Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,389 times

Advertisements

Why does the mainstream media mostly focus on low income/inner city African American behavior? I tend to read a wide variety of papers online, which includes: the NY times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Atlanta Journal Constitution, CNN, Washington Times, and L.A. Times, just to name a few... Unfortunately, while reading these papers, I've noticed a very unsettling trend.

In a nutshell, I've noticed that much of the media (both liberal and conservative sources) rarely cover stories relating to middle and upper income black lifestyles, which focus on fitness, travel, weddings/relationships, entrepreneurship, education, retirement, investing etc. The only stories that blacks consistently appear in --are stories about crime, welfare, affirmative action, out of wedlock children, unemployment, and almost any other negative issue.

Even when there's an opportunity to write something positive, the media tends to over-ride it. In April for example, many of the papers had articles about the rise in suicide rates. Some papers however chose not to include the full facts pertaining to particularly high rates of suicide among white men and the relatively low rate of suicide exhibited by black women. Most of the stories did not break down the suicide rates by race. They simply reported the number of suicides under the "American" umbrella or by gender. In all honesty, this is fine, but one has to ask why don't they take the same approach when reporting crime, or any other negative issues?

In my opinion, the lack of positive media representation aids in the overall negative perception of African Americans, because people are more prone to associate low income behavior with overall African American "culture," because they only see negative portrayals of black life.

I'm curious if you agree with my observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
I agree the news focuses on alot of negative stories.
probably explains why people today seem pretty negative?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I agree the news focuses on alot of negative stories.
probably explains why people today seem pretty negative?
I think black Americans are especially impacted by the negative reporting. I recall things weren't always so negative, especially during the late 90s. When I was a child, I saw a lot of positive images of black Americans.

Now, many non black people seem relatively surprised when they encounter blacks who do not fit the media's portrayal of the "down-trodden" black person.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I think black Americans are especially impacted by the negative reporting. I recall things weren't always so negative, especially during the late 90s. When I was a child, I saw a lot of positive images of black Americans.

Now, many non black people seem relatively surprised when they encounter blacks who do not fit the media's portrayal of the "down-trodden" black person.
Is the media making up the news, or are they covering true events?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Is the media making up the news, or are they covering true events?
They cover events and write stories about society in general. My point is, they could incorporate stories about middle and upper income blacks. Why is the primary focus only on low income blacks?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Because these seem to be the people doing most of the murders in the US. You don't hear of many college kids doing drive by's.

Why are the Inner city AA youth so violent ??

Fort Worth child killed in drive-by shooting | Breaking News | News from Fort Worth, Dal...

Quote:
FORT WORTH — James Hardemon stood in his driveway Saturday night, listening to Chief Keef on his smartphone with a pair of earbuds.
Seconds later, a car pulled up in front of the house.
“I heard brakes, then shooting started,” said James’ 17-year-old cousin, who was inside of the home in the 4400 block of Eastover Avenue. “James was standing in the driveway. The car pulled away and I saw James just down on the driveway.”
James, a 12-year-old student at Dunbar Middle School, was shot in the head. He died early Monday at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
In a nutshell, I've noticed that much of the media (both liberal and conservative sources) rarely cover stories relating to middle and upper income black lifestyles, which focus on fitness, travel, weddings/relationships, entrepreneurship, education, retirement, investing etc. The only stories that blacks consistently appear in --are stories about crime, welfare, affirmative action, out of wedlock children, unemployment, and almost any other negative issue.
I once proposed a story to my editors about an African American honor student, from a two parent home living in the middle of one of the worst drug/violent communities. I was told that they didn't see much of a story in what I proposed because what was the news?? I rather impolitely suggested that since we covered damn near every negative story about African Americans a story about a successful two parent black family with a son who was on the straight and narrow was tantamount to man bites dog. Needless to the say I was never given the go ahead to do the story, but I did get to do a story about a black kid who murdered his white friend.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:

Which is interesting because during the 90s the crime rate in America was very high compared to today.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Ignoring the inner city events may be considered glossing over the areas which need the most attention.

Cover them and the charge of racist is leveled as it promotes a negative view.

Politicians and their activists tend to obscure issues to make their candidates seem as if they are making a difference and discourage coverage of assault and murder.

Murder and gangland killings will always make headlines over middle class humdrum lives. To showcase black families as doing well will also incur rabid charges of racism because the author would be convicted of treating black success as a novelty and yep, your guessed it...racist. Remeber when Harry Reid said Obama was well spoken and all the furor that caused. or was it Biden who said that?

Dam if you do, dam if you don't....HUD is now equating zoning with discrimination.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM

156 posts, read 116,316 times
Quote:
The media does cover middle and upper income blacks.

They are: Beyonce, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Kanye West etc.

In fact they can't get enough of it. Everytime I browse a news website there's atleast 3 stories about upper class blacks. Go take a look at huffington post. That news organization caters to blacks very heavily.

Besides, blacks are heavily over represented in television as it is in proportion to their total population in the U.S. anyway. I think Asians and Hispanics should be getting more media coverage. They're the immigrant populations of this century anyway. We've got more hispanics in the US than we have blacks yet blacks are shown on television more. That doesn't make sense.

And when was the last time you saw and asian man or woman in an advert on teleivion? Or even on the internet for that matter.

Blacks have had their spotlight, it's time for them to scooch over and let others have the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies