Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I would like a return to traditional gender roles where the husband works and the wife stays home and raises the children. It seems to me the root of much of the decay of this society is due to how there is no one at home taking time with the children. It saddens me to see so much of this.
the thing is, this was really only 'traditional' for a few privileged families in a brief period in history. This blog post explains it very well (and I have no idea what it has to do with Sarah Palin):

Think. Laugh. Weep. Worship.: Sarah Palin, "Stay-at-Home" Moms, and Women's History: Part 2

"Traditional gender roles" are largely misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why does it always have to be the wife who stays home?
Why can't the husband stay home?
And why does it always have to be the wife who endures pregnancy and childbirth?

Why can't the husband bear children?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
So, I am watching the Walking Dead (woot woot!), and its a zombie apocalypse show.

To cut it short, a small group has formed, and the chores are starting to be divided along traditional gender roles.

If we were to suffer a true apocalypse of some sort, think that would happen? I can see many women (and prob some men too) not wanting that.

Would survival dictate otherwise?
Yes, gender roles would revert to the traditional - because traditional is the natural order of how things should be.

Women actually WANT to be the housekeeper whilst the man goes off hunting.

The only reason this has changed is because of the off-centre fems.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,339,092 times
Quote:
No, they don't. Talk to me about what women want when you become one.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 PM

672 posts, read 811,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Would survival dictate otherwise?
To answer your question (not the right or the wrong as some posters are debating) it would depend on what fills the void of government and current laws.

If you are in a place where anarchy rules you will be at the mercy of those stronger then you and what is dictated.

If some form of control by the majority in your area is developed it will be the will of you and your neighbors.

So, if any is worried about such a situation ever developing, take a look at your surroundings, neighbors, majority beliefs in your location. What would you expect from them in crisis now?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,220,345 times
Knowing how we screwed up, would they want to procreate? I think the women would be raiding anywhere they could get BCPs, when you are fighting for survival, making babies is hardly high on the agenda and with our knowledge of the birds and the bees, folk would know how to avoid pregnancy.

The traditional roles may kick in with the kids as by that time, sex would lead to babies.

The weird thing is all these apocalyptic movies are set in the USA in an area 51 type setting. Put that in Africa and you have oodles of natural resources to feed from.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Society isn't decaying...it's improving.
subjective

Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,358,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Yes, gender roles would revert to the traditional - because traditional is the natural order of how things should be.

People don't work for fun. They do it to...eat and such/pay for kids college/rent/car payments.

Secondly, and again, it doesn't matter what women want. With our high divorce rates, that's quite a risky endeavor to not begin a career.

I know a woman with ten kids. She liked the idea of being primarily supported by her husband. She decided not to go to college because her husband was doing so well. Then he got laid off, and their family is deep in the hole. She regrets not going to college.

People will do what it takes to get by. If that means traditional roles, perhaps to add comfort and familiarity to society in otherwise unendingly stressful times, that will happen. If it means training the women to be sharpshooters, that will happen.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,195 times
for sure, they will do so if they need to, but the base drive is for women to build the nest, and men to bring home the beast.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,045,515 times
You can't speak for all women. There have always been some women who didn't want to be housekeepers but had no choice in the matter. If the zombie apocalypse happened tomorrow I'm not going to forget everything I've ever learned and put on an apron while my man defends me from zombies. There will be Lories, Andreas, and Michonne types if the zombie apocalypse goes down.

I would fall somewhere between the Michonne and Andrea type...Lorie was pretty much useless and I couldn't stand her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies