Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times

Advertisements

Obama wants another tax So what is new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Just another example of liberals thinking they deserve every dollar someone makes, this is only the latest attempt to steal it.

So what if "the rich" travel more than "the poor"? That doesn't give government a right to more tax dollars. Tax dollars are supposed to provide services in exchange for those dollars. Exactly what are we getting for this tax increase? Nothing, not one thing. Obama claims it will be put to reduce the deficit - yeah right - when they could reduce the deficit by SPENDING LESS, something the democrats clearly have no intention of ever doing.

The people who travel more often use the government provided security more often. The rich should not expect the poor to pay for services that the wealthy use.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
should do wonders for the struggling airline industry
Struggling? They wish they had struggled this much the last 30 years. 4 corps now hold 88% of all seats-it is the same oligopoly the D3 once had. Not good for the consumer, great for the 4 corps.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The people who travel more often use the government provided security more often. The rich should not expect the poor to pay for services that the wealthy use.
lol, expect the poor to pay? What do they pay?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
If you had read the story:
Quote:
the government plans to use roughly 70% of the new fees—or $18 billion—to cover the deficit.
has little to do with who uses security.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
My husband and I are not in the 1 percent. We purchase at least one plane ticket per month, sometimes two.

This is nothing more than wealth redistribution.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i have mixed feelings about this. on the one hand i think that airline travel should be more expensive, especially on short flights, but instead of raising taxes on those that fly we should cut the subsidies given to the airlines.

but this just shows the true colors of the obama administration, again. he is a far left tax and spend liberal who doesnt care about the middle class. in fact he would rather have two classes, those dependent on the government for everything, and those not.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
So because I own my own plane but not use TSA I should pay more.

Get a clue. Its why I use my plane is to avoid the groping by Gov security.

And I am not rich.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Do I want to pay more in fees to fly? No, not at all.
Am I an adult that understands that things such as security are not free? Yes.

So, we either cut back on gate security or raise fees to cover the cost. I personally would love to see a more effective and efficient TSA instead of the security theater we have, but NO administration is going to openly advocate for less perceived gate security. It would be political suicide when an incident occurs.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Do I want to pay more in fees to fly? No, not at all.
Am I an adult that understands that things such as security are not free? Yes.

So, we either cut back on gate security or raise fees to cover the cost. I personally would love to see a more effective and efficient TSA instead of the security theater we have, but NO administration is going to openly advocate for less perceived gate security. It would be political suicide when an incident occurs.
The article says they are using that "extra" money to go to the Federal deficit.
It has nothing to do with running security at the airport.
They need revenue. It says so in the very first sentence of the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies