Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM

252 posts, read 264,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, that was what you did say, You may not have meant it that way, but it is what you said.

Just because someone quits the boy scouts over this, doesn't mean intolerance, and in fact the person who told their sone they were leaving because they felt the boy scouts were no longer adhering to their own standards didn't say ANYTHING about intolerance.
"That is too bad, at least they were wearing uniforms before so that I could identify them. All jokes aside, that sucks because it is the parents indoctrinating intolerance. That hurts us all."

"so anyone who doesnt agree with your beliefs is intolerant? lol you cant make this **** up"

In what world are these statements equivalent?

Not agreeing isn't intolerant and I never said it was as you can see. Actively removing yourself from an organization because it tolerates gays is intolerant and it will promote intolerance of homosexuality in your family. More so, you do not have to mention the world intolerant to promote it, that assertion is actually ridiculous.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:28 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
History repeats itself.

When public schools were integrated and black children were allowed in formally all white schools, some white parents pulled their kids out of those schools.

Last edited by Clark Park; 05-31-2013 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It has NOTHING to do with intolerance.
It has to do with faith and religion.

If anything it shows they are true to their faith by giving up something that was important in their lives.
Let me see if I understand you correctly. Most cub scouts start in 1st grade and I'd assume are completely unaware of their sexual orientation. Once they have gone through the program for many years, and achieved many milestones in their quest for Eagle, but also realize they are gay, are you saying the Christian thing to do at that stage would be to expell them from the scouts?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
After vote allowing gay kids to become Boy Scouts, some families call it quits - U.S. News

Aaron Butler, the leader of his 8-year-old son Evan’s Cub Scout Wolf den in Roseau, Minn., said he didn't explain to his eldest son exactly why they were walking away from an organization they loved so much, but he told NBC News that it was because of last week's controversial decision by the Boy Scouts of America to allow gay youth to participate.

“It was a big disappointment. He cried for about 10 minutes because I told him that Boy Scouts were not honoring their own law," Butler said, referring to the BSA oath that he interpreted as barring gay people. "They say it -- 'On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep [myself] physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight,” he said.

Liberals tend to ruin anything they touch.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Of course parents have a right to pull their kids out of the organization. It's a voluntary organization after all.

The majority of the leaders of the BSA voted to end this type of discrimination. The decision was not forced on them by some outside entity or the government.

The Boy Scouts chose to be more inclusive. Some people disagree with that decision and they are free to leave.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Any family that truly values Christian morals will take their kids out.
Because there are no gay people in Churches.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The main problem is that people have forgotten history IMO. They don't realize where we came from as a people to get to where we are today. Human beings need leadership and strict discipline.

Whether you believe in God or not, the message has always been about the right way to live, the right way to behave, the right way to raise your children.

There is a force of evil working behind this, I am convinced of that. My uncle was a Catholic priest and he used to tell us kids that the struggle between Satan and God has never stopped. It is going on every day right before our eyes.

This country is turning away from God. We are letting anyone come in here and call them a citizen. Not even a basic background check on what this person has done in their life.

This liberal cancer has gone beyond the good it did when it fought for civil rights for oppressed people. Now it is attacking the very fabric of the country. This is not a joke, they are tearing America down for what reason or goal I don't know.
So when the Catholic Priests were diddling little boys years and years ago - was the Country turning away from God then?

Please.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Morally straight does not mean heterosexual.

Here is what BSA has to say on the matter,

Boy Scout Oath, Law and Motto
Yes it is because the Scout honor is (was) built on a foundation of Christian values.

'On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep [myself] physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight,”

Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 AM

252 posts, read 264,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You miss the point, the article said the man

He didn't tell his son they were leaving because they allowed homosexuals, he gave his sone a general answer. How is THAT teaching intolerance? Nothing was said about homosexuality or heterosexuality, they left. End of story.
If you take your child out of school because the school has decided to allow blacks, even if you do not tell the child the reason, do you not agree that that promotes intolerance? Try not to get hung up on the word teaching. If I say "I see your point", it does not actually mean I see something, it means that I understand? I didn't mean the man pulls his son to the side and tells him how terrible gays are on a blackboard and gave him a test on it.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can start by teaching them to accept people who want to live by their own moral standards. The truth is that you are in fact teaching them to be intolerant of such people.
Let me get this straight.

There's an organization for CHILDREN that has a policy of EXCLUDING some children who've discovered that the are different from the norm and acknowledge the difference. EXCLUDING is intolerance. It says, we won't tolerate you as one of our members. For the most part, since we are talking about CHILDREN, there isn't any sexual activity attached to the difference. There is no sexual component to scout activity that I know of, and the CHILDREN are supposed to be supervised. So the organization properly receives a lot of criticism for its intolerance, and decides to be INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE. It will accept CHILDREN who diverge from the norm into its ranks, but will require the leaders to follow the norm, as they are ADULTS who can be expected to engage in sexual activity, unlike the CHILDREN.

But there are some people who think the organization should continue to be and to teach intolerance. Those people are still free to teach their children their own moral standards, and to personally reject anyone they choose. These people decide that they can no longer be a part of the organization, as they feel the organization no longer reflects their moral standards. That's their prerogative. They also choose to go public with their decision, which opens them up to criticism by others. But you think that the people who are criticizing the people who prefer that the organization remain intolerant are also intolerance, and shouldn't voice their criticism. But it's okay for the people leaving the organization to voice their criticism of the more tolerant policy.

Everybody is entitled to their points of view. Everybody has a right to express that point of view. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies