Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,253,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
After vote allowing gay kids to become Boy Scouts, some families call it quits - U.S. News

Aaron Butler, the leader of his 8-year-old son Evan’s Cub Scout Wolf den in Roseau, Minn., said he didn't explain to his eldest son exactly why they were walking away from an organization they loved so much, but he told NBC News that it was because of last week's controversial decision by the Boy Scouts of America to allow gay youth to participate.

“It was a big disappointment. He cried for about 10 minutes because I told him that Boy Scouts were not honoring their own law," Butler said, referring to the BSA oath that he interpreted as barring gay people. "They say it -- 'On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep [myself] physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight,” he said.
Morally straight does not mean heterosexual.

Here is what BSA has to say on the matter,
Quote:
Being morally straight means to live your life with honesty, to be clean in your speech and actions, and to be a person of strong character.
Boy Scout Oath, Law and Motto

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,240,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Morally straight does not mean heterosexual.

Here is what BSA has to say on the matter,

Boy Scout Oath, Law and Motto
Doing your duty to God is to obey God's Word. Homosexuality is abominable to God.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,178,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
That simply is not what I said.
Actually, that was what you did say, You may not have meant it that way, but it is what you said.

Just because someone quits the boy scouts over this, doesn't mean intolerance, and in fact the person who told their sone they were leaving because they felt the boy scouts were no longer adhering to their own standards didn't say ANYTHING about intolerance.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM

252 posts, read 264,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why is it so hard for you to understand? Most families who put their kids in scouting don't approve of the gay lifestyle and certainly do not want it promoted to their children. They don't want their children exposed to that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their decision to pull their kids out.
I understand that. You are correct, there is nothing wrong with pulling their children from scouts based on their religious beliefs. I don't think I said it was wrong. I still think it promotes intolerance, but that could be said for Christianity as well.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,178,382 times
Quote:
I truly wish I could help you understand my position better. I will try and I hope you help me understand yours. I want my children to be accepting of anyone who loves that and wishes to cause no harm. I feel that if I taught my children that homosexuality was something to segregate the family from, I would be unable to keep them from thinking that homosexuality is bad, or lower than heterosexuality. If they thought homosexuality was bad or lower, I think my children would not accept a homosexual as a friend and I feel that promotes intolerance. Is it blind to eschew teaching that to my children, and to think that it is probably hurtful for others to teach that homosexuality is bad?
You miss the point, the article said the man
Quote:
Aaron Butler, the leader of his 8-year-old son Evan’s Cub Scout Wolf den in Roseau, Minn., said he didn't explain to his eldest son exactly why they were walking away from an organization they loved so much, but he told NBC News that it was because of last week's controversial decision by the Boy Scouts of America to allow gay youth to participate.
He didn't tell his son they were leaving because they allowed homosexuals, he gave his sone a general answer. How is THAT teaching intolerance? Nothing was said about homosexuality or heterosexuality, they left. End of story.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,253,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Doing your duty to God is to obey God's Word. Homosexuality is abominable to God.
You don't have to believe in the Christian god either. There are scouts of all religions. I know a Buddhist eagle scout who is a den leader in our pack.

Sorry, but there are more gods than just the Christian one.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,453,385 times
Oh well.

They can always join the lame Royal Rangers and pretend there's no gay kids there, either.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,240,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You don't have to believe in the Christian god either. There are scouts of all religions. I know a Buddhist eagle scout who is a den leader in our pack.

Sorry, but there are more gods than just the Christian one.
Are you claiming that Buddhism, Judaism or Islam condones homosexuality?

12,980 posts, read 14,594,628 times
Quote:
I truly wish I could help you understand my position better. I will try and I hope you help me understand yours. I want my children to be accepting of anyone who loves that and wishes to cause no harm. I feel that if I taught my children that homosexuality was something to segregate the family from, I would be unable to keep them from thinking that homosexuality is bad, or lower than heterosexuality. If they thought homosexuality was bad or lower, I think my children would not accept a homosexual as a friend and I feel that promotes intolerance. Is it blind to eschew teaching that to my children, and to think that it is probably hurtful for others to teach that homosexuality is bad?
You are wasting your time trying to reason with people who think that homosexuality is a choice, an "agenda", ewww, and disgusting. They will villify gay people in front of their children, and have no desire to encourage tolerance. Quite frankly that type of attitude does not mesh with scouting principles, good riddance to them.

86,052 posts, read 84,652,019 times
Quote:
I understand that. You are correct, there is nothing wrong with pulling their children from scouts based on their religious beliefs. I don't think I said it was wrong. I still think it promotes intolerance, but that could be said for Christianity as well.
It has NOTHING to do with intolerance.
It has to do with faith and religion.

If anything it shows they are true to their faith by giving up something that was important in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies