like a drunken lets get wild fest. People also had their children out there watching the mess.

I Personally will never attend another Pride event. I think who I sleep with is a personal choice. Pride is something that you have in what you accomplish not in your sexual orientation.
Really? That's not been my experience with gay Pride parades. Granted I've never been to Chicago's, but I have been to Pride parades in Denver, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, New York, and Vancouver. Sure there are a small handful of floats like you're describing, but far and away most of the floats and marchers are church groups, local businesses, charity organizations, and politicians.

I find Pride parades to be remarkably boring.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
gay pride , about as pointless as straight pride.

so a waste of time really

Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Until your post, not one before you bashed gay people or professed any bigotry.
Simple observations of these parades.

Everything is not black or white, 100% or 0% acceptance.
There are numerous shades of gray in-between.
There are shades of grey, but as stated as long as people are okay with everyone having drunk and wild parties as long as they are not homosexual...that is the definition of the term.

I am not a fan of any loud festival, I find it garish and annoying, doesn't matter who puts them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies