Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in extraterrestial life?
Yes. Those UFO sightings and abductions are "them." 32 22.07%
Yes. I believe in intelligent life, but intelligent life has yet to contact us yet. Those sightings and abductions are crazy people being crazy. 60 41.38%
Maybe to yes. I could believe that there are bacteria, cells, organisms on another planet somewhere maybe. 44 30.34%
No. All forms of life, as we know it in science, only exist on earth. 9 6.21%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 AM

156 posts, read 116,276 times

Advertisements

Oops. I voted the first option on accident, meant to vote second one.

But yes, I agree that life exists out there, it just hasn't contacted us yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
We'd better hope there's intelligent life somewhere out in space because there's BUGGER ALL down here on Earth!!! "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life"

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
Sound of reason.....I am not a scientist so forgive me if I make some mistakes. Planet earth is what, millions of years old? Humans are what, a few thousand. A small fraction of a small fraction of 1% of its existence. Why would he create this universe for man and wait millions of years to create man? Will humans as we know it be the last in line of life creations? Will something superior to humans be created at one time? Or should we believe that from now until the end of time, humans will reign supreme? I'm sure that's what the king of the pre-human world thought.

I'd be very apprehensive basing my thoughts of the universe off of the bible. Was it not written by humans? At a time when very little was known of earth, much less anything outside of earth? Didn't people at this time think the world was flat even? Maybe JC could have given a quick heads up during his trip here, 'oh I'm here to save you, follow this, that, and this. Oh yeah, and forgot to tell you dummies, the world is round.'

And you keep refusing to believe the possibility exists for other life b/c conditions do not promote life in a form 'as we know it.' If life was formed on those other planets, it would be tailored for life given the elements of that planet. As long as those elements remain consistent, life on that planet should be able to evolve. For all we know, other forms of life can be exponentially more advanced than us (think where just human intelligence will be in a million years time, if by some slim chance we don't eradicate ourselves from the planet. Maybe they have created the ability to 'hide' their planet

Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Sound of reason.....I am not a scientist so forgive me if I make some mistakes. Planet earth is what, millions of years old? Humans are what, a few thousand. A small fraction of a small fraction of 1% of its existence. Why would he create this universe for man and wait millions of years to create man? Will humans as we know it be the last in line of life creations? Will something superior to humans be created at one time? Or should we believe that from now until the end of time, humans will reign supreme? I'm sure that's what the king of the pre-human world thought.

I'd be very apprehensive basing my thoughts of the universe off of the bible. Was it not written by humans? At a time when very little was known of earth, much less anything outside of earth? Didn't people at this time think the world was flat even? Maybe JC could have given a quick heads up during his trip here, 'oh I'm here to save you, follow this, that, and this. Oh yeah, and forgot to tell you dummies, the world is round.'

And you keep refusing to believe the possibility exists for other life b/c conditions do not promote life in a form 'as we know it.' If life was formed on those other planets, it would be tailored for life given the elements of that planet. As long as those elements remain consistent, life on that planet should be able to evolve. For all we know, other forms of life can be exponentially more advanced than us (think where just human intelligence will be in a million years time, if by some slim chance we don't eradicate ourselves from the planet. Maybe they have created the ability to 'hide' their planet
About 4 billion Humans about 3 million

Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Sound of reason.....I am not a scientist so forgive me if I make some mistakes. Planet earth is what, millions of years old?
Approximately six thousand years old. [Radioactive dating produces incorrect dates, as seen through various studies which have produced dates of millions of years for modern day products. Deposition occurs in general swift, rapid deposition of multiple layers within a short period of time, confirming the Genesis flood. Those layers were not deposited over millions of years, rather they were deposited in a short time. Fossilization takes places under the right conditions in a short period of time. Fossilized hats, hammers, and other items have been found, indicating the fossils aren't necessarily millions of years old, rather much younger. The bulk of the fossils we find are from animals that died in the Genesis flood.]

The six thousand figure is based upon the geneology found in the Bible, from Adam to Jesus, and the date of approximately a little more than two thousand years since Jesus birth.

Quote:
Humans are what, a few thousand. A small fraction of a small fraction of 1% of its existence.
Six thousand years, five days after God made the Earth, for people were created on the sixth day, whereas a void Earth was created on the first day.

Humans are the same age as the Earth, relatively speaking.

Quote:
Why would he create this universe for man and wait millions of years to create man
He didn't. Man was created five days after the Heavens (space) was created. Both are approximately six thousand years old. The creation account is found in the book of Genesis.

Quote:
Will humans as we know it be the last in line of life creations
Yes. However, there will be the creation of a new Earth once this Earth is destroyed after Armageddon.

Quote:
Will something superior to humans be created at one time? Or should we believe that from now until the end of time, humans will reign supreme? I'm sure that's what the king of the pre-human world thought.
There will be no other creature on Earth that has dominion over the beasts (animals) of the Earth. God has ultimate authority. A pre-human world was all of five days. No time for any civilization to have a king.

Quote:
I'd be very apprehensive basing my thoughts of the universe off of the bible. Was it not written by humans?
It was written by God, of which God inspired men to put down on paper.

Quote:
At a time when very little was known of earth, much less anything outside of earth?
Sure, man didn't know as much about the actual planets of our solar system, nor nearby galaxies. That said, they did know of planets, galaxies, stars, as well as other celestial bodies. They knew of the generalities, though perhaps not the details or specifics of those generalities. But again, God wrote the Bible, inspiring men to put it to paper. He knew the details even though man did not.

Quote:
Didn't people at this time think the world was flat even? Maybe JC could have given a quick heads up during his trip here, 'oh I'm here to save you, follow this, that, and this. Oh yeah, and forgot to tell you dummies, the world is round.'
The Bible doesn't say that the Earth is flat. It clearly speaks of a round Earth. The idea of a flat Earth did not come out of the church, though perhaps some ignorant people, like some not in the church, adopted the idea after it became more common. The Bible has always indicated a round Earth.

Quote:
No. There is no other life on any other planets. God made the Earth a special part of creation. The Bible doesn't speak of other life forms on other planets, only those on Earth, because life only exists on this planet. All research, probes, and other evidence confirms this idea. Sure, we haven't explored but a fraction that there is to explore, but there is no life elsewhere. God has made that clear.

Because of sin, mankind is actually getting dumber [likely due to mutations], in my opinion. We have accumulated knowledge, which accounts for all the technological innovations, but the typical person seems to have less ability to think abstractly in a higher order manner than once was possible. Sure, people were less educated at one time, and most had less "facts" or "book knowledge", but their intelligence in general was higher.

Creation.com
Answersingenesis.org

Last edited by Sound of Reason; 06-07-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What is your opinion on the matter?
I think it's pretty much a fact at this point. have you ever seen E.T. or alf? aliens come to our planet to eat our cats, and our rieces pieces.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Approximately six thousand years old. [Radioactive dating produces incorrect dates, as seen through various studies which have produced dates of millions of years for modern day products. Deposition occurs in general swift, rapid deposition of multiple layers within a short period of time, confirming the Genesis flood. Those layers were not deposited over millions of years, rather they were deposited in a short time. Fossilization takes places under the right conditions in a short period of time. Fossilized hats, hammers, and other items have been found, indicating the fossils aren't necessarily millions of years old, rather much younger. The bulk of the fossils we find are from animals that died in the Genesis flood.]

The six thousand figure is based upon the geneology found in the Bible, from Adam to Jesus, and the date of approximately a little more than two thousand years since Jesus birth.

Six thousand years, five days after God made the Earth, for people were created on the sixth day, whereas a void Earth was created on the first day.

Humans are the same age as the Earth, relatively speaking.

He didn't. Man was created five days after the Heavens (space) was created. Both are approximately six thousand years old. The creation account is found in the book of Genesis.

Yes. However, there will be the creation of a new Earth once this Earth is destroyed after Armageddon.

There will be no other creature on Earth that has dominion over the beasts (animals) of the Earth. God has ultimate authority. A pre-human world was all of five days. No time for any civilization to have a king.

It was written by God, of which God inspired men to put down on paper.

Sure, man didn't know as much about the actual planets of our solar system, nor nearby galaxies. That said, they did know of planets, galaxies, stars, as well as other celestial bodies. They knew of the generalities, though perhaps not the details or specifics of those generalities. But again, God wrote the Bible, inspiring men to put it to paper. He knew the details even though man did not.

The Bible doesn't say that the Earth is flat. It clearly speaks of a round Earth. The idea of a flat Earth did not come out of the church, though perhaps some ignorant people, like some not in the church, adopted the idea after it became more common. The Bible has always indicated a round Earth.

No. There is no other life on any other planets. God made the Earth a special part of creation. The Bible doesn't speak of other life forms on other planets, only those on Earth, because life only exists on this planet. All research, probes, and other evidence confirms this idea. Sure, we haven't explored but a fraction that there is to explore, but there is no life elsewhere. God has made that clear.

Because of sin, mankind is actually getting dumber [likely due to mutations], in my opinion. We have accumulated knowledge, which accounts for all the technological innovations, but the typical person seems to have less ability to think abstractly in a higher order manner than once was possible. Sure, people were less educated at one time, and most had less "facts" or "book knowledge", but their intelligence in general was higher.

Creation.com
Answersingenesis.org
I have a unicorn farm I want to sell you.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:00 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
Oops. I voted the first option on accident, meant to vote second one.

But yes, I agree that life exists out there, it just hasn't contacted us yet.
What if they have, but the gov't hasn't chosen to tell you? I think those of other worlds are here, but there is a divine law that says they cannot interfere with our evolution. I have read that there are as many as 57 different races of beings in many forms. We live in 3 dimensions, but there are more that we are not aware of. They will not allow us to destroy ourselves and this planet. At that point, I believe they will reveal themselves or at least intervene.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Well, a mouse has been discovered on Mars.

Mars Rat? Blogger Spots 'Creature' In NASA Curiosity Rover Image (PHOTO)

Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
A typical response from someone who doesn't have anything of substance.

You simply want to disregard the fact that Jesus validated the scriptures, which speaks of the beginning. That beginning indicated the unique situation of the Earth.

Your sense of humor doesn't change this fact.

Hopefully, you will be able to see the truth.
You're insane. Your little mind simply cannot begin to grasp the enormity of it all so you rely on a fairly tale for an explanation. Religious nuts have always been the bane of scientific advancement. Remember how they wanted to string up Galileo when he proved that the Earth iwasn't at the very center of the universe? I find your primitive religious beliefs to be quite amusing.

BTW, you live in the south, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies